Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-16-2023, 12:52 PM   #11
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Adam on some skeleton butt guns you can actually see two plugs in the stock. I think they used those holes to add weight and then plugged them. That was what I was told. I will check my Parkers and see if any have those visible plugs. I will post a pic if I find anything.
Unread 12-16-2023, 12:53 PM   #12
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,430 Times in 1,647 Posts

The extreme in weight forward is a 36" 8ga but it's amazing how well our small group of 8ga enthusiasts shoots them. Given a little bit of practice you can adjust and they feel good and break targets.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 01:02 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,597 Times in 3,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
Adam on some skeleton butt guns you can actually see two plugs in the stock. I think they used those holes to add weight and then plugged them. That was what I was told. I will check my Parkers and see if any have those visible plugs. I will post a pic if I find anything.
Adam, Reggie is correct. Parker would drill out stocks to create balance a gun. The matching of pre-struck barrel weight barrels to desired weight characteristics is another method they used. In my experience, Parkers are generally on the heavier side and have what I'd call a "stable" balance. Even 24" 12s have great balance.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2023, 01:07 PM   #14
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,299 Times in 630 Posts

This is what I must be missing, no wonder some guns I tend to do better with than the other.

I can't honestly say that I've ever checked the balance of a gun, but then again there's not a bunch of money on the line and I'm just shooting for fun.

Interesting topic
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 05:23 PM   #15
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

I need a gun, whether it be a SxS, O/U or even a rifle, to balance pretty much evenly between my hands. I call it perfectly balanced when balancing at the hinge pin she stays horizontal.
Unread 12-16-2023, 05:27 PM   #16
Adam Steinquist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Out of boredom (or whatever else you might call it), I started keeping a spreadsheet a while back to try to understand common themes about which guns I like the feel of better than others and which ones I may shoot better than others. I track weight of different components (barrels, forearm, stock & receiver), the stock dimensions, chokes, and balance point.

To give a consistent point of reference, I always measure balance the balance point distance from the front trigger. On the gun in question (0-frame 16 GH), the balance point is 98mm ahead of the front trigger. For my other two 16s (1-frame VHs) the balance points are 105mm and 107mm ahead of the front trigger. For my 12ga 1-1/2 frame GH, the balance point is 118mm ahead of the front trigger and almost exactly under the hinge pin - this 12 is the one that I think I like the feel of the most and the one that I believe I shoot the best.

Have others seen that as the frame size gets smaller the balance point moves for they’re toward the triggers? Or is it that my modest collection shows trends that only hold true because of my small sample size?

My new 16ga GH is almost identical to my 12ga GH in every variable except for balance point and weight - the same stock dimensions, the same chokes, the same barrel length. I’m taking it shooting tomorrow and I’ll be curious to see how the balance point effects my shooting
Adam Steinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Steinquist For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 06:07 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

In 63 years of buying and selling Parkers, way more than 100 of them, and shooting every one of them, I have reached a conclusion. Don't whine, and learn to shoot. Oh, that's two conclusions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing those who don't learn how to shoot well and those who find excuses for missing. I'm just explaining that there are many shooters who do just fine with poorly balanced guns, guns with too tight chokes, guns with ill fitting stocks. They just work harder at it and shoot a lot. I will be the first to admit that some Parkers feel better balanced in the hands than others, but there are a bunch of additional factors contributing to hitting the birds. I remember a thread a while back about learning to shoot well with a .410. I didn't recall much advice about the gun, the ammo, or the shooting procedures. It seemed to boil down to expending more rounds. I don't agree with that simple explanation, however. I believe learning good procedures goes along with shooting lots of shells to make a good shooter.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 06:50 PM   #18
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

IMO, You can learn to shoot just about any gun but that doesn’t mean you are going to shoot consistently good scores with it. That requires a gun that fits you. And lots of practice.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 12-16-2023, 07:33 PM   #19
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,070 Posts

Bill, my dad had a saying: get a gun and learn to shoot it. He’d say that whenever somebody obsessed about something about a gun or blamed the gun for poor shooting. Kinda what you’re saying I think.
Unread 12-16-2023, 08:22 PM   #20
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Yearout View Post
Bill, my dad had a saying: get a gun and learn to shoot it. He’d say that whenever somebody obsessed about something about a gun or blamed the gun for poor shooting. Kinda what you’re saying I think.
Without a doubt when I had the first K-32 I shot very well be it skeet trap or what little sporting I did . But that gun had three barrels and Kolar subgauge inserts for the other three skeet gauges . That gun had a moderate Monte Carlo stock and stayed the same for all three games . Now it’s a bit different deferent shooting 4-10 guns at a shoot and all at the least are slightly different .

Tags
16 gauge, balance, weight