Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
The adjustable charge bars are a bargain because one bar will do everything you need. Of course that means having a powder scale to make sure you drop the correct amount, but one needs to do that anyway.

Secondly, you need a $10 food scale from China-mart to make sure you are dropping 1.25 ounces instead of 1.125 or 1.375. It works well in dialing in the right amount of shot.

Every different size shot drops a different charge weight from the same bushing or setting on the adjustable bar, so the adjustable bar lets you dial it in.
I believe it is best for the beginning reloader to learn the basics and simply use the standard MEC bars and bushings. Shotguns are not like rifles where accuracy and pressures are changed by incredibly small changes. A grain or two less of powder and a 1/16 of an ounce less of shot is immaterial when it comes to shotgunning. Getting good crimps and reliable safe loads is goal #1. As one becomes comfortable and proficient with the process one can choose to focus on the finer details of shotgun reloading. It is a learning process but the novice reloader will never go wrong using the MEC bars, bushings and follow the information in their bushing chart.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
All of the posts are very helpful. As of 5 minutes ago, I am now the proud owner of a MEC Jr. 12 gauge reloader off Ebay. I decided to start out with a 12 gauge and then keep my eye out for a good used 10 gauge one.
Congrats and welcome to the fold. I am sure you are anxious, do some reading on reloading until it arrives. Ask questions any time. You will find creating your own shells rewarding, I am sure of it.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
I believe it is best for the beginning reloader to learn the basics and simply use the standard MEC bars and bushings. Shotguns are not like rifles where accuracy and pressures are changed by incredibly small changes. A grain or two less of powder and a 1/16 of an ounce less of shot is immaterial when it comes to shotgunning. Getting good crimps and reliable safe loads is goal #1. As one becomes comfortable and proficient with the process one can choose to focus on the finer details of shotgun reloading. It is a learning process but the novice reloader will never go wrong using the MEC bars, bushings and follow the information in their bushing chart.
Pete and Mills,

My comments about an adjustable charge bar, scales, and cheap scale to measure the shot payloads were based upon the thread indicating we were talking about reloading the short ten, as it was indicated the expensiveness of RST 10 loads. I would not load for the short 10 without making sure everything was correct, since we were talking about composite barreled 10 GA Parkers in most cases.

I agree if we are talking about producing lots of 12 GA target loads to learn how to do it, you can get by with a fixed shot charge bar and the three bushings that usually come with the loader. That is what the thread is about now since a purchase of a loader has been made. As noted, the charges are usually light on both ends, with the standard 1 1/8 oz. bar dropping about 1 1/16 for me, and the powder bushings being up to a couple of grains light as well.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

Thanks J. A. and J. B. Just to clear up, we are talking about composite barrels and mixing shot equivalent to RST.

I am now starting out with a 12 gauge reloader with an eye to getting a 10 gauge one when I find one. I take it a 12 gauge is a little better for beginners and those of us who had trouble passing science and math.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Thanks J. A. and J. B. Just to clear up, we are talking about composite barrels and mixing shot equivalent to RST.

I am now starting out with a 12 gauge reloader with an eye to getting a 10 gauge one when I find one. I take it a 12 gauge is a little better for beginners and those of us who had trouble passing science and math.
Mills,
I think you will find that besides saving some money, there is a great deal of satisfaction in crafting your own ammo. I find it a relaxing pastime and when you shoot stuff like bismuth or nice shot, it is certainly cheaper than buying it already loaded. I have been loading since paper shells were the norm and a Pacific DL50 loader with Alcan wads was the standard.
I have learned that lighter loads work just great, save even more $ and are easier on decrepit and artificially repaired shoulders. If you have any questions just send me a note and I will be glad to advise. However I do not load steel and don't plan to.
Peter C.
Peter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Clark For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanks Duckman. Yes, I have heard reloading is a relaxing pastime and I need a relaxing pastime right now that costs less money. I am certainly not planning on shooting steel shot.

I will probably be circling back to this group once the reloader is here and I need to find out about all the other stuff I need to get started.

There are not many people in Savannah into classic side by sides and the ones who are look at you like you're crazy when you say you shoot with Damascus barrels.
Unread 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

I believe Michael McIntosh has a chapter on the advantages of lighter loads in one of his books. I am a real fan of lighter loads myself
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

mills you gonna love reloading especially the short ten...try finding a buckshot load for the ten or even a punkin ball...only your imagination is the limit.. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanks Charlie. I am looking forward to trying it out
Unread 10-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

You don't have to have a different reloaded for the 10. It's not all that much trouble to change the 600jr from 12 to 10. All you need to order is the larger ring that goes on the deprimpe station, a different start crimp, and the final crimp station. For short 10s get the short shell kit. All this can be ordered from Pression Reloading cheaper than from Mec. If it's not in their catalog they can still get it. Also, you should have a scale for weighing powder and shot and a $30 digital scale will do that quicker than a balance beam scale.