Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

PM
Unread 01-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default PM

Richard, Please check your PM's. Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I shoot a 2 5/8 Parker 10. A single edge razor can be used to cut shells - they're cheap. Just stick it in the dowel at about a 20 degree angle. Any load that works in a longer shell will work - there's just less room for shot and or wads. I like the paper wads - it's easier to adjust the wad height. In the Remington hull, the Cheddite primer works well for me. Why some people think you'd need less powder for a short shell is be on me - the volume of where the powder is has not been reduced. The available volume for shot or wads has been reduced. You won't raise pressure. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
I shoot a 2 5/8 Parker 10. A single edge razor can be used to cut shells - they're cheap. Just stick it in the dowel at about a 20 degree angle. Any load that works in a longer shell will work - there's just less room for shot and or wads. I like the paper wads - it's easier to adjust the wad height. In the Remington hull, the Cheddite primer works well for me. Why some people think you'd need less powder for a short shell is be on me - the volume of where the powder is has not been reduced. The available volume for shot or wads has been reduced. You won't raise pressure. Paul
If that is the case and I believe it is this would be a nice load for composite barrel 10's using the Rem hull.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...auge=10&lid=19
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pete, just my personal preference, 1265fps is unnecessary. Maybe that load is necessary for a clean burn. I'd try about 1.5 to 2 grains less - you'd have a little less FPS but would also lower the pressure. A lower velocity would mean less recoil. Shot that starts out faster slows down quicker so at any distance you haven't really gained a whole lot. A lower pressure also means less shot defromation. That equals better patterns. I have a IMR manual in front of me -in one load they have from 14.5 to 18.5 grs to give 1150 to 1325 FPS. Pressures go from 5,700 to 8,300. Good luck - Paul
Unread 01-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,791 Times in 3,967 Posts

paul what year of manual or edition is this IMR manuel...sounds like an interesting manual...i read this load with much interest i agree with pete this should be a very good load in composite barrel guns...plus it gives us one more loading for the short ten even though the original loading was for the 3 1/2 inch shell....this is the lightest load of lead shot ive ever seen for the three and ahalf inch shell charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Pete, just my personal preference, 1265fps is unnecessary. Maybe that load is necessary for a clean burn. I'd try about 1.5 to 2 grains less - you'd have a little less FPS but would also lower the pressure. A lower velocity would mean less recoil. Shot that starts out faster slows down quicker so at any distance you haven't really gained a whole lot. A lower pressure also means less shot defromation. That equals better patterns. I have a IMR manual in front of me -in one load they have from 14.5 to 18.5 grs to give 1150 to 1325 FPS. Pressures go from 5,700 to 8,300. Good luck - Paul
I agree with you Paul 100% on the speed being unneeded. I already went ahead and loaded some shells with 29 gr of Unique in the Federal hull with Fio primer. Had a good report, recoil felt normal, looked to be burning clean and killed a couple of crows.

What load/gauge and powder are you looking at in regard to that 14.5 to 18.5grains?
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

If you look at the fine print on that load, you will see that they tell you to use 6, yes, six, .135 card wads to fill the shell. In addition, it is an unbalanced load if you reduce the powder. Unique is not the powder to use in a 1 1/4 ounce ten gauge load if you want sensible velocities. You don't reduce the powder charge in a 7500 psi load to reduce velocity. You go to a faster powder in order to reduce velocity and at the same time keep pressures up. If you take this load and reduce the powder charge, the pressure will go through the floor and you will get squibs and bloopers, especially in cold weather. Read the "burn rate chart" to decide what powder you should or should not use. If you need to reduce the velocity in this 1265 fps Unique load, you should not reduce the powder charge, you should go to a faster powder, like Green Dot if you choose to use an Alliant product.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #18
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Another Unique load comes from BPI. Fed hull cut to 2 7/8", Fed 209A primer, 30 gr Unique, x10x, VP100 wad, 1/4" filler, 1 1/4 ounce lead shot, rolled crimp. Velocity 1130, pressure 7070. Fed209A increases pressure over Win and CCI but roll crimp reduces pressure.

Unique is a little faster than SR7625 which has given good service in the short ten.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Bill have you had a high rate of squib/bloopers with Unique and 1 1/4 10ga loads?
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,854 Times in 4,747 Posts

No, I haven't suffered bloopers, but I also haven't used the load. However, I do not think it is prudent reloading technique to take a very low pressure load and reduce the powder charge by a couple of grains of powder or to reduce shot weight without pressure testing. No, I don't think the gun is going to blow up, but performance and consistency may suffer without the shooter being aware of it. Not all bad loads sound bad. Unique is just too slow a powder to use in low velocity 1 1/4 ounce loads in a big ten gauge hole.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill, seems we have a difference of opnion. My IMR reloaders guide is from 2004 and in it for every powder there are 4 different powder loads when useing the same of everything else. They change 3 to 4 grains with velocity and pressures going up or down. With 21grs of PB - Rem primer - CB-1100 wad and 1 oz of shot the pressure is 3800 at 1100fps. Up that to 25grs and we get 5600psi and 1250FPS. I don't think 7500PSI is a really low pressure load that couldn't be taken down a bit. I haven't shot the one quoted earlier, but I have to believe there's a bit of felt recoil. If useing all the same components and powder is reduced a grain or two the velocity/pressure/ and recoil will go down. I noticed Alliant doesn't give more than one formula per load so I emailed them. Let everyone know what their reply is. Paul