Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

ptarmigan hunting
Unread 02-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default ptarmigan hunting

Am thinking about doing an ptarmigan hunt in Alaska. Does anyone have outfitters they have used ?
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I don't know of any outfitters who offer hunts but you might PM Rich Flanders as he lives in Fairbanks and might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Unread 02-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

This is a client of mine. Great folks, but a little pricey...He used to have Parkers to use.

http://www.wildalaskahunting.com/Ala...ting_Hunts.php
Scott Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Chapman For Your Post:
Unread 02-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sounds like fun. Years ago went on a fishing trip up in Alaska. Hired a bush pilot and his outfit was "Ptarmigan Air" and his slogan "We're not Chicken". By god he wasn't either. I asked him how he got the name a slogan and he said the there is a town called Chicken Alaska. When they tried to name the town after something all they could say was that there was all these birds out there with feathers on their feet and they looked like Chicken. Later they were told they were Ptarmigans, but no one knew how to spell it so they just called it Chicken Alaska. How creative.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The outfit that Scott gave the link to looks pretty impressive to me. The lake is way down the Alaska Peninsula at the base of the Aleutian Islands and is very remote. I can't see the lodge on Google Earth but it may not be at the lake. If you could afford a trip like that I'm pretty sure you'd be guaranteed of being able to shoot at ptarmigan until you were worn out. Much better than trying in the Alaska Range that gets much more hunting pressure. That's pretty stunning country down there too. I've not worked quite that far south on the Peninsula, but know it's guaranteed spectacular country and you'd never be "fighting the crowds" like you do hunting birds here around Fairbanks. Just the flight down there is mind-blowing. If you want the trip of a lifetime, I'm pretty sure these guys can deliver it. Only other option that I'm a bit familiar with is going with an outfitter out of Cold Bay, further down the chain. I have friends who hunt geese and ptarmigan down there every fall and one has taken a Brown Bear. Hunting there would be much cheaper overall but would be done driving out of Cold Bay on a daily basis and wouldn't be near as remote and private as this place.

And Todd, that really is how Chicken got it's name.

Turns out I have worked that far down the Peninsula, and a bit further down actually and not far from Wildman lake. The flite into Wildman Lk would be worth it just for the view you get of Mt. Veniaminof 22mi to the SE of the lake. I think I can see where the lodge is on Wildman Lk., on the NW end at the outlet. Here's what it's like working 50mi SE of Wildman Lk, on the more rugged side of the Peninsula. Can't say as I've ever worked anywhere much more impressive than this stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rich in saddle 7-13 mail.jpg (134.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Nick and Dave at Warner Bay 7-13 mail.jpg (169.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Geo group at prospect 7-13 mail.jpg (137.4 KB, 3 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yep I was pretty sure that was the right story about Chicken. No reason to doubt it. I thought pilot was creative.

Growing up in Southeast there are countless towns with funky and funny names and stories behind them. There was a town closed to where I lived as kid that was basically a crossroads of where 6 roads came together and it was called Scant City. Seems moon shining was big business back in the day when it got its name. It was not named because it was small place, its name came from the scant pint of shine that came in a mason jar. There must have been hundreds of stills back where we lived 80 to 100 years before and remnants were everywhere in those hills and hollars. I found two of them the hard way. Get 80 years of old limbs and debris covering and old rusty mash pit full of broken glass, jagged rusty metal, and what not is down right scary.

Alaska is stunning enough from ground level, but you'll never understand or appreciates its scale and grandeur unless you witness it flying, and not at 30K feet.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 02-14-2018 at 08:42 AM..
Unread 02-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard Thank you. This will be a trip of a lifetime. It has been on my radar for years and I have talked to the outfitter at Cold Bay and one at base of the Aleutians. Meeting with my CPA Friday and if things are not too bad I will book the trip. My two children understand that when Daddy dies they will be getting worn out Parker shotguns and empty Yeti coolers. I do not want to be in a rocking chair at the old folks thinking damn I should have done that.
Unread 02-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Butch and Kathy King, who run Wildman Lodge, have been clients of mine for over 15 years and are winter Texans, aka snowbirds. They are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

It is one of my dreams to get up there to fish and hunt ptarmigan, but with one kid in college, two in private school and one toddler, it might be awhile. Butch and Kathy will be retired before I'll be able to do it... If you go post pictures please!
Scott Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Scott thank you for the info. I understand where you are in life I have been there myself. But, I have been retired for 6 years my children are out of school and self supporting, my wife passed suddenly several years ago and it is just me and my Boykin. I am in great health ( thanks be to God ) and spend too much on guns, hunting and Miss State sports, but they are things I love. will keep you in the loop will post pictures.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Daniel G Rainey For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

By gosh I hope you get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: