Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-26-2016, 06:47 AM   #11
Quigley97
PGCA Member

Member Info

I used Hodgdon's website. Pick the gauge and it lists recipes with pressures. For my 12ga I use clay dot, 17grs with a CB4100 wad 7/8 oz. of 7 1/2 100 to 1299fps. at 5300psi. When "I am" on it crushes clays consistently.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #12
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm going to adjust my loads for 1200 ft and send to precision for testing. I will let you know the results when they come back in a couple of weeks. That clay dot looks like a great combo. May look into that See you in the field
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gentlemen

I have just go the results back from my second round of tests with Longshot...I really am impressed with the results. It seems to be very consistence in velocity and pressure even at slower speeds. I was looking for a 1200 ft per second load in 1oz. and 3/4 lead loads with low pressure. I wound up with a 1oz load with a avg. of 1182 fps and 5450 psi. Only 28 fps difference in the 5 shot string. Not bad. I also tried to slow down a small 3/4 oz load for skeet, I just wanted to see what this Magnum powder would do under such applications. I was amazed at it also. The first round I under charged the load at 23 Grains of longshot with 3/4 lead over it only gave me 1037 fps @ 2755 Avg. To slow for any use on mine. As I thought what it would take to get it to 1200 fps I pulled my 3/4 load I use now and it is 1185 @ 4900 psi with 700x so I just left it alone. But the Longshot was extremely consistent even at that psi and velocity according to the tests.
I plan on using the 1oz. load for dove,quail and the like.
For anyone needing a 1oz lead load, it goes as follows

2 1/2 Cheddite Hull
Cheddite primer
24 grains longshot
TUWG 2212 wad---- Precision Reloading #
1oz. lead.....
average 1182fps @5450

Note 25 grains of longshot to above combination will give you
Average 1233 fps @ 6038

Hope this helps someone.....Happy Hunting
See you in the field !.

Last edited by Kirk Mckinney; 01-19-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kirk, Hodgdons doesn't list Longshot for anything lighter than 1 1/8oz. It's 58 on the burn rate chart. Titewad, Clays, Promo, Red Dot, Clay Dot, 700X, American Select, and Green Dot all in the top 20. Powder companies have different powders for different applications, a faster burning powder for light loads. It's nice you took the time and expense to have the shells tested with Longshot, but I think there's many powders more suited to light loads that will burn clean even in the cold weather. Also, 5000psi isn't necessary for our old guns. Probably anything under 8000psi would be safe in any good barrel. And the higher pressures [ 8000 ] aren't going to crack the stock, that would have more to do with pay load. A 1oz load or less at 1200fps would be a low recoil load. Because I shoot just clay birds, all my loads are 3/4oz at around 1300fps for a clean burn and to help get the pattern to open up a bit. I think if you contact the powder companies they will send you a reloading booklet. Then it's easy to compare different loads. I got mine at the state trap shoot from a distributor.
Unread 01-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #15
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

As a side note, I have the Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR [ before Hodgdon bought them out ] , and Accurate reloaders guides. Because we sometimes sub in primers like Cheddites for Win, if you have to use the internet to look up loads it's a PITA, they won't show what you want. And even if you're using data they have it's hard to go from one load to another. You have to go into another screen. A trap shooting friend goes to the state trap shoot and every year he gives me the new reloaders guides. What a blessing. Because he can get them from the reloading dealers, they must still publish them for the public. Durnning this powder shortage it was nice to sit down, look at my guides, and pick a powder my dealer had that would do what I wanted. I find they had all the info I wanted without buying one of the Lyman manuals. JMHO's, have a nice day.