Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 12-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #11
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

What Pete said - six shot for crows.

Rich - curious what gun are you loading for the short 10?

When I need to raise the shot column, I like cork wads. They drop right in. It just seems to speed up the loading process than using felt wads not having to use a pick to ensure the felt is flat in the plastic wad.
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Richard, I brought two threads to the top [ TTT ] for you to look at. I think you'll find them interesting. I think your Steelmaster just a 600 with a collect to resize the brass instead of a ring. The instructions for adjusting the cam on the final crimp station would still apply.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 12-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #13
Carl G. Bachhuber
PGCA Member

Member Info

After about 50 years I broke down and bought an adjustable charge bar. I have a whole shelf full of old charge bars that have been 'adjusted' to get the exact weight of the desired shot; Adjustable is better.
I do not use an over-the-shot wad, doing my adjusting at the bottom of the column.
To cut the shells to length, I took a hardwood block, bored an appropriate hole through it, and cut to length. I use it with the band saw to cut the shells.
Fuss with the cam to get the crimp right. If crimped properly the first time, they usually will be ok.
Hope this helps.
C.G.B.
Carl G. Bachhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #14
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think the key to adding the over filler nitro card is to use lubed fiber cushion filler. The dry fiber fillers are hard and do not compress without a bunch of pressure. They also fly apart and can blow back into your face if the wind is right. Lubed they are softer and will compress a bit. Adding the nitro card over the filler allows for some compression and I've been getting perfect crimps since I started doing this. Also shot embedding in the fiber cuts down on the amount of shot that does the work. Much less chance of this when using a hard nitro card under the shot. Works for Cheddite, Remington and Federal hulls with both the 19 grain load of Red Dot and the load data using SR 4756.
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #15
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eric, I believe the lub is unnecessary, and you're the first one I've ever heard of using it. I've loaded short 10's for a number of years and never found it necessary. If you use the right amount of cushion wads, the wads don't need to be compressed. The hard card on top may help, but I've never worried about a couple of bb's sticking in the wad.
Carl, I too love the ACB's - they're on all my presses except the one I use for fixing screw ups.
I've started using Green Dot and like it. Forget now how much.
Unread 12-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #16
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Paul, I have been using lubed fiber fillers since I started loading black powder years ago. It does help keep the fouling softer than a dry fiber filler. I did not like the bits of the dry fiber filler blowing back into my face and when I started loading the 2&7/8 10 gauge I kept using the lubed 16 gauge fillers. It really does make a difference with blow back. Give them a try . I think you'd like them.
Unread 12-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Johanen View Post
Paul, I have been using lubed fiber fillers since I started loading black powder years ago. It does help keep the fouling softer than a dry fiber filler. I did not like the bits of the dry fiber filler blowing back into my face and when I started loading the 2&7/8 10 gauge I kept using the lubed 16 gauge fillers. It really does make a difference with blow back. Give them a try . I think you'd like them.
What blow back are you talking about, when the birds come in the wind is supposed to be going away from you
Unread 12-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #18
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

I suppose it would not be a problem if all the birds would be setting their wings and just floating down towards your blind. That is a beautiful sight!
Unread 12-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #19
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I loaded some 10ga shells today for the upcoming New Years Day shoot. The 19gr Red Dot and or Promo load is just so easy to load. Federal Hull cut to 2 7/8", Win 209 primer, 33 bushing of Red Dot, SP10 Wad and a 1/2 inch 20ga hard fiber wad (the old Alcan Feltan Blue Streak) and 1 1/8 ounce of #7.5. No fuss no muss, perfect crimps. They shoot great too.
Unread 12-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #20
RICHARD HOUSER
Forum Associate

Member Info

I took a few handfuls of the 10 short 19 grain loads to a range that has a couple of clay pigeon throwers (fixed position mechanical throwers). They are not fancy but they are strong.

My observation is that his load out of a modified choke was giving me clay busting hits at very long distances (40+ yards). I was letting the birds sail and choosing the shot on the descent (they are basically straight away shots).

I have never deliberately chosen to delay and never seen loads so effective at distance (with pleasant recoil). Is this the result of a "square shot load"? By this I mean that the shot column height is very close to the shot column diameter?

There were a couple of young shooters (maybe 30 years old) at another station. I asked them to each shoot 3 or 4 birds. I asked them to let the bird fly a bit before they engaged it. They each shot 4 birds, with 100% solid breaks. They missed nothing (young eyes). Both agreed that this was a fine long shot load and that nothing should be changed.

This was all with 7.5 size shot. I can't wait to see what the 6 shot will do for ranging.

thanks to all. rch
RICHARD HOUSER is offline   Reply With Quote