Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 10-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #51
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Longshot will reach speeds of 1450 fps from what I hear. Have it as fast as you want it.
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #52
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just wondering has anyone else tried the load on this thread? If so how did it shoot for you????
Unread 10-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #53
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

your load?

not yet-

first we need duck season

then we need water

then we need ducks

I've managed to build up a stock of bismuth and nice shot should we get any shooting
Unread 10-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #54
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Hey reloading friends.
I thought I would tell You about my fishing trip last week. We left the hotel in la Paz , Baja California Sur about 4:45. We made the 45 minute trip over to in English " the sea of the dead " named that because there is an old cemetery there. It was day break and you could see the calm bay that leads out to the Sea of Cortez. myself , Steve and the captain Efrain boarded a small boat called a Panga. About 22 or 24ft, narrow boat with no luxuries only a 2 way radio and ice chest and tackle. I made it known Marlin was on my bucket list. That was all that mattered to me. As we exited the bay out to sea with about 10 other boats the sun began to come up over the horizon. Calm seas it was a beautiful day. We had squid aboard for bait but the captain said we need bait for Marlin. So we begin fishing for bait. It seems a fish called Bonita was easiest to come by. Steve landed about a 3 pounder and the captain took it off his hook only to put it on mine and told me to start fishing. I laugh now thinking about it because it seemed giant for bait. We fished till about 11 am catching various fish but still no Marlin when a call came in on the radio from his buddy in another boat. We reeled in our lines and headed their way. As we pulled up beside them the captain grabbed a bucket and began putting sea water in the front bow of the boat. His buddy netted 2 fish about 1 or 1 1/2 lbs each and he put them in the front of the boat. This was the bait we were wanting. once on the hook and in the water it only took about 3 minutes and the line was ripping of the reel. Omg. For about 30 minutes all I could do was hang on. We had to chase it in the boat to recover some line. You would think it was pretty close to the boat then it would jump out of the water about a city block away. Lol. What a site. After 30 minutes or so I told Steve it's your turn as my arms were about to fall off. He reeled till he couldn't anymore then Efrain the captain took his turn. Around and around we took our turns reeling in and watching him run away. The strength this fish has is unbelievable. After about 2 hours of chasing and reeling I began to wonder if I really wanted a Marlin lol. We decided not to quit as we looked around and all the other boats had gone in. We knew that 2 other groups were waiting for us to make the 45 min trip back to the hotel. We began to really tighten up on the drag of the reel over the next 2 hours to wear the fish down. After the 4th hour we had the drag as tight as it would go. You couldnt even pull the fishing pole up from the rail of the boat and yet this monster was still not giving up. It continued to peel off line. After 4hrs and 20 minutes several blisters all over my hands, arms cramped up , burnt up with no strength left I told him to cut the line. Lol I was whooped. Steve gave up about a hour and a half before and was laying in the front of the boat. This fish won. Efrain said it would be at the least 450 lbs and probably more. I would have never dreamed these fish have so much power. I would have to compare it to trying to bring home a totally wild buffalo with nothing but a rope. Wow. We never landed it but had it right beside the boat several times. Woke up this morning. My arms would even open up all the way. Back sore, hands sore, blisters. Lol. I am writing that on off my bucket list lol. What a fishing trip. I told Efrain God was going to give me a Marlin. Be careful what you ask God for. Lol. A day I will never forget.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post:
Unread 10-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #55
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know what you mean Rick. My first hunt is Nov. 15th....We have had a lot of fronts blow thru...should be ducks...we will see
Unread 11-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #56
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rick....yes I guess you could say its my load ... I am finally published...lol Has anyone tried this load yet....I think its great. Not sure about cold weather effects , but would like to hear. I'm in texas....not to cold here

Last edited by Kirk Mckinney; 11-15-2016 at 03:10 PM..
Unread 12-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #57
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gentlemen. Finally got to hunt with the longshot/bismuth load. I thought I would give you a report. Went to a 40 aced lake here in Texas on public land. As we pulled up we saw flashlight shining on the north side of the lake. We got out and watched as 4 guys were busy putting out a spread. This meant only one thing, we were going to have to hunt with the north wind in our faces. We decided we weren't going to be denied as we put out or decoys. Any ducks coming into our decoys had to drop over the tall oaks behind us to either land in a small area behind the decoys or out infront of them. The only other option was to go to the decoys across the lake and land into the calm waters on the north bank. Not really the start I wanted. I had assumed since it was Tuesday we would have the lake to ourselves. As we sat with the wind and mist in our faces about 6 ducks came over the lake, circled a couple times and yes headed towards the other guys decoys. Sounded like 30 rounds went off as the ducks scattered and started climbing heading straight for us . Although they were kind of high and moving fast I drew down on one and let my Fox roar. Longshot is supposed to be a real slow burning and has mild recoil at these velocities and sound great . Like a rock that mallard crashed through those tall oaks. Stone dead. Great load. Happy hunting. See you there next Tuesday
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post:
Unread 02-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #58
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just curious. Did anyone else besides me shoot this load. Would like your input. Being new to shotshells reloading someone may have noticed things about it that maybe you improved on. Not sure. Anyone???
Unread 02-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #59
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Really !!! Out of 4k people that viewed this load....none tried it ???
Unread 01-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #60
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

Kirk,
I happened upon your Bismuth load and it looks like a good one. I may try this recipe with roll crimped loads. I like roll crimping shorter loads, then I don't have to mess resetting the reloader for crimping.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote