Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Shotshell reloading hand tools?
Unread 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Shotshell reloading hand tools?

I want to reload Black Power shot shells by hand, using the old fashioned method where the reloader put the shell in a cylinder poured in the powder pushed in the wad's, etc and seated them with a dowel. They had to be crimped using a separate roll crimping tool, of if using brass shells an over shot wad is glued in place.

Question: Is there a source for such tools to hand load shells the old fashioned way? I saw an old Lee Loader at a gun show a few months ago, passed on it and when I returned it was gone.

Question #2: Is it a foregone conclusion that we'll only be shooting non-toxic in a few years for everything?

Thank you,
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Steve

A search on eBay for vintage reloading tools will find you everything you need

Full sets show up fairly often - as well as the individual tools, prices vary a lot
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've purchased such tools off eBay for between $26 and $100 for a really nice complete set of 20 gauge tools. The photo attached is an example of a more than complete set. It includes a pliers like Berdan primer decapper/capper, two wad punches and other extras. There is no roll crimping tool included in this one offered for sale recently on eBay.

Yesterday I was at a local antique store and saw a 3 piece set for $97. I asked the owner of the shop when did it become a museum since the prices of the stuff in there was so high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old time reloader.jpg (12.9 KB, 102 views)
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Farrell View Post
I've purchased such tools off eBay for between $26 and $100 for a really nice complete set of 20 gauge tools. The photo attached is an example of a more than complete set. It includes a pliers like Berdan primer decapper/capper, two wad punches and other extras. There is no roll crimping tool included in this one offered for sale recently on eBay.

Yesterday I was at a local antique store and saw a 3 piece set for $97. I asked the owner of the shop when did it become a museum since the prices of the stuff in there was so high.
Thanks for the info. I've checked EBAY and have seen some of the reloading parts there, which is apparently the only source.

Thanks again,

Steve
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote