Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

8 ga unloading
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default 8 ga unloading

was sent some 8 ga loaded industrial shells by a friend of this board...as ya ll all know they are to stout of a load to shoot in a sporting gun..these shells are winchester with the clear hull and no 2 lead shot.. first thing i done was to take a small srew driver and prize the top wad out and saved it..then poured the shot into a plastic cup then i weighed the shot 3 1/8 ounce in these load. next thing to do was take a knife and cut the roll crimped plastic end off the shell..was gona use a 10 ga shell cutter but would not slip into the hull so used the knife a 12 ga woulda probanly worked but i did not have one..next i removed a plasic sleeve that was wrapped inside the hull guess it helped hold shot to a better pattern.. then next was apaper wad had to make a long screw to get it out...then next was aplastic wad cup over the powder about 1/8 inch thick.then i poured out the powder for i did not know what kind it was.. thus i had a nice hull with primer in it... then i took the old pliars and resized the hull..then i used 21 grains of reddot powder then used the old plastic cup then the paper wad card then added 1 1/4 ounce of that no 2 lead shot in theshell then topped it off with the top card then added a 1/2 inch paper wad over the shot to hold the load in i did not roll crimp it i left it as a brass hull would be fixed.i did not glue the top wad in because i was fixing to shoot it... put it in the old parker and fired it up in the top of a tall oak..was impressed by the way the limbs shook up there...but as every body knows 21 grains of red dot will not put no hurt on a 8 ga gun so no recoil but plenty of noise and woula brought outa the top of that oak tree the biggest squirl ever born... now i ve still got a hull good enough to reload several times andclose to 2 ounce of shot left...got to say thanks to the feller that made this evening shoot possible...thanks charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:02 AM   #2
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie you are very much welcome. One of these weekends I am going to get to work unloading mine. I do not know what to do with the powder. I have heard you can burn it off in small batches.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldon Goddard View Post
Charlie you are very much welcome. One of these weekends I am going to get to work unloading mine. I do not know what to do with the powder. I have heard you can burn it off in small batches.
smokeless powder will burn harmlessly (but very quickly) if you spread it out and run a little line of it to touch the match to so you don't have your face over it

you can also just spread it in the garden - works as a fertilizer.
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

There must be less expensive fertilizers on the market
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
There must be less expensive fertilizers on the market
hey - they are shooting 8 gauges

obviously money is no object
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,790 Times in 3,967 Posts

heh just because you shoot a 8 ga do nt mean you got a lot of money..seriouslythe old eight is a wonderful gun lots of tall tales and legends behind these old guns..was once the duck hunters longe range gun but today is usally just somebodys old dream gun that a few get to sgoot from time to time...if i got any money i hope i find it some day...woula probably had a dollar or two if i had not bought these old parkers and other guns...but i d rather have just a little change a nd a few shells in my pocket and of course the old parkers than have money..but you know i think im rich now i ve got all you old boys out there as friends and a parker or two...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,369 Posts

Last year skeet shooting champion Wayne Mayes, regarded by many as the greatest skeet shooter of all time, died two months after his clothes caught fire when he was burning old gun powder. No need to burn it when you can simply spread it on the lawn.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I hope the place I am working with to get you guys a those 8ga dies will come through soon and we can put an end to those pliers. I asked about them the other day and they said they had not forgot about them.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Wayne do you think they would still take an order?
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

What if you just used a 8 gauge industrial chamber reamer to add the extra step ?
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote