Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

HEVI-SHOT THROUGH TWIST & DAMASCUS BARRELS
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,679 Times in 870 Posts

Default HEVI-SHOT THROUGH TWIST & DAMASCUS BARRELS

I'm not satisfied with the tungsten composite shot on geese. It only cripples. I'm using American E and today I shot and hit four birds and only got one that was crippled and flew down finally, and another that fell 300 yards away. These were close shots, about 30 yards. Second bad experience with this stuff. Have not killed one dead with it yet.

I know Charlie would not hesitate to do this, but I'm thinking of loading some Hevi-shot in a 10 gauge SP10 wad for geese. If there is no contact with the bore, as the whole charge (1.5 ounce) of 4s is contained inside the wad, I don't see how it can hurt stout 10 gauge Parker barrels (Twist and Damascus). Pressure is about 7700 psi and 1150 fps for lead and I understand Hevi-shot may increase pressure a little.

Thoughts?
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,186 Times in 12,367 Posts

I didn't think there were any worries using just about any kind of non-tox shot and that the only problem might be steel with tight chokes???
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean,

The concern with Hevi-shot (tungsten, nickel, iron) is the hardness which is harder than anything else (much harder than steel) and permanently marking and wearing the softer composition damascus or twist.

But if it is contained inside a shot cup??? Large charges have shot outside the shot cup in factory loads.
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,186 Times in 12,367 Posts

The problem in tightly choked guns is that this hard shot will not easily compress as it tries to get through the choke constriction and could (reportedly) cause ring bulges at the chokes. This was always the fear with steel and tight chokes.... shot cups or not.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

All guns are full and full. The big shot (bb, t, bbb, etc.) will bridge and bulge is a concern, but I guess my question is number 4s in Hevi-shot should not bridge but be compressed by the choke, and contained in a shot cup, should not score the barrels in the theory developed by my little brain.

That's where the doubt comes from.
Unread 01-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
Holeshot
PGCA Member

Member Info

They make 10 gauge wads that are not split, I would use these if really concerned.
David Holes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,450 Times in 802 Posts

try bismuth shot, 1 3/8ths oz BB's and 1's for geese, they are killers scott
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

I have had great results with Nice Shot in my Damascus barreled guns. Rather than risk using Heavy Shot I would use either Nice Shot or large Bismuth as Scott suggested.

To start, "choke" is the measure of performance not the constriction that causes. Example, a gun that shoots 70% of the pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards delivers full choke patterns. That gun might have a barrel constriction of .025" or .045" depending on the shot size, shot hardness, velocity, or shape of the constriction. I'll use choke constriction rather than the erroneous term choke.

A choke constriction creates a venturi effect so that the shot squirts out of the muzzle. It is just like water leaving a garden hose.

Lead shot does compress a little but more so flows out of the constriction. The shot at the front is accelerated so that it is traveling faster than it was prior to being constricted. The very last pellets to leave the barrel were not squirted out at a velocity faster that they had when before entering the constricted area. This is why the shot string is longer for a full choke than the same load from a more open choke constriction.

Large round shot be it lead or steel doesn't flow through a choke constriction as easily as does smaller round shot. Shot buffer helps lubricate this flow. Heavy Shot being irregular shapes doesn't flow well at all.

Tom Rooster patented thick and plastic harder shot cup wads so that the second generation of steel shot could be used in tighter choke constrictions.

The wads in factory Heavy Shot loads are at least twice as thick at their thinnest area in their petals as the modern full choke constrictions. This gives the pellets a soft cushion it compress into should they not be able to flow via the venturi effect. One should cut open modern Heavy Shot and steel shot shells and study the wads used.

WARNING: The following is only for Damascus barrels that are in as new condition. They should be accurately measured for minimum barrel wall thickness radially. This inspection should be preformed by a qualified doublegun smith.

The following is not for a Belgian clunker, hardware store gun, of other piece of crap although they might be perfect test subjects...
Restrict this to Parkers, LC Smiths, Bakers, and other guns whose names have become legends.

If I desired to shoot Heavy Shot rather than Nice Shot I would do the following:
1. Use unslit wads made for steel shot as Holeshot suggested.
2. Add a mylar liner for extra cushion thickness.
3. Ensure that the total thickness of the wad petals is at least twice that of my choke constriction, i.e. .040" choke constriction being .020" at any radial of the barrel requires a wad petal of at least .040". I might start with total petal thickness that is three times the thickness of the constriction.
4. Use shot buffer made for Heavy Shot.
5. Ensure that the shot column is lower that the shot cup. Remember when the shot column is compressed it will increase in height.
6. Start with no larger than #4 Heavy Shot. Find the wads after shooting such as when you pattern your load. Examine those wads for how far the pellets compressed the plastic in the petals.

I once hunted with someone who shot Federal factory loaded steel shot through a #2 frame Parker with Damascus barrels which had .035 and ,040" choke constrictions. After 200 rounds that gun had no problems other than the stock.

Oh, when I got caught short of shell as a flock was coming in. That same someone handed me a half dozen steel shot loads which I shot in my #2 frame Parker with no bad results.

Damascus, the original nano technology is more elastic than fluid steel. I believe that if all else were the same such as bore size and choke constriction and shape, that the same load of lead or steel shot would cause the Damascus barrel to expand more than would the barrel of fluid steel. The is Young's Modulas in that everything is a spring.

PS: Only shoot steel or Heavy Shot through barrels that you can afford to lose! The old wives tales of the horrors of both Damascus and steel shot may come true...

Consider using Bismuth or Nice Shot

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 01-19-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,789 Times in 3,967 Posts

jerry im shooting 3 inchhand loaded steel bb loads through my lc smith as of now...and have shot lot of steel bb loads through the parker 8 ga with stub twist steel barrels...they pattern well no harm done to barrels...the 12 lc smith will take ducks at 65 yards clean with 3 to 5 bbs hits in the duck all dead...steel bb s will kill that goose too and wo nt break the bank or harm the gun barrels if you use good wads...charlie....
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I may just be crazy here, but why do they not make cast iron shot. It is roughly the same density as steel and much softer.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote