Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 07-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

OK I see how all this got going. Apparently you have to spell out even the obvious. You said it your self earlyer. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL. I was comparing apples to apples not apples to oranges.Same case same crimp ,same wad,same primer,same payload. the only to significantly increase or decrease velosity is to change the powder. Now I will admit to being a little lazy but I did check Sherman Bells data and it comfirms that when all else is equal that an increase in powder increases velocity and preasure.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Wayne,

No offence meant but WE do not know what powders Winchester uses to load their ammo. Chances are a big manufacture uses what ever is available at the LOWEST cost to produce a specified result. Their low recoil ammo could be at 6000 psi one month and 9000 psi the next so long as it pushes a specified load at the advertised velocity.

In reloading it pays to be accurate especially if you are sharing information on the Internet.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am baseing my analisis of this shell on felt recoil. I am most worried about a Split stock not my damascus barrels. Sherman Bell wasn,t building reloads to check preasures rather he was trying test damascus to the point of failyour. I think he did an excellent job and I use son e of his reloading data. I say this knowing that a lot of his published data came from outside sources. Buy the way I (personaly) would be very surprised if Winchesters tolorances on preasure were that wide.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Wayne,

I think we are on the same page!

Pressure certainly creates the energy to accelerate the ejecta but it alone is NOT a factor in determining the amount of recoil any load will produce in a firearm.

The attachment is from SAAMI for the Free Recoil Energy formula. It is teh most accurate and is pretty complicated. For our purposed here is an easier to use version from another forum:

Free recoil=

(weight of the bullet X muzzle velocity + 4700 X weight of powder charge)squared
__________________________________________________ ___________________
64.348 X weight of gun in pounds

The top line is divided by the bottom line. Sorry about the poor graphics above.

To simplify it even more this is a link to a recoil calculator:
http://kwk.us/recoil.html

Pressure creates movement of the ejecta against its launch platform which in our case in a shotgun. The movement of that platform is the recoil based on the total weight of the eject and it's velocity, both of which are countered by the weight of the gun. The heavier the launch platform the less recoil energy. Hmmm, in theory the less movement in the launch platform the greater the velocity of the ejecta although in most cases this would be darn hard to measure

Excessive recoil may crack our 100+ year old stocks, especially if a stock is soaked with decades of cleaning oil...

Excessive pressure will loosen an action of it too excessive produce a bulge in, or even burst a barrel.

The attachment is the Gun Recoil Formula from SAAMI:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GunRecoilFormulae_SAAMI.pdf (126.4 KB, 2 views)

USMC Retired
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Mark I have found the on-line recoil calculators (like the one below) to be quite informative. One must add the weight of wad and filler wad to the "bullet weight" to properly calculate recoil. Wads are light but they are not inconsequential, the AA12SL weighs 34.1 grains.

My favorite 7/8 ounce load, 1200 fps, generates 11 ft lbs of recoil in my 8 lb DHE.

Up the shot charge to 1 ounce and recoil increases 27% to 14 ft lbs.

If I shoot a standard 2 3/4 dram trap load of 1 1/8 ounce at 1145 fps recoil increases 54% to 17 ft lbs.

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanks Pete!

In typing the above I forgot about the mass of the wad!

It is significant that in increasing the shot charge by 12.5%, while maintaining the same mass of powder and wad, the recoil increases by 27%. I bet a higher velocity would of the same 7/8 and 1 ounce loads would cause an even higher rise in recoil!

Okay, it's back to my yard work!!!
Mark

USMC Retired
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Mark - Doesn't the calculator measure the total area under the curve? I think what most of us are concerned with is the peak pressure spike which occurs shortly after the round is fired. What I want in a "low recoil" shell is one with a minimal pressure spike, and a longer duration, which results in a push against your shoulder, rather than a punch. I think that's why slower burning powders are more comfortable on me (and the gun).

As a side benefit, I believe shot from a slow burning powder load patterns better, because it has not been subjected to the "jab", and isn't deformed as much. When I was gunning springer field trials, which requires that you shoot the birds at maximum range, (in order to see the dog's marking and retrieving ability), I was shooting 26.5 gr of 800X and 1 1/4 oz of hard 6's or copper plated 5's
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Were going the long way around the barn to tell me what I already know. The shells are as advertised. Now I didnt conograph the load But the recoil is mild and the noise level is low. Recoil is more of a precieved thing. What seems like a lot of recoil to one person dos'nt seem like mutch to the next person. I have used this formula and in the real world it dosnt mean much other than to tell you how much reaward thrust your load along with the weight of the gun will generate. How each person precieves that thrust is different. We have gone a long way from a load that IMHO wont break your stock. I am tickled to death that someone is manufactureing a shell and selling it locally that I feel safe putting through my doubles.
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Wayne the calculator can provide some useful information. A 26 gram load is a little heavier than 7/8 ounce. If I add 34.1 grains for a AA wad and use 15 grains as an estimate for the powder charge that 980 fps load is generating 8 ft lbs recoil in my 8 lb gun. That's 27% less recoil than my 1200 fps 7/8 load. That is going to be a very mild load.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
Gary
Forum Associate

Member Info

Instead of no recoil maybe we should say managed recoil..
the 980 load is very nice in the old SxS's. It doesnt beat you up or the gun..
Just not sure how great it is for SC.. works well in skeet though.
Gary Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote