Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 02-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #11
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

4759 was my go to powder for smokeless 45/70 & 38/55 loads. It's no longer produced. Switched the bigger cases to 4227 which is the most often used 32/40 powder . In the larger cases its position sensitive which is not a negative target shooting, if you mount the gun same way every time. Old manuals Recomended 4198, I don't know of anybody who uses it.

At one of the big long range shoots Quigly I think , several rifles have been blown up with 5744. All sorts of Internet arguments why. My guess is a double charge.

Really Black Powder is the best option with Trail Boss 2nd & I prefer Black by a large margin. Big cases are hard to load with smokeless. I had a Marlin 1895 45/70 tried my best to get good smokeless performance in NRA Lever Rifle Silhouette. (black not required) Gave it up for a 30/30, caliber that wins most matches . All that empty space has to dealt with somehow and the solutions all have negatives.

I still shoot some Pistol Caliber Silhouette with Black in a Marlin 1894 and clean up is not a problem, but a much better performer is a 2nd near twin 1894 in 25/20 using smokeless powder. Small case full.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote