Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 10-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #21
Ray Flanigan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Greetings All

It has been awhile since there was a post to this thread but since my question pertains specifically to the Sherman Bell recipes I thought I would revive it rather than start a new one.
I recently acquired both a Winchester 1901 shotgun. As this is a 1906 manufacture I want to keep the pressures low. Therefore I am looking to reload 2-7/8" shotshells. In looking at the data sheets I have two questions:

1. IF the recipe calls for a 6 point fold crimp and I roll crimp will that impact the pressure and if so up or down?

2. Many of the recipes call for a Federal 209A or CCI 150 or Rem 57. All I have access to in my area is Win 209. As I understand it the Fed and CCI are hotter primers so would I be correct in assuming that the Win 209 would work but it would result in lower pressure and velosity?

thank you for your help.

Ray
Ray Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #22
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Flanigan View Post

1. IF the recipe calls for a 6 point fold crimp and I roll crimp will that impact the pressure and if so up or down?

2. Many of the recipes call for a Federal 209A or CCI 150 or Rem 57. All I have access to in my area is Win 209. As I understand it the Fed and CCI are hotter primers so would I be correct in assuming that the Win 209 would work but it would result in lower pressure and velosity?
Hi Ray,

1. Normally a roll crimp will lower peak pressure. Be careful not to make the roll crimp too strong since that may raise pressure higher than a folded crimp.

2. A Win 209 substituted for a Federal 209A will normally lower peak pressure. Since the powder still burns and produces roughly the same units of pressure but over a longer period of time the velocity will only be reduced slightly.

Start with the lowest pressure load you can find. That way if you make a slight mistake you will be safe.

Load safely,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

he s tellin you rite... also look at pete lesters loading of 19 grains of red dot its a low pressure load and will kill a squirl clean at 50 steps ever shot... i wish i had a lod lever 10 ga... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Ray Flanigan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie

I see a couple of recipes for 29 grains and 31 but none for 19grains. Is there another thread I should look at?

thanx
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #25
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I would stay away from those Red Dot loads with 29 and 31 grains in the short ten, they would ROCK your world. Although they were published loads from 1968 by Hercules I put a note next to them that I would reduce the powder charge by 15 to 20%. Now that I have started using Red Dot I would make that a reduction by 30%.

19 gr of Red Dot with 1 1/8 ounce of shot is a tame and very effective load on clays and crows. It also stretches a pound of powder which in these days of hard to find gun powder is a good thing too. Try it you'll like it.

The 19 grain 1 1/8 load is not published, it came from experimentation and it seems like Charlie and I arrived at that charge weight as being ideal about the same time. I have also shot a lot of 1 1/8 ounce loads pushed by 22 grains of Green Dot so if you can get that powder it works good too.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #26
Ray Flanigan
Forum Associate

Member Info

thank you for the information. What shell, wad and fillers are you using with these loads. I know that locally there is Blue, which I have, Green and I think Red Dot.

Great stuff cannot thank you all enough. I cannot wait to shoot the 1901.
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

ray you will like the red dot load of 19 grains and the 1 1/8 ounce of lead.. ray i used the winchester and federal hulls cut to 2 7/8 inch used a winchester 209 primer 19 grains of red dot a sp 10 ga 1 5/8 ounce wad..now you will have to kinda play with a filler over the lead you can use various things a dried pea a grain of corn some people use rice krispies me i use a little toilet paper..this will make your crimp come out rite...i use a 6 point crimp on these loads or you can use roll crimp if you want to but then you will need a over shot card to make things look good..you will have to play around with the filler first few shells to get a nice crimp fold or roll crimp but want take you long to figure it out and make some nice looking crimps.. good luckand heh you can just use thick card wards over the powder i forget how many at the moment but you get good patterns even with no plastic wadding used...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #28
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Federal Hull, cut to 2 7/8", Wind 209 or Fiocchi 616 primer, 19 grain Red Dot, Remington SP10 Wad, 1/2 inch fiber filler wad, 6 point folded crimp.

I found the Red Dot load above to be an easy to reload load as I can use a 1/2" fiber filler wad with no adjustment.

The Green Dot load requires that I tear a small sliver off the 1/2" wad, to get a proper crimp. Both loads work well.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

The filler wads go in the plastic wad first, then the shot. A 16ga cushion wad works in the 10ga, a 20 in the 12. Ray, if you think about it, any 12ga medium to low pressure load would be safe in the 10ga. Because of so much more volume in the 10 over the 12, you're gonna have lower pressures.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #30
Cal Lego
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Attached is a PDF copy of the spreadsheet for loads I have been able to find so far for the short ten. The loads are exclusive of the Sherman Bell data many of us our familiar with. Please note I have given credit to the person who started the spreadsheet and shared it with me as well as citing the source of the information, some of it from the 1960's. Not all components are available today but I think the data is interesting and useful. It is obvious a variety of Alliant and IMR powders will work in the short ten. I thought it was interesting Hercules (forerunner to Alliant) did not bother to list hull type or primer type nor chamber pressure in the 1968 guide. You will need to zoom this to 200% to read it easily, I had to shrink it to keep my format in tact.

If you run across any other published loads please let me know about them and I will update this. Enjoy.
Hi J.B. I want to say thanks for posting the spread sheet. i did notice what appears to be an error in the amount of Herco used. I think the numbers must have about 10 grains added to the correct amount. I was using Sherman Bell's loads of 30 grains Herco and 1-1/4 oz. I might see going to 33 or maybe even 35 grains but 45 grains-29 grains Unique sounds right and Unique in a 10 gauge is right around the Herco range.
Cal Lego is offline   Reply With Quote