Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Northern Minnesota, Northern Minnesota Weather!
Unread 10-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,572 Times in 3,078 Posts

Default Northern Minnesota, Northern Minnesota Weather!

Several years back we adjusted our annual two-week grouse hunt to avoid the warmer temperatures we'd encountered in early October. Well, that plan worked...and then some. We drove the last leg of our trip up in a heavy wet snow storm, and it's snowed three more days since we've been here. It's also been 12-17 degrees colder than average. I've had to order more Musher's Secret to be delivered to us here as our supply is already dwindling. But...we are here and the dogs love it.

Flush rates are not high, but I attribute that more to where and how we're hunting in these snowy conditions. Before the second snow there were spots underneath the evergreens that were still snow free, and we had good success finding birds there, but poor success in getting shots. On our first hunt we followed a new logging road deep into the woods and found birds in the aspen whips. They all flushed out of range, and we have had many flushes from trees. Lots of hunting, very few shot opportunities. On the walk out we saw fresh (and very large!) wolf tracks and those of a wandering black bear, I assume headed to its den.

Aspen has had some nice points, and we're giving him the most opportunities. He is still a puppy, but coming along nicely. He had a nice find that produced a bird delivered to hand. The 1904 26" DH 16 did its job.

We've seen the sun all of 20 minutes on the day after we arrived, and not a minute more since. Yesterday I saw that it was 78 degrees at home in North Missouri (our high here was 28). I'd rather be here with Elaine and the dogs in Cabin #6. This makes year number 33 for us, and although we have different dogs, and Elaine and I are older (and feeling it on these cold days), the enjoyment we have in our hunts, watching our dogs do what they love, has not dwindled.

More snow predicted for Sunday.

Photo Key:

1. The forest roads have been okay, but the county roads are dicey at best. The ground underneath the snow is not completely frozen, and it's treacherous to drive. Thankfully, we know the area and its roads well, and there is almost no competition from other hunters.
2. Most of the water in the area is still open, and this is a banner year for swans. We've seen more than in any other year. A good sign.
3. Our 20 minutes of sunshine!
4. A nice find by Aspen. I'd like to report that we got the bird, but like so many of our chances, this bird was only heard leaving...unceremoniously.
5. Aspen made a nice point and retrieve on this young bird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62464703065__B18AB3A9-ED10-466A-B6C1-0AB6C3DB64D5.jpg (496.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3977.jpeg (351.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3961.jpeg (486.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4012.jpg (512.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3996.jpeg (431.5 KB, 6 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote