Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

lucy's first wild bird point and retrieve
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default lucy's first wild bird point and retrieve

My hunting buddy got a young female brittany last year, he hunted her a little bit last fall. They did some planted birds and quail etc. this spring. We have been going out a lot (he took most of his vacation time for the last week or so. His dog lucy is about 26 pounds, orange and white, and she is just a delight. We went to 300 private acres near lovells last saturday. Cash was doing very well, we moved about a dozen woodcock in a couple of hours, we took a break, and shortly after entering the woods, my buddy yelled out, Ed Lucy is on point!! He was really excited, the woodcock was about 4 feet in front of her, she was crouched down like a cougar ready to pounce, it was really a beautiful point. My buddy walked up, woodcock flushed almost straight up in the air, Lucy watched the bird the whole time, when it fell she was running right for it and picked it up almost as soon as it hit the ground and brought it back to my buddy. We were both just ecstatic about it. I felt like a "proud uncle" my buddy wanted to stay the rest of the day. On the way back Lucy had another "cougar like point" the bird ran off, but we were both so happy for that dog. We went out today and moved another dozen or so woodcock with 6 good points and shots from cash. Lucy got some more retrieves in today. I cannot believe how good I feel for that dog and my buddy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg darrenandlucy.jpg (515.7 KB, 6 views)
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,099 Times in 673 Posts

It is one of the most wonderful experiences seeing the light bulb come on for a young bird dog.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gary,
My buddy said he thought I was almost as excited as he was. We both had a good laugh, I think she has hunted harder and better since those 2 points, she seems more focused. He called me last night and couldn't stop talking about that day. The previous owner didn't think she was going to amount to much, so he gave her to my friend. The first thing I told my buddy was that cash was 2.5 years old when I got him. I think she is going to be a great bird dog, now she is quartering with cash a lot, they run almost side by side a lot of the time. Its really quite amazing to see this happening before our eyes. My buddy took this picture today I was walking in when cash was on point, lucy honored 4 times today, we were both so happy for how quickly things are progressing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edandcash.jpg (376.9 KB, 10 views)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 10-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Battue
Forum Associate

Member Info

Feeling good for a friend and his Dog is one of the rewards the Uplands give us....Well done....
Unread 10-31-2020, 06:01 AM   #5
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Battue,
Thank you, my wife and I sure got a lot of help with our brittany. We got our brittany when he was 2.5 years old, he had no training at all. My friends brittany is about that age now too. He saw how good our dog turned out, now he has hope. His dog really turned a corner in the last couple of weeks. What a noticeable improvement in her.