Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Barrels hook will not release from cocking lever?
Unread 04-16-2024, 06:22 AM   #1
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

Default Barrels hook will not release from cocking lever?

A friend has a Remington VHE-16 The barrels will not lift off? I removed the screw and dropped the hook so the get them off and the hook is working properly but the cocking lever may not be? I don't know how that part should work? It seems to move up with a click then down with a click? Any help please...thanks Big-K
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2024, 08:05 AM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,100 Posts

Good Morning Kenny , I have no idea why this is but over the years I have owned more than a few Parker Guns that the barrels wouldn't lift off ,but If I dried Fired the gun and dropped the hammers ,they would come off as smooth as silk ! Did you happen to try this before removing the screw ? Maybe Brian or someone that actually Gun Smiths on here would have the reason why , I don't but I know that always worked for me on the guns that just wouldn't lift the barrels !
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 04-16-2024, 08:36 AM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,654 Times in 3,100 Posts

Ditto to Russ' comment. I learned this from Bruce Day and it works every time. He said the issue was likely a worn part.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #4
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

This did not work. Any recommendation for a gun smith close to Ohio ? thanks all
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #5
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,557 Times in 3,108 Posts

Kenny, the issue isn't likely a worn part, but, more likely, old thick grease on the trigger plate. The cocking slide rides back and forth on the trigger plate, and when the grease gets old it isn't acting as a lubricant. The cocking slide isn't going far enough forward for the cocking crank to release the cocking hook. Also probably gummed up is the unhooking slide. As a temporary measure, get a can of brake cleaner (NOT Carb and Choke cleaner), and with the little tube in the spray nozzle, hold the receiver butt end up, and insert the tube into the receiver in front of the bolt and give one short squirt. You shouldn't need more than one or two short squirts. This thins the grease out enough to let the cocking slide travel fully. This is enough to get the barrels off, but now the gun needs a good cleaning and lube.
Going in the side and unscrewing the cocking hook from the barrel very frequently galls the screw and the water table. Some guns can be opened far enough to safely get the screw out, but many do not.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: