Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Fitting barrels
Unread 10-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Marty Weatherup
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Fitting barrels

I have a G Parker on a number one frame, made in 1890. The barrels are damascus and have a break on the outside about 4 inches back from the muzzle. It appears that the barrel must have dropped against something hard and dented the barrel and broke the outer surface. You can feel the break with your finger nail. It also has a distinct ring about 12 inches from the breech on the right barrel. I am certain that the barrels are not shootable but have found a set of frame one barrels in good shape. The barrel were made in 1883. Will having them fit to my frame be doable. I know I will have to have a qualified smith do the fitting, one who actually knows how to fit barrels. I also will need to find a buttstock for the gun as well if anyone knows of anyone who specializes in Parker parts. Thanks.

Marty Weatherup
Marty Weatherup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Barrels from 1883 will be hammergun barrels. I assume these are the ones on GB. These are a different lug configuration than hammerless guns. If you have a GH hammerless it will be an expensive project and it would be much easier to fit hammerless barrels. 1 frame hammerless barrels are a bit hard to fine.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Marty Weatherup
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don,

Thanks for the information. I compared my barrels to the ones on GB and they certainly don't come close. I will have to keep searching. I am considering having the barrels sleeved but don't know if it is feasible due to the dent and break in the surface of the barrel. Thanks again.

Marty
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Marty - May need a definition of terms - "Sleeving" involves cutting off the old barrels somewhere in front of the chambers and replacing with new barrels which are attached (Welded?) to the original monobloc. ""Lining" barrels involves boring out the old barrels and fitting a new liner into the old bored-out barrels. I believe that the process was developed by Teague in the UK.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Either of the processes mentioned by John D. will end up costing you circa $3000 these days. (I have had both done a number of times). I was at our local gunshow today and could have bought at least 3 GH Damacus 12 gauges from $800 to $1750. To find and fit a set of #1 frame barrels to your gun properly might cost $1200- $1500. Unless your gun is a sentimental favorite or in all respects pristine other than the tubes, you might have to consider the economics of the task. For $3000 you can buy any number of very nice Damascus DH 12 gauges let alone plenty of fluid steel ones. Sometimes, buying a gun with severely compromised barrels is not the best way to good gun if you have to pay someone to do the work and do not have access to a variety of spare barrels. I happen to be "lucky", I have a very good friend and hunting buddy who is accomplished gunsmith and does this kind of work when we come across a set of good barrels or a gun that is worthwhile enough to do the work on. But, as I said you want to use the resources on worthwhile project. Good luck with your gun.

Last edited by Don Kaas; 10-19-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Marty Weatherup
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don,

Thanks for bringing me back to reality. The gun is one that came with a bunch of stuff I traded for. It has no butt stock and no sentimental value. My interest in it was to explore getting it up and running again as a shooter but it looks like I would be money and time ahead to try parting it out and look for usable Parker. Thanks again for the advice.

Marty