Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Flea Market Find
Unread 07-23-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Default Flea Market Find

After wandering for hours at the giant flea market in Rodgers , Ohio, with my wife, and on the way to the truck, I spy a gunrack with several doubles. There were 3 worn out Smith 12 ga's, a 20 Nitro Special with a broken stock, and then I spot a long, lean smallbore, It was a Dickinson EState 28 ga, 30" barrels, 5 choke tubes, factory case, and patterning sheets from the factory. Straight grip, DT, LOP of 14 3/4". A lot straighter DAH than I am accustomed to shooting. He came quickly down from his asking price of $1900 to $1500. The gun does have some handling marks, a scratch on the head of the stock, but is in very good condition. I recalled someone saying that trigger pulls were sometimes a problem with them, but he allowed me to try them out, and seemed fine. Well, I was only carrying a couple hundred dollars, and he didnt take credit cards, but is only located an hour from me.
I recall some previous posts on these guns--Scotty traded his off , but John D. liked his--I tried a search but couldnt find the posts. Any body else own/shoot one of these? What's your opinion on these?
Unread 07-23-2021, 11:12 PM   #2
kirbylawson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a pair and like them a lot.

410/28 combo plantation
28 Estate

all long tube, double trigger, 14-5/8" , schnabel splinter, checkered butt.
choke tubes and case. very light and well made for the $2k each i paid new at cabelas.
Fit and finish are not parker reproductions but attractive price and good value for a user small bore IMO.

KL
kirbylawson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kirbylawson For Your Post:
Unread 07-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,195 Times in 891 Posts

Harold, I owned one two or so years ago. Purchased it new from CDNN for $1100 shipped. Had to send it to the Dickenson repair facility out west some where to have the triggers lightened up. They were set at around 10 Lbs from the factory. The gun was way long for me and after shooting it a bit I decided to part with it. Took it to the gun Library at Cabela's in Scarborough, Maine, and sold it to them for $1200. Seemed like a pretty well built gun but was just no for me.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Harold, one of our regular weekly shooting group bought the identical gun (I believe off GI) used but in high condition. It is a wonderful little gun but takes some getting used to due to the higher, straighter stock dimensions. He likes it very much.
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

have you bought it yet...I would...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #6
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Disapointed but not dismayed. The gent who had the gun met me today, but unfortunately the gun has 28" barrels, not 30's as desired. I had no tape measure with me Friday, and he thought they were 30's. I already have a nice Ugartechea 28 ga st grip, so I didnt want a duplicate.
Unread 07-28-2021, 10:40 PM   #7
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

I have had a 30" barreled .410 Estate (BLE) for several years. It's a great dove gun and quail gun. I ordered it with my dims and have really enjoyed it. A lot of gun for the $$$, IMO.

I also ordered a FAIR Iside Tartaruga Gold .410 (BLE) with 30" tubes, and my stock dims, a couple years later. I can't decide which one I like the best.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #8
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yep Stan would have bought it in a heartbeat if it had 30" tubes--and may still get one
Unread 08-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Similar to Stan, I own a Dickinson Estate with a .410 bore. Mine has 28" bbls., which are plenty long enough for my usage. At 5 lbs. 6 oz. this man-sized gun with a 14 5/8" LOP balances perfectly. I've never had an issue with it, although it comes with a lifetime warranty and a factory repair facility located in Oregon should it ever require fixing. It has been reported that many of these Dickinsons have heavier than desired trigger pulls, but mine came from the factory new with 4 1/2 and 5 lb. pulls.

What other offering at anywhere near this price point can you find a true trigger plate action (others that come to mind start at multiple tens of thousands of $$$), true bone charcoal case coloring, scalloped action, through-lump barrels, brazed ribs, chrome-lined bores, raised file-cut rib, proven Southgate selective ejectors, Turkish walnut stock and forend, claimed hand-cut checkering and hand-engraving? Like Stan says . . . "It's a lot of gun for the $$$."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dickinson trigger plate.jpg (79.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Little Dickins Right Side.jpg (197.9 KB, 5 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post: