Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #21
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I read that a couple of years ago... a terribly tragic tale.

"The Ledge is a story about a fisherman who takes his son and nephew out to go duck hunting on Christmas. ... When the story ends rescue people take the body of the fisherman home in his little boat with just the boot of his son frozen stuck under his arm."

Excuse me while I go suck on a gas pipe...
Unread 12-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #22
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,307 Times in 4,412 Posts

And I thought us watching the movie about Nakatomi Plaza was bad
Unread 12-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #23
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

"not a creature was stirring, not even a grouse"........
Unread 12-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
"not a creature was stirring, not even a grouse"........
Ding ding ding we have a winner!
Unread 12-12-2021, 12:08 AM   #25
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Andy, I recall reading an article that was probably the one you mentoned in the beginning of this thread. Only I thought it was closer to 40 years ago in either Field and Stream, Sports Afield, or Outdoor Life. It might have been more recently in Grey's though. As I recalled it the young boy's father had died and wasn't there to shoot the traditional Christmas goose that the family had each year. Times were hard and the family didn't have much for Christmas and no bird for dinner. The boy woke up early and took his father's SxS from the closet and went hunting without permission from his mother. It was near hopeless as no birds should have still been around. It seemed a Christmas miracle when he shot a goose. His mother came out looking for him and they walked home together. Does that sound like the one you were thinking of? It was extremely well written and I've thought about it often since I read it. It reminded me of all I had to be thankful for. I'm sure I have the story wrong. I tried finding the story and came across this.
https://www.saltwire.com/newfoundlan...istmas-172030/
Scroll down to "A Goose for Christmas". It's another person's memory of the story I recall. If it's yours too we're not alone in our appreciation. I wish I knew the author's name.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 12-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #26
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
Andy, I recall reading an article that was probably the one you mentoned in the beginning of this thread. Only I thought it was closer to 40 years ago in either Field and Stream, Sports Afield, or Outdoor Life. It might have been more recently in Grey's though. As I recalled it the young boy's father had died and wasn't there to shoot the traditional Christmas goose that the family had each year. Times were hard and the family didn't have much for Christmas and no bird for dinner. The boy woke up early and took his father's SxS from the closet and went hunting without permission from his mother. It was near hopeless as no birds should have still been around. It seemed a Christmas miracle when he shot a goose. His mother came out looking for him and they walked home together. Does that sound like the one you were thinking of? It was extremely well written and I've thought about it often since I read it. It reminded me of all I had to be thankful for. I'm sure I have the story wrong. I tried finding the story and came across this.
https://www.saltwire.com/newfoundlan...istmas-172030/
Scroll down to "A Goose for Christmas". It's another person's memory of the story I recall. If it's yours too we're not alone in our appreciation. I wish I knew the author's name.
Hi Bob, great reference to that article but I don't think it's the one. You're correct in that time fades a memory, it may not have been Grays Sporting. But I distinctly know it wasn't that type of story with a mother coming to meet a boy. It ended with him walking to a warmly lit home alone through deep snow carrying a Christmas goose and my recollection is that it was an adult or older man symbolically returning home. It ended there.