Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #41
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bruce: I should be a member. Not sure why I'm not showing up. I paid my dues-I swear!!!!

The Sharps I owned was actually owned by Cody's neighbor. He had a ranch next to Cody's on the North Platte River. It was his gun, not Cody's. I bought it from his grandson many years ago now. This fella had such beatiful handwriting that Cody had him do all the invitations for Cody's daughters wedding. Interesting side bit. He went on the Czar's hunt with Cody. I guess they were hunting buddies so to speak.
That old gun must have killed a lot of buffalo cause, while it looked pretty good, it was sure worn out. It was that slight Cody connection that caused me not even to try to fix the problem with the headspace and, of course, it bought a perm. price just cause it had a real Cody story to go with it. It was a neat gun. Wish I hadn't sold it now but I don't like owning a gun I can't shoot!
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #42
Pat Boccuzzi
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bruce,

Who cares if the gun is redone...... it is a real gem......... 90 percent of the Parkers have had some work done to them. And when your talking small bore graded Parkers I'll take everyone i can get from no case color to delgrego redone. Delgrego It the next best thing as Parker of Galazan rebuilding a gun. The funny thing is a redone Muscle cars / exotic cars if redone correctly it does not hurt the value.
Pat Boccuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #43
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

Jack, lightly struck patent lines on Parker water tables are not a sign of a refinish. Water tables rarely need more than a light touch in the refinishing process and faint patent lines are often seen.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #44
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,568 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
May I pose an interesting question?

Would, should or could Mr. Lien's unequivocal and forceful public statement of his opinon on this PGCA forum, whether correct, partially correct or not at all correct, have an effect on the value and saleability of that GHE 20 if the gun is on the market on this site, another website, gunshow, by a dealer or individual?

If so, what? What part does perception play in valuation of these guns?

Again, not my gun, I'm not a dealer, just a small collector, rarely sell a gun and I'm likely done acquiring guns. Just raising the issue.

Bruce,
If you are going to continue to address my statements in an earlier post then I would ask that you please restore your original post to which I made the statements. Please don't alter it, just put it back. As I said earlier;

1. I like the pictures
2. I think it is restored gun
3. I think your original post was just a for sale ad minus the "buy it now botton".

It's just my opinion , but I left it there regardless of if people agreed with it. I did not delete anything and then re-post something different. So please put the original post back.

Patrick
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #45
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

See your post #10 in which you quote the entirety of my text that preceeded photos I posted. I have no ability to restore deleted text with the forum program.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #46
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Patrick: I'm a newbie interested in learning as much as I can (and I have a lot to learn). What do you see in the photos that leads you to the conclusion it is restored?
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #47
Tim Sheldon
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I think that Mr Lein's post may well affect the price of the gun in a negative way, in the same but opposite way that it seemed that Mr Day's post may have affected the price of the gun.

Tim
Tim Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #48
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Tim - That depends on who is buying. A relative newbie with relatively thin wallet would say, "Nice gun, but it is very likely I can't afford it." And think nothing more of it. A relative newbie with fat wallet might jump on a gun like that without looking closely because he would not want it to get away from him. This is probably what has happened in this case. Bruce offered no endorsement of the gun, he simply presented it for our observation. I'd love to own a gun like that, regardless of whether it's been worked on or not. It's beautiful, but speculation drove its price way up. The first guy to flip that gun did OK. Now that the music has stopped, so to speak, the last buyer may have a hard time getting his return of capital, much less return on capital. Still a great gun.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #49
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

I'll buy you a beer at Dave Wunrow's trailer next time I see you, Ed.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #50
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

That's a deal Bruce. I love beer.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote