Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Briley's in Repo Barrels
Unread 02-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Briley's in Repo Barrels

Gents, I'm a newbie here and soon to be become a PGCA member. After reading the board for a while and a couple Vintagers at Pintail Point, I decided to take the plunge and buy a Parker.

Now before someone's head explodes, I'm not going to put Briley's in a Parker Repo. I'm purchasing a refurbished Parker which has been fitted with a set of Repo barrels in skeet/skeet. How exactly this came to be, or why, I don't know. It is what it is. Obviously, this is not a collector piece but a shooter. I do shoot some skeet but I plan to use this for hunting, clays and all around fun.

That said, does anyone know if these can be fitted with Thin Walls? And has anyone else done this?

Thanks for your assistance and great to be here.

New Parker Guy
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Welcome to the forum, Joe!

I had a Lebeau Courally with very thin walled barrels that had Briley choke tubes installed, so I have no doubt that they could put them in a Parker Repro. (by the way, FYI, that's Repro., as in "Reproduction," not Repo, as in "repossession."). You should simply call them and ask. They are very helpful.
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bernfeld For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Repro...haha...thanks for the catch, Joe and the info. I will call them. If anyone has done this, I would be interested to hear the results. I have Briley's in my K-80, purchased used this way, and as a result, it's become my all around clays gun. I would love that sort of fun versatility with my Parker.
Unread 02-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,274 Times in 12,389 Posts

Have you patterned the skeet/skeet barrels (presuming they are original Q1 & Q2 chokes) to determine if you really need to go the Briley route?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Joe, I've got thin wall Brileys in my Parker 12 ga steel shot special. They work great. Like you, I bought my Repro with the Brileys already installed. I've seen them in other Parker 12 ga Repro's that were not Steel shot specials, just standard guns. When you buy extra thin wall chokes, you need to specify they are for steel shot. The first tubes they sent me said lead shot only, I called, sent them back and got steel shot chokes in return mail. They(Briley) are easy to deal with. Make sure you lube your chokes a couple of times a year(Break free lube). I didn't and had to send a barrel to Briley for them to get it out. I had to buy a new choke cause they had to destroy the choke to get it out. Bill
William Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Stevenson For Your Post:
thin walls
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #6
timcornish
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default thin walls

The 20/16 combo I posted below has thin walls in the 16 ga set. Quite a convinience.
timcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks all for your good advice. Very good point, Dean, on patterning. I haven't yet. I will do so and if needed, go with the Briley's.

Happy shooting!

Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

I purchased a gun of difficult to find features that had Briley thin wall chokes installed. It would not have been my choice but they came with the gun I wanted. After shooting it for a while I have to say that I have no complaints with them. I ordered a light mod. choke from them and they had the guns bore specs on file so it was an easy do. Briley is first rate to deal with.

I always loosen and retighten any screw in choke tube after a session at the range regardless of make. If you shoot any of them for too long without breaking the seal they can essentially weld themselves into place. I also lube them regularly. A stuck tube can be nearly impossible to remove.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Joe,
William Stevenson is spot on with his advice. Briley can measure and tell you if your gun can indeed be fitted with Thin Wall Chokes. I have them as well, but they were already installed on the 3" Repro I bought used. When you get those chokes for steel, get them all. I use CYL/CYL for skeet and often sporting clays as they pattern perfectly at those ranges, but it is nice to have the flexibility of one gun that can do it all. Lt MOD and MOD is my choice for all waterfowl.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist
Ely, MN
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kleist For Your Post:
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,068 Times in 281 Posts

I bought a 28GA with 28" barrels that the previous owner had thin walls installed and it was a super little gun with the longer barrels. Wish I hadn't sold it and I've never been able to bring myself to do it to an original set of barrels. They do make the gun more useful. Briley is great to work with on chokes, not so much on other repairs. They do stand behind their work.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote