Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,415 Times in 4,593 Posts

This is a business that is constantly getting hurt and discriminated against. Nothing new. Just one more roadblock.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,397 Times in 3,073 Posts

Garry, it does hurt business for those selling below the “I don’t care” price point. If you have a C&R in a restrictive state ( CA and NY used to be the only ones) you need to find an 01 FFL who knows the law. The problem has become one where states quickly ram through a law, sponsored by legislators who, themselves, are not familiar with Federal Law ( I SO wanted to call them ignorant) Sadly, the days when politicians had the education, and balls, to get up in front of a committee, and say “ You Can’t Do That” are long gone.
As Brian says, we are an industry they are willing to throw under the bus. We raise children who are not like our fathers. We coddle and protect them until they take the path of least resistance. I genuinely fear for those of us who built our lives around a Constitution that protected what we love.
Sorry, I’ll get off my well worn soap box.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #13
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

Y’all need to move out of NY and into PA. The more of you “gun guys” from NY move to PA, the more we can keep the Philadelphia leftists in check.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 10-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

I hate to say this as I don’t like any of the negativity towards guns in general in our country . HOWEVER , go to another country and for kicks and giggles let’s say a third world country and try to legally obtain or import a couple firearms . I’ve been toying with it in the Philippines for about three years now and I’ve not made any headway so far . It seems what I am going to have to do is open a buisness over there a pistol/rifle range to be exact . Then I can get permits for my wife to have several firearms . I don’t want much , an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel , a Remington 700 HB in 222 , a CZ 455 in 22 LR , a CZ 16 , 20 or 28 SxS and a 1911 in 45 ACP . Heck over there you even need to get a license to cast bullets and reload ammunition !!!!!! So even with all the BS we have to endure here we are leaps and bounds above most other countries .
Unread 10-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,397 Times in 3,073 Posts

Craig, you’re correct that we are well off, however we are only doing so because there were sound minded people before us. Today, any rights we have are the remnants of what we had before. Next year, it will probably be less, and so it goes.
What will turn this around? Give nothing to those who do now wholly support the rights we have too casually considered permanent.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Another point to consider.

There's a difference between what the laws & regulations are and company policy. A gun dealer must follow all applicable federal, state & local laws, but they can make any policy they feel is appropriate for their business.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

But can they legally redefine or infringe our constitutional rights?.... as in "...shall not be infringed"?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #18
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,213 Times in 1,622 Posts

IF gun sellers make up their own regulations that are stricter than the law it is an infringement in my opinion. That being said in the case of the NY Safe Act it is so poorly written (purposely?????) it is interpreted in different ways. I was told by the Safe Act Hotline that transfers between NY residents requires a background check period, except between family members. Plus a C&R FFL is still valid for transfers from out state to a NY C&R Licensees. The Hot Line refused to give me that interpretation in writing, there in is the problem.
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #19
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
But can they legally redefine or infringe our constitutional rights?.... as in "...shall not be infringed"?
yes they can, the government is not supposed to, but companies can - such as a policy that an employee cannot talk to the press on an issue does not violate the 1st amendment . well you can talk, but you'll get fired

so as long as they as not relaxing the law, or breaking it outright (such as discrimination) companies have a lot of latitude
Unread 10-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #20
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
So I purchased a 136 year old Parker from Morphy's Auction. I'm a resident of NY state. The gun is listed as an A or antique in the catalog. My invoice said they did not have a FFL on file for me. Morphy's will not accept my C&R FFL because ammo is available for the gun so they need to ship to a FFL. My read is the gun is pre-1898 so no FFL is required. But a C&R should also be acceptable in that the gun is over 50 years old. I will have the gun shipped to a FFL but what am I missing?
Companies chose to be conservative and require an FFL and I don't blame them. My guess is their insurance carrier may require all transfers be to an FFL, given the litigious nature of the country - better safe than sorry, and there is nothing that infringes on anyones rights in doing so. The definition of C&R is woefully outdated and at some point will be revisited and/or litigated.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote