Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Sometimes One Is Enough....
Unread 12-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Default Sometimes One Is Enough....

Couple old friends from my home town live across the river in Missouri these days. They'd called inviting me over for a goose hunt /old guides reunion. The weather wasn't great and it's all local geese but I was keen to go just to get a visit in with them. The Sullivan Brothers! Progeny of the great Charlie Sullivan, the finest mouth goose caller that Southern Illinois ever produced.

I drove over and met them before daylight. Brian has a little farm and we hunted a blind just 100 yards from his house. First small bunch that came along was pretty shy, but with some hard calling (the younger brother Matt was even mouth calling!) we managed to pull a single out. Not feet down but swinging by at a decent 40 yards. They hollered for me to shoot and I came up with the big factory Parker magnum 10 gauge. Two shots rang out and the goose kept flying, I hung my head in shame on that little performance I can tell you. Of course they started ribbing me unmercifully, but that's par for the course when you hunt with old guides like us. Was good to hear some old fashioned mouth calling I can tell you, been more than 20 years since I'd heard it done.

What made me so ill was that about 50 percent of these local birds are banded. And the one that decoyed was big as a damn swan, an old huge bird that I'm certain was carrying some jewelry. I managed to shake off the miss and get serious again thankfully.

Next bunch, and what turned out to be the last bunch, was a big group of 40 that was even more shy than the first. But we gave them our best stuff and pulled out a pair, same deal though, just swinging past at about 40 yards. I jerked the big gun to my shoulder and pulled a strong lead, dumping the bird with authority, it falling through a huge pecan tree at the edge of the field. Brian the older brother held down the other with a good shot from his automatic. We let them lay thinking more geese might come along, I was dying a thousand deaths wondering if mine had the magic ring on his leg.

We sat a long time watching bunches of high snow geese fly over and telling tales of days gone by. Finally I couldn't take it any longer and legged it over to the pecan. I let out a war whoop that could have been heard a mile when I flipped the bird over and saw the band. The crushing miss was forgotten as they congratulated me on the shot, made me feel a lot better I can tell you.

Finally it was clear that no more geese were coming so we packed it up. Another friend of theirs was along so he got a great shot of us all together. Gawd what a motley crew and looking old, hard to believe what seems like just yesterday was 25 and more years ago when we were all guiding.

What a morning! Treated them all to a big breakfast in town and then headed across the river into another tale that I've told on my first posting.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1228140843.jpg (554.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1228140937a.jpg (533.8 KB, 14 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
KCordell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Very nice. Rarely, yet on sparse occasion, do we ever encounter banded birds here in the Chesapeake. Looks like a great day.
KCordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,233 Times in 454 Posts

Destry
Thanks for sharing the hunt!. I have never heard a mouth call for geese-maybe some day.
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

When I was a boy growing up there were handful of mouth callers in my area. The State calling contest even used to have a trophy for it. But with the advent of al these modern fancy goose calls it's nearly died out. Even Charlie Sullivan's daughter Ashley can mouth call. Wish she'd have gone along with us.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

destrey looks like you had another great day with friends.. i felt that miss with the big ten on the first goose..them must be your brothers youre pictured there with.one of them in the middle is sure big..great looking bunch of guys for sure...i ve never heard a goose call by mouth either can you do one by mouth..what a hunt...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,369 Times in 2,455 Posts

You guys look like you could be brothers in that last picture.
Unread 12-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I wish they were my brothers. The brother I've got isn't much.....
Unread 12-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,369 Times in 2,455 Posts

That's a shame.
Unread 12-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Destry,

You guys are related somehow... Anyway I think you all look better in black and white. I don't see any modern gear or clothing in this photo!

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Destry.jpg (119.8 KB, 123 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The Sullivan boys are fans of the vintage but it doesn't bleed over into their hunting attire that much. Notice they are both wearing Jones hats though!