Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

First Parker
Unread 04-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #41
Alan Phillips
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default First Parker

In November of 1976 I was shooting skeet with Bill Williams at the old Winchester trap and skeet club in Long Beach, California. There were a few shooters on station 7 on the field we intended to use. While waiting for them to finish I was drawn to the old gun one of the shooters was using. It looked and sounded like a very small sXs not usually encountered on a skeet field. When the squad finished and was walking off I approached the gentleman and asked about what I could now see was a Parker. He said it was a family gun and he only used it occasionally to shoot a round of skeet. Serial #241081. Straight stock, double triggers, original BT forend, 28" barrels bored ..004 and .003. and about 80% overall condition. I took a deep breath and asked if he would consider selling it. Without hesitation he replied yes but would accept not a penny less than $6000.00 for it and wanted cash. There was a branch of my bank just a few blocks away so off we went to close the deal. Upon returning to the gun club he handed me the Parker and I was astounded when he asked if I had any interest in the original case. Turned out it was a leg-o-mutton marked T.J.B. with the felt stockings. The grade of the little gun was a CHE. Good start to my Parker collection and a very lucky one.
Alan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Alan Phillips For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #42
Twoatlow8
PGCA Member

Member Info

18 years old. In the late 70’s till about 2001 in our area we had a local Weekly want ad paper called the Swap Sheet.
It was printed in another town and delivered every Wednesday, I knew the first stop it was delivered at and was there waiting at 10:30 AM every week.
This was before cell phones and internet.
One week there was listed was a Parker Bros. Gun 20 gauge for $200.00.
I called however no answer.
Back at that time I was a member of the local volunteer Fire Department, and the dispatcher had a Criss Cross book that crossed the phone number to the address.
I would drive nearby to a pay phone and stake it out till a car pulled in then make the call. I was always the first one there with this method!
The gun was a nice VH 20 gauge with 28” barrels my first Parker!
I remember the phone never stopped ringing while I was there!
I acquired many nice guns from the Swap Sheet!
Scott Janowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scott Janowski For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #43
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,338 Times in 364 Posts

In 1993 they had the great mid-western flood along the Mississippi River and I was in a gun shop in St Charles, Missouri when a gentleman walked with a large box of gun which had been in his flooded basement. Their were several Parker and I selected a 20 gauge PHE with 28 inch steel barrel. Took it to Paul Fucks in Alton, IL for a total restoration.
Then a 1894 Quality O, 12 gauge with 30 inch plain twisted steel barrels was acquired and sent to Paul Fucks again for a full restoration.
Followed by mint condition 12 gauge 1918 SC SBT with 32 inch barrels.
Since the first three all have been GH or GHE on various frames sizes and gauges.
Been collecting Parkers since I was 42 years old, however all are shot on a regular bases or they are sold!!!
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Davis For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #44
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,001 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I have a few Parkers and will buy more. The hard part is selling them. I don't have a Parker I don't like and hardly have one I don't like to shoot. I have shot competitive skeet and sporting clays since I was a teenager, got the big cards and won a few bucks. I shot all over Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia and some NSSA World Shoots in Georgia. Now I only shoot double guns for money, no matter what the game. I may not win much, but I'm shooting my Parkers. Our pigeon club is full of double gun guys, most of whom shoot side by sides in competition, win or lose. I bought my first Parker in 1960 when I was 14, a 28 gauge that I still have. I have every kind of double gun, but the Parker is king. I like big guns and I like little guns. Eights and .410s are my favorites, but I have everything else too. I would rather shoot a hammer gun and I do shoot them a lot. My favorite is Austin Hogan's old 32" #3 frame lifter 12. Ron Kirby found me a great .410 VHE skeet gun and I bought two great 32" smallbores on this forum. Our members have helped me a lot with my collection although I was buying Parkers long before the PGCA and for 38 years before we copied the records at Ilion. Imagine how hard it would be to write a big check for a Parker without a PGCA letter of documentation. Well, we did it.
I have always wanted a 28 ga , now the 10 ga will probably always be my favorite . But theres just something interesting about a 28 ga . I wish Parker had made a damascus/twist barreled 28 ga .

This Parker is also my first American made sxs , the two other doubles I owned were Birmingham made guns .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #45
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

Parker did make grades 28 gauge guns with Damascus bbls but rare and very pricey
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #46
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

Look T GI #101497660
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #47
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I have always wanted a 28 ga , now the 10 ga will probably always be my favorite . But theres just something interesting about a 28 ga . I wish Parker had made a damascus/twist barreled 28 ga.

I have one - a DHE with Damascus barrels, the only known Parker of any grade with 24”, 28 gauge Damascus barrels.

Robin Hollow has one for sale in high original condition with 28” barrels.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #48
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,871 Times in 4,755 Posts

Milton, stick with the tens. Tell us about the #6 frame ten you recently bought.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #49
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

I was 27 when I bought my first Parker, a 28" Trojan 12ga in 1984. I really didn't know much about them but a good friend had a Trojan that he used for upland bird hunting and it was a pride and joy that he spoke highly of. Whenever he made a good shot on a Grouse or Woodcock he would say he Parkerized it. I was in the USAF at the time and was getting ready to go on a remote assignment to a radar station in Iceland. I had rented my house and I was selling my Jeep because I could not have nor would I need a vehicle on that one year assignment, that gave me a little bit of extra money. I don't remember why I had gone to a local gunsmiths shop but he had two Trojan's for sale on consignment, a 12 and 20. The day I was to fly out of Boston was a Monday in December. I had a lot to do that day including the sale of my Jeep but I decided to go to a farm I hunted since I was teenager, it was a farm that bordered a brakish river and it had a cove where we hunted ducks. It was dead low tide at first light and saw some ducks in a channel that I could sneak up on by walking in the mud and staying below the banking. The channel had a turn and I knew when I came around the corner the ducks would be in range. It worked and as they flushed I pulled the front trigger and dropped a Black duck. I swung to the next target, a Greenhead and pulled the front trigger again, it was my first time shooting a gun with two triggers. I walked over and picked up the Black looking it over when I looked up and saw five mallards cupping in. They were 90 degrees to my position and about 45 yards away. I had a couple of seconds to react. I had not opened the gun and reloaded but the left barrel still had a 1 1/4 ounce of lead #4 in it. I was still holding the Black duck in my left hand and I rested the forearm of the gun on my forearm, picked out a Greenhead and dropped it. I was thrilled, two ducks with the first two shoots from my first Parker. I was convinced that my friend was right and there was something special about a Parker shotgun. I took Peter Johnson's book with me to Iceland and read it a couple of times, that was about the only information I had about Parker's. A lot has changed since then, I still have the gun and I shot a lot of ducks and geese with it over the years. Being a 12 it has taken a back seat to a battery of Short Ten's I use for water fowling for the last 11 years. It's sentimental value far exceeds it's monetary value so it will most likely be part of an estate sale some day as I don't see myself selling it.
Unread 04-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #50
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,403 Times in 599 Posts

This thread has had some great stories, hope I can add to it. The first Parker I'' had'' was found behind a stack of cues in a corner after a friend had shown me his good guns. Those were broom handle pistols and old Winchesters a Greener and others. I asked what is that in the corner and was told it was his sisters but she did not want it. When I dug it out it was a DHE 410 skeet and I started to research it.When I saw him again I told him it was worth more than all he had. He had given me his fathers safe and asked me to keep it for him and go ahead and use it. I had it for at least 15 years before he moved and got a safe. Bought my first the next year, 1975, at auction for 200.00 a vh which still shoot and hunt with and a few more since. Never had to sell one though.Had custody of a AAHE for a little while and it was the worst fitting gun I ever saw. I miss looking at it but not shooting it. When the owner was ready to take it back it was with mixed feelings I handed it over.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post: