Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #41
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

bill bet you was a crack shot .i too love the little 22 it would be hard for me to pick my favorite 22...at the moment i shoot a remington auto rifle model 550 and secound i shoot a marlin auto of some model...but i shoot my ruger bearcat the most it goes with me on the farm a lot...yep 22 s are special to me too... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #42
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
seen a box of 22 longs for sale lately...other than on collector ammo sites... charlie
Of course we used to shoot longs when we didn't have the extra dime to buy a box of LRs. I don't know if the ammo companies still make them. I think they shot the same bullet as the short, but delivered it a little quicker.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Zachow View Post
All in all, .22s are my favorite guns, even more than Parkers, truth be told. Winchester made the finest, in my opinion. I have a large number of their guns and have never found one that was innaccurate. All are deadly, from the little bolt actions to their semi auto model 63, and all the pumps in between. Charlie, Winchester made the model 1890 in .22 long, but they are hard to find--.22short and .22WRF are more commob--.22 Long Rifle are scarce, too. My finest for pure accuracy is a 1935 model 52 with a Unertl 12 power scope. I have shot bugs on my target butt with it--off a bench, of course. Before I got as old as I now am, I would walk my farm with a .22 almost every day.
As a gun collector I have gone through several phases. First I collected only muskets, then Civil War carbines (most stolen), a few '73's and then I hit on 22's and I must have bought a dozen. One of my faves is that little Win. model 67 single shot. You load it and have to cock the striker. Pretty bad safety; using it makes the gun less safe! But a kick to shoot and it shoots fine! The safety is - don't pull back the striker. I've got a minty 9422 and have only shot it a few times. I like the 39A best when shooting a lever .22.

Shooting rats at the dump with a .22 just may have been my favorite big game hunting of all time. Prairie dogs too. My grandson loves to shoot and is 'into' airsoft. I am looking forward to handing him a .22. Doing so allows one to kind of relive one's youth.
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #44
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Of all the late model Winchester .22s. The 9422 was the best and off the highest quality. I have two, a .22 and a.22 magnum. The .22 is NIB, and I shoot the magnum. Got them both when an Ames Discount store in Southbridge, Mass went out of business. 1975--$100 each. My only complaint with the gun is the loading tube is a little undersize for the "holding" tube. It is easy to turn and get unlocked and slip out. I have had to retrace my farm walk more than once to find the darn thing. Still a nice gun and becoming more valuable as the years since discontinuance go by. Charlie, remember when .22 long rifle shells were less than .$50 per box and you could buy shotgun shells by the each? Time goes too fast....
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #45
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,338 Times in 12,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Zachow View Post
Remember when .22 long rifle shells were less than .$50 per box and you could buy shotgun shells by the each? Time goes too fast....
I do.... am I showing my age?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #46
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,560 Posts

Shooting bats with .22 birdshot out of a 510 bolt action Remington. Now, that was fun!
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 08-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #47
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Did you ever hit one? I went through a box of .410 shells using a little single barrel shotgun at bats. I think i hit 3 in 25 shots. I am actually a fairly good shot but those bats were realy good at dodging!
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #48
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

i too remember the box of 22 s for 49 cents..bought many a box and plugged everything from a pebble toa minnow in the creek..never could strika a match togood withone but was death on birds withone... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #49
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,338 Times in 12,404 Posts

When I was fifteen I used up a whole box of 20's at bats in the early evening. never touched one of them. I decided that it was a pretty wasteful endeavor and never did it again.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #50
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
bill bet you was a crack shot .i too love the little 22 it would be hard for me to pick my favorite 22...at the moment i shoot a remington auto rifle model 550 and secound i shoot a marlin auto of some model...but i shoot my ruger bearcat the most it goes with me on the farm a lot...yep 22 s are special to me too... charlie
The day I turned 16 I bought a Ruger Bearcat. Cost was $36. It shoot where it was aimed and I learned to shoot a pistol with that little gun. I sold it and bought another that shot around corners. I hesitate to buy a new one, since they cost something like $575.

I found an NRA special Model 34 Remington at a pawn shop about 15 years ago. It had Lyman peep sights and extra fine wood. The little rifle was well used, but I love it and it is a great shooter. Has a tubular magazine, which I like. I found a regular one a few years ago and it is a grand little rifle too.

While sneaking up on 70 my bulbs are still hanging in there, so I usually avoid scoped .22's. Put a dot scope on my ancient Weatherby XXII and it's okay, but I can't warm to it.

I shot a zillion weapons of all kinds in the military, even 20mm canons from an A-4 Skyhawk, but I still get excited when I slip a magazine into a .22.