Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

They don't seem to like cold weather, if Charlie's experience and my cousin's experience last Friday morning are any guide. My cousin went out Friday and did not see anything and that is unusual for him.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

yesterday i got up at 4.00 am fixed my breakfastand then got ready togo to the woods...fixing to get into truck and it started raining and the wind was blowing pretty good...i decided to wait a while to see how the weather got..well it finally cleared up a little at 1.00 pm i jumped into the truck and off to thw woods i went...it was still cloudy but wind had died done..got my decoys set up and got in the blind at 2.00 i see a turkey at about 250 yards.. it took it about 30 minutes to come over to check the decoys out it was a big hen...as i watched the hen grazearound the decoys i suddenly heard a growling sound behind me at first i thought it mite be a coyote but it turnrned out to be a small red dog it was growling at my decoys...well i slapped my hands together and little dog got the message and run off...i figured my evening hunt was over but decided to stay with it ...after about an hour oif calling at 15 minute intervals 6 big jakes came onto the field boy was they hungary they payed not a bit of attention to the decoys or me softly calling to them so i just sat back and enjoyed the show....about an hour passed by and then another turkey came onto the field and joined the other group..then another turkey came out and he was the one i was waiting for...i called to him and he just fuzzed up nice and pretty...the turkeys were at about a 100yards i looked at the time it was 6.00... they finally picked up the pace and was coming slowly to the decoys i layed my call down and pushed the safety off that old ten ga parker...big gobbler came by at 20 yards yep the bad boy met his waterloo...the big gobbler was shot with the ph ten ga 32 inch barrels used gauge mates in 12 ga in it...turkey was shot with 3 1/2 inch winchester no 6...turkey weighed 20 1/2 lbs 10 inch beard 3/4 inch razor sharp spurs...the turkey was a 3 year old turkey in my book...i lookes at the time it was 6.25 pm when i killed the turkey..this turkey never gobbled a time only yelped a coupla times.anyway it was a good hunt...... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Good job Charlie! I was all fired up for today, but it is cold as can be outside so looks like tomorrow.
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

10 inch beard? We won''t see a bird like that in Michigan. There is a story going round that often turkeys up here have their beard frozen to a tree branch while roosting in a wet/rain/snow event, and when he flies down, leaves his beard frozen to the branch
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Congratulations Charlie. I think you know we were all rooting for you to kill that bird. Good for you. Can you shoot another one or is the limit just one per season? I envy you for being able to sit in a stand. My limit is maybe an hour and after that I need to get up and look elsewhere.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

the limit is 3 gobblers per season.... dennis i seemed to have aquired the patience to stay in a blind from my father he could set all day in a blind...still very cool here today. last night it came a hail storm at 3.00 this morning...was about 2 inches of thumb size hail on the ground...i figure them turkeys had it rough last night..i was lucky my wifes car was outside but no hail damage that ive seen yet it sounded bad on the tin roof but no damage to it either... charlie
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

forgot to say ive added the 2nd turkey for this year as of today...gotout late this morning but set my decoys up anddid a few yelps was nt long here comes a big jake....he was very wary of the decoys did not want to come in so i switched from the box call to one of those finger pushed yelpers i guess the big jake liked the call he came to about 40 yards and the old ten roared to life...that bird dropped to the ground without even a flutter..i used the ph 10 ga again with the gage mates adapters...shell used winchester surpreme 3 inch no 4 lead..distance 40 steps head shot...looks like im finally doing something rite for a change...next hunt i hoefully will be useing the silent auction 8 bore.. charlie
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

just loaded me up some shells for the old mills 8 bore..winchester hull clear one. a winchester 209 primer. 70 grains of triple 7. aguande plastic wad.with 1 3/4 ounce of no 6 copper plated lead shot...will not get to pattern them this evening its raining again here..will pattern it on jerrys target of the turkey s head at 40 steps...hope it patterns well at that distance it being cly bore.i did not slit the plastic wad so it should a good pattern...charlie
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

I hope that old 8 gets your last one. That old gun deserves it after the years of rust and neglect. I missed today due to bad weather and stuff going on around here, but tomorrow I am going no matter what.
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

mills thats the way to go hunting dont matter what the weather like just go hunting...i like to hunt when its raining and hopefully warm..those turkeys like to get in a shallow drainway and look for snails and other critters...im working on the old 8 bore as of today tighting it up a little more..i shot the shells i loaded up yesterday at 45 steps.. old gun holding up well hardly no recoil with even 70 grains of triple 7 powder...only thing wrong with my loadings is ive either got to split the wads im using and make pedals on them or use a wadding with no cup holder for the shot..i shot 3 times and not a hole in the target did i put...then i got a 50 lb empty dog food sack and shot it4 times all i had was 4 nice big holes in it...they would make good slug loads...i had trouble before useing these wads so will just cut the sides off it or switch to remington wads ... i do not see how all the shot is staying in that wad but it does...the no 6 shot is level with the top of the wad then iput a piece of tissue over the shot then use 2 real thin 10 ga over shot cards over the paper tissue then roll crimp the load...i could see how the shot was staying together thus making a slug load if the top wadsover the shot was going down in the plastik wadding but it cant because the shot ius to the top of the wad..has any of you had this problem before... mills hope you get that bird and you other boys... charlie