Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 07-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #21
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Did you get any of that big storm that we got this evening. It started hailing but no tornado that I saw.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #22
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

we got a big rain but no severe weather...today i checked the field there was several birds but not the amount i would like to see...when that power line looks like its sagging pretty good from numbers of birds on the wire i will be satisfied...maybe....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

tempertures today were pleasant in the high 80 s today..good cool brezze the birds were out there but i seen a big hawk get a bird and then there must been a hundred crows after that hawk...got the 22 out and fired several times up in the trees to run all of them off...got to get the ole 10 ga out and do some crow thinning since they are eating my seed up...charlie
Unread 07-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #24
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,125 Posts

My neighbors put in a commercial sunflower operation a couple hundred yards south of my property.
Doves are looking good!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #25
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Man I have some great stories and memories of how to setup a field from some real pros. It was a rare combination and some smart creative folks that knew game and doves and what to do to attract and hold em. We were friends with a family that owned an explosive company. They had a good bit of land that was secured and had a network of roads between trailers and metal cargo containers for storing explosives. You could only store so much of it in one place so they had plots for storage setup all over the place with fields and gravel roads connecting it all.

They used to have customer appreciation slash family/friend hunts every year. For us lucky few we used to quail hunt there as well. They figured the perfect formula was bare ground patches in the middle millet and sunflower fields. It worked incredillbly well for them plus they did lots of other tricks that were all legal but effective if you were committed to wanting to attract dove for a great hunt.

There setups and blinds are almost proprietry and have never seen anyone do it the way they did. Some it appears to be alot trouble but it isn't if you enjoyed it and had a purpose and it paid off. Biggest trick and formula they used was sunflowers and millet fields mixed together and including bare spots. They were meticulous about keeping bare spots, especially in the southeast where we lived. Water, tree lines and power lines not that big a deal in our area but bare spots for them to feed, dust and gravel was paramount, especially in the middle of the dove field, which is harder to do than you would think.

They also figured what was the recipe for an ideal dove field and they had a perfect one setup with the bare spots and how they even precisely would situate the milet round bail blinds just before season opened, which I have never seen done since but they were perfect at providing shade, concealment and catching what little breeze a dove field can offer and capitalizing on it.

BTW back before there were dove decoys and robo decoys they made dove decoy/attractors to place and move around in the dove fields at those bare spots. They had location, habitat, food source, smarts, timing and patience. It paid off every time. Unforetunately it is very hard to recreate the location and habitat that is half of it, but I think if you properly and legally manage food source, smart about what a dove needs/likes and are cognizant of timing it can work in most dove fields.

They also had tricks to manage where hunters setup that I think worked and at least it kept people from sky busing knowing there was plan in place. Let the low ones and high ones pass safely and unmolested and they will doves will stay reasonable until later in the season. The smart ones will then learn to approach at Mach 1 and then learn some aerobatics that would put a Top Gun fighter pilot to shame.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #26
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

it would be nice to have a setup like the one just mentioned but them kinda places are gone around my part of the woods...not 10 mile from my house is a huge farming property lots of grain cotton and corn fields the power lines are covered up with doves...but theres no hunting on this property allowed...small plots like i fix draw in some birds but not like when the fields around here were planted in crops...mostly now i enjoy the kids shooting at these doves we usally get enough for a good dinner..this evening i came by the fields and the power line had several on it the most i ve seen so far...charlie
Unread 07-31-2018, 03:26 PM   #27
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

got a bad start this morning could not find the keys to my sons 4x4 ford it has the fuel tank in it...after an hour hunting those keys looking in all of my dirty pants no keys. relooked the key peg were we hang the keys back to the truck for the 3 rd time..this was getting tiresome but what do you do...no keys finally called my grandson to see if he might have got them for some reason he said no keys...finally went to the tractor with cab on it looking around just grabbing at straws...i seen my big straw hat in the tractor picked it up and there was my keys..i rembered then the keys were hurting my leg while i was bushhogging and i pulled them out of my pocket and pulled off my hat and layed over them...thank goodness....got cranked up loaded my helper up dasisy the little squirl dog..shes my right hand man she never complains got more patence than i have...we got over to the tractor we checked the oil in motor ok..we checked hydralic oil just 3 gallon low out of brake fluid...got this took care of we then greased that big disc take me 30 minutes to grease this big piece of iron....finally backed fuel truck close to tractor to fill it up put clamps on battery turned pump on got on tractor out of fuel in the tank just filled it up the other day so i thought...very few doves on field at about 10.30 so i cranked the tractor dasisey loaded up and we cut about 2 more acres for the birds...went home loaed up the seed sower on the other tractor a 135 massey...put them seed out drove back to the house spied a big water melon on the porch and thats what i had for dinner just now...birs are comming in good if they dont decide to go to south america....charlie
Unread 08-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #28
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

done some more bush hogging this morning just about to finnish at my house next it s my grand paws farm...today i done my good deed..when we bought my grand paws farm it was over grown with 4 years of growth...needless to say it was thick brush and trees..i needed what is called a bush and bog disc..my friend had one a pull type disc with 24 inch blades on it wt which is my frienda real name just the letters wt....i went to his house got the disc and used it to help get the fields cleared again...the disc done a fine job after we was through with it i told wt i would carry the disc back he said i might need it some more...i never used it again...every year since i tell him i m going to bring it back he keeps saying if he needs it he knows were it s at...this morning i told my wife i was carrying the disc back twenty years that disc has set in one place time for it to go home...got it there ok but aint seen my friend to tell him his disc is home... coming home by the dove field i scareed up a lot of doves eating gravel...i felt like i should get a medal for carry that old disc home guess seeing those doves were enough....charlie
Unread 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #29
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

got a early start this morning the big tractor ford 9600 throwed a fan belt..my grandson said if i would get one he would put it on this afternoon...as i drove up to the tractor it was setting in the edge of the dove field there must have been over a 100 doves on the power lines...this is the most doves we have had in a few years....if they stay well have a fair shoot but one big weather front and there gone....we tried to put the belt on but it was to short gota go back in the morning and trade it for a little longer belt...charlie
Unread 08-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #30
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was bush hogging around my dads old orchard this evening a big cloud was coming my way lots of lighting and such but no rain at that time...i looked over at the dove field and the power line was covered up....been a while since that many doves were on that power line...things are looking goodwe also found another spot to make a dove field the boys burnt off a 30 acre field last night for them...we will shoot at my place on saturday and at the new place monday.....gona have a dinner on saturday i always enjoy the dinners....hope every body else have good dove numbers....charlie