Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Unread 05-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

They sure wouldn't be tall enough. They can strike 2/3 of their body length in height.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #12
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Also, with that much mass I would think a snake that big could almost break a leg, certainly knock someone down. And the amount of venom....
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #13
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post

Tastes just like chicken....

who is the comedian that said

"the next time someone says doesn't that taste like chicken, it damn well better be chicken"
Unread 05-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #14
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gardner View Post
A snake that big has to have quite a bite. Would snake boots be enough to protect from a bite and would they be tall enough?
I believe good snake boots would turn the bite, and unless the snake was on top of a mound or bush or something then tall enough. I have seen many dogs cattle and people and horses snake bit, and very rarely see a bite above about 10 - 12” above the ground. I have been hit hard twice, both snakes, a western diamonback and a Botswanan puff adder hit ankle high. Tha rattler, a healthy 5 footer felt like being hit by a wild pitch (maybe a change-up), the puff adder more like a fastball. I did not see or hear either snake before they struck. Interstingly, the rattlesnake hit me on a whitewing dove shoot in Mexico, on a 100 degree day. I was wearing shorts, and a pair of cabelas 8” lace up hunting boots, not snake proof, but they successfully turned a direct strike.

Was wearing a pair of all leather gokey snake boots in Africa.

Needed a change of shorts both times.
Unread 05-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #15
Daniel G Rainey
Forum Associate

Member Info

The taste of rattlesnake depends on how it was cooked and how much you have had to drink.
Daniel G Rainey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel G Rainey For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #16
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

OMG guys. So much venom about that poor rattlesnake. In my early years, I hunted them for a sepentarium. I found them exciting and they certainly have their place in the environment. The serpenmtarium kept the snakes alive and milked them every two weeks or so for the venom which was used to create antivenin to treat rattlesnake bites.

I caught and sold many and never came across one that was aggressive unless it was cornered and felt it needed to protect itself. About half the snakes never rattled until you tried to pin them to pick them up and put them in the burlap bag I carried. I only killed one and that was because a bar owner wanted a skin to hang over the bar. I felt bad after I killed it. I did eat it and it was a bit tough and looked and tasted a lot like calamari to me. Good but not a lot of flavor. It didn’t taste like chicken Dean. It tasted like rattlesnake!

I came to admire those snakes and had a healthy respect for what they could do if you let your guard down or became careless. We used to let them loose in my back yard and play with them before taking them to the sepentarium. My buddy was handling a copperhead and got a bit careless. It sank a fang into his index finger. He spent a couple of days in the hospital and his hand swelled and turned blue.

I can understand killing a rattlesnake in one’s yard. But I would have caught it and taken it to a remote area and turned it loose. But someone not well versed in how to catch and properly hold these snake should never try that. The timber rattler is a diminishing species and should never be killed unless there is a real need to. One in a yard needs to be addressed but I would have preferred that someone from DNR had come and removed the snake to be placed elsewhere. I have a soft spot for timber rattlers.

This is me in my younger days with a pretty timber rattler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rattlesnake.jpg (89.8 KB, 5 views)
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;244127]They sure wouldn't be tall enough. They can strike 2/3 of their body length in height.

I have never been struck but I believe a strike from the ground would rarely be over about a foot above the foot. I used to wear leggings made out of screen but then stopped using them. The biggest risk for me was in climbing rocky outcroppings. You couldn't always see where you put your hands and that involved a degree of risk since the rattlers liked to sun on the ledges, if the weather was right. But it made hunting them more exciting.

The fangs won't penetrate leather boots. They are hollow and not really that strong. They can break easily. A new fang is grown if one is damaged.

I once took a guy with me that wanted to see how I caught the snakes. He got out of the car and strapped on a handgun. I told him that I don't kill snakes so there is no need for a gun. He replied that it wasn't for the snakes but for him if he got hit in the chest or face. He didn't want to suffer. I made him keep the gun in the car and told him that if he got hit, I was not dragging his body out. He can walk out and then shoot himself at the car. I was a bit obnoxious back in the day.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

One in a yard needs to be addressed but I would have preferred that someone from DNR had come and removed the snake to be placed elsewhere. I have a soft spot for timber rattlers.

Here are a few that I have had to “address” over just the last 3 years, within 50’ of the house. The first one shown was on the doormat of my attached garage. One snakebit dog, and a bride that is less than thrilled, have led to a directed effort to thin our locl population!!
Unread 05-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #19
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yeah thats a Fox gun in the last pic.......I’ll try to do better next time...
Unread 05-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #20
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Timber rattlesnake populations are way down. It's pretty rare when one shows up in a yard. In fact most people in my town of Pawling, NY don't even realize they are in the area. They are in selected higher elevation pockets of rocky outcropping and ledges and are not found where normal people go.

You Texas boys have different species of rattlesnakes that are abundant. You might have a Timber rattler or two but I imagine they are very rare down there. It's a different story in Texas and a lot of the west. They can show up anywhere and I wouldn't shed a tear over one being killed near a house. But I must admit I do cringe at the thought of rattlesnake roundups.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: