Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #31
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

That's a really nice piece of American Black Walnut Mills!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #32
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Thanks and I agree. Am very pleased with this purchase
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #33
bob weeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Remington 1894 12 with 26 inch barrels and 6 lbs. 4 oz. I shoot a lot of 20's in it using Briley short tubes. They add little weight and it still has great balance and feel. It patterns well but a little more open than 12 gauge. Choked modified and full so the more open pattern works well in the early season. I do switch guns quite often and have shot both heavy and light, doubles, pumps, semi autos. The ones I shoot well changes from time to time. Still trying to figure out why one goes sour and another that I was not shooting well works again. It is fun though taking different ones into the field. I probably should have stuck with that old Charles Daly over under skeet gun which was my first shotgun and be a better shot....but I also would have missed out on a lot of other fun....
bob weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob weeman For Your Post:
Unread 07-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #34
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Like many here I’ve owned a veritable truck load of shotguns over the years . And featherweights were part of the equation ! I had a nice old Darne 20 gauge with 25” barrels a number of years ago , I shot it very well after grouse and quail but a round on the skeet field would beat the tar out of you the gun weighed 5 1/2 pounds . Had a Winchester 59 that I chopped the barrel to 22” got rid of the PG and made a straight grip and finally slimmed the forend way down , this was my attempt at a Frank Woolner grouse gun and again I shot it pretty well on birds unloaded I think it was about 5 1/2-5 3/4 . But for me atleast that 59 had no soul so I never really was wound up about it . Later I got an Browning Citori 16 gauge Upland Special 24” I think it was right at 6 pounds , I shot that gun really well at birds both feathered and clay both with mounted gun and low gun . I had however put a decelerator pad on the gun . Also recently had a first year Sterlingworth 20 gauge 26” that was an ounce or so under six pounds and shot it well at dove and clay targets if I paid attention . From years of shootingbtubed over and infers IE 9-10 pound guns I do very well on clay targets with heavy guns . At the moment my favs have to be a VHE 20 28” not sure the weight as well as a GH 0 frame 16 that’s 26” and of course my EH 28” 10 on a 2 frame and almost forgot I not to long ago picked up a Grade 2 top lever 1 frame 12 gauge with 30” barrels . But truth be known since I don’t really bird hunt that much other then occasional dove and game farm pheasants . Yeah as to weight I’d say as long as it’s more then 5 pounds and less then 12 pounds I can deal with it .
Unread 07-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #35
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Had a Winchester 59 that I chopped the barrel to 22” got rid of the PG and made a straight grip and finally slimmed the forend way down , this was my attempt at a Frank Woolner grouse gun and again I shot it pretty well on birds unloaded I think it was about 5 1/2-5 3/4 . But for me atleast that 59 had no soul so I never really was wound up about it.
Interesting .... I have never heard of anyone trying that. Thanks for the reminder -- caused me to reread his chapter on grouse guns in "Grouse and Grouse Hunting."

His grouse gun for those who may not own the book:

Winchester Win-Lite Model 59, 3 shot 12 gauge autoloader lightened by a gunsmith to weigh 5lbs 11oz. Barrel cut to 23" and left cylinder bore. Pistol grip "planed off." His preferred load was 1 oz of 8s or 9s in the early season and 7 1/2s later.

Which brings up another topic -- he mentions that he didn't shoot SxSs well and preferred a single sighting plane. Anyone else feel the same? I know that I shoot better scores with my O/Us than I do with my SxSs -- not a lot better but somewhat better. On one SxS (newly manufactured) I experimented with a large white bead and small center bead -- seemed to help. I think a raised rib would help but don't like to looks of them on a SxS.

As far as weight goes I shoot my 6lb 3oz Silver Pigeon I better than any other shotgun I own but I still prefer a light (6 - 6 1/2lb) 28 gauge SxS with 2 triggers (IC and Mod) for upland hunting. Straight or pistol grip, it doesn't matter but I like the lines of a straight stock with splinter forend. 28" barrels are fine, and I'd take 26" tubes before going to 30". If I had my choice I'd go with non-ejector over ejectors but that's not high on the priority list--good triggers are. They need to be crisp and both of equal pull weight (3.5 - 4 lbs)

Craig mentioned "soul" as an important attribute -- I agree even though it's hard to define -- looks, feel, balance, memories, wear marks, and nice wood is important.

Sorry Mr Woolner but I never met an autoloader with soul! I like being able to open the action quickly and silently when crossing a stonewall or when walking up to another hunter.
Ronald Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronald Scott For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #36
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

I prefer 28" barrels on all gauges. Weights: 20's right around 6 lbs., 16's at about 6-1/2lbs, 12's at 7 lbs. or a bit more - light enough to carry but with enough weight to feel the swing and take a bit of recoil off my shoulder.

The guns I shoot most often (all 16's/28") are a Fox A Grade at 6-4, a Fox Sterlingworth at 6-8 and a Parker Trojan at 6-9. I have some 20's and 12's but frankly I rarely shoot them.

Weight has never been my first question about a gun; it's all about the feel. I do get a kick out of guys that are 20+lbs. overweight obsessing about a couple ounces on a shotgun .
Unread 07-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #37
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

I'm still intrigued by the accounts I read here about how folks shoot. It's why the gun weight, drop, cast, length of pull, stock configuration, etc. are characteristics of an individual's most sought after features. There are most certainly many methods to shooting, and I think there lies the crux of the distinct differences among us as to what features, including weight, we most desire.

I can honestly say that when I hit, as I like to say, "on purpose" (meaning I know it was not a lucky shot), I have never remembered seeing the bead, whether it's brass, ivory, or missing entirely. I obviously shoot instinctively on most of my shots. It's when I start thinking and calculating, that I miss. I believe in the natural pointing method, which means that where I look, I point, and if the guns fits, I hit. When I am shooting doves or ducks is when I have too much time to consider things and start seeing the barrels. I can see if a person mostly shot this way, a single sighting plane might be an advantage. I think I'd go nuts if I shot clays.

There are so many variables. Suffice it to say, I imagine each of us who shoots a great deal has his or her own method. This would included desired weight as well as all of the other nuances of gun fit. It's what makes all of these discussions so interesting...and at times, mystifying.

This has been an enjoyable thread!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #38
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Just picked up a GH 20 today so now I have g grades in every major gauge from 8 to 28. Nice small Damascus gun
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 07-10-2019, 12:19 AM   #39
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Just picked up a GH 20 today so now I have g grades in every major gauge from 8 to 28. Nice small Damascus gun
So a GH 410 should be right on the horizon
Unread 07-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #40
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
So a GH 410 should be right on the horizon
I wish . . . To be honest though, I would rather have another 28 gauge