Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Chokes
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
brian randolph
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Chokes

Dale Tate here in CA stripped and cleaned my VH, measured the chokes. Right is 27 thou. and left is 32 thou. A little tight for quail. Recommendations for choke and CA smith for the work?
brian randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,447 Times in 12,438 Posts

Recommend you use spreader loads rather than altering original chokes. If you load your own that should be really easy - if you don't there are a couple of manufacturers who do.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

I view your situation as the perfect excuse to get another Parker. With open chokes!
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Sounds like you have a nice duck gun.

I just arranged the sale of a nice VH 20 ga with .004 and .008 chokes.....a good quail and dove gun.

You didn't say what gauge or weight your gun is, but if it is configured as an upland game gun, I think a good choke combination is full and IC and I would consider opening the first barrel under those circumstances. That was a very common Parker choke combination for upland guns.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
brian randolph
Forum Associate

Member Info

Plain VH in 12 GA. No case color remaining, but not abused. 1 1/2 frame, wt about 8 lbs. I'm shooting 1 oz. 7 1/2 @ 1200-1250 fps. With the existing chokes the pattern board thinks I'm shooting a rifle. Thank you all for applying your experience to my question.
brian randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Don't know of any Ca gunsmiths so no help there. If it were mine I'd open it up to what ever you wanted. Close shooting - skeet or IC. Be on that, Mod to Full.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,490 Posts

Please don't mess the original chokes. Chokes that have been reamed out are a deal breaker if you ever want to sell the gun especially if they are 30" or longer. Parker chokes are wonderful and once removed cannot be replaced. You did'nt say what you plan to shoot with this gun. Please look into either loading or buying spreader loads or enjoy shooting tight chokes.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Daryl, I respectfully disagree. Who knows what the chokes were ? It's also a VH, not a C,B, or A grade gun. People refinish stocks, restock em, redo the barrels, re-cut the checkering, so what's wrong with taking .005 or .010 out of the chokes ? I don't believe for a moment it's a deal breaker on a VH - at least it hasn't ever been for me. Now if there's no chokes left in the gun then I may try to get it for a cheaper price. I once bought a F grade Remington 1894 with no choke in the right barrel. Beat down the dealer and then took it home and " jug choked " it back to LM. I now have a nice shooting trap gun with LM and full. In my opinion, it's my gun and I'll do what I want with it like anyone else does. If it's a high end collectable gun then it would be a different story.
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a C grade 1894 Remington that would be like a C grade Parker. Summer thinks only about 200 were made, and the choke numbers are stamped on the barrel lugs - Full and Full. Because I'll never need Full chokes I took them out to skeet in and skeet out [ SK/LM ]. I think those are the perfect chokes for anything I'll ever hunt or shoot at for clays. It's my gun and I'd never enjoy shooting it with Full and Full. I called the fellow I bought it from about a year after I got it to tell him I won our Skeet Doubles league with it. He said he never could hit anything with it and that's why he sold it. That VH is a hunting gun and back in the day with paper wads tighter chokes were needed, especially if you were duck or goose hunting. If the originally owner was going to hunt birds in close a more open choke gun would have been ordered . If the present owner is going to then why not open them up like the original owner would have ordered ?
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
paul stafford jr
Forum Associate

Member Info

im with you paul most of these over choked guns aint worth a darn on the vintage skeet I shoot its a lot more fun to shoot them than it is to leave them in the back of the safe because there to tight and it doesn't bother me to open the chokes on higher grade guns, they look just as good and they shoot great. besides its my money and I love shooting old guns that look good.
paul stafford jr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paul stafford jr For Your Post: