Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

who can explain this
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default who can explain this

today ithought of something that i had read about years ago.do not recall fellas name that said this but i do recall what he said.he said that the perfect shotgun load would be a 6 ga. gun shooting a 1 ounce load. well i do not have a 6 ga gun but i do have a 8 ga.so i thoght i try his load. i used awinchester hull 209primer winchester brand. 30 grains of blue dot powder. 1 ounce lead no.7 1 /2 shot. wad used was gelespi italian name brand. with 1 /8 inch card over shot. some times used 1 /2 inch filler wad over shot.no glue or any thing over shot wads. no misfires occurred during test. no of shots fired were 36.the range was 40 yards at 30 inch circle. the first 10 loads fired was unbeliveable. every shot wasin at least a 1 i/2 inch circle.i know every body will laugh. i try to figure this out i thought maybe the shot card was going up into the plastic waddingonly problem the gellispi wad only holds 7 /8 ounce shot. i even steped up the shot loads to 1 18 ounce. then 1 14 then 1 1/2 then 1 5/8ounces.all the loads were loaded to same way except for the differant amounts of lead.all the loads still shot as thou they were slug loads. on the 1 5/8 ounce load 1 out of 4 loads scattered some rest of loads in the same hole. the only way i could make a load scatter was to cut the part off the plastic wadding.that held the shot. keep in mind that wadding will onlw hold 7/8 ounce shot.what is making these loads stay packed together and not spread out has got me puzzled. i shot till dark trying differant loads and still shooting like a slug load0.maybe that fella was right a 1 ounce load and a 6 ga. is the perfect load. his probably wouldnot scatter either. what do yall think is making this load shoot like a slug. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Charlie,

Try at 25 & 60 yards and see what it looks like. I hate to be a Doubting Thomas, but I wonder if your wad is the only thing reaching the pattern board and that a 1/2" overshot card is blowing the pattern. I have a 1948 edition of Hunters Encyclopedia that makes the case for Remingtons new crimp shells not blowing a pattern like an over shot card will. You might try seperating the 1/8" card and just using half of it as an overshot card. This is interesting stuff. I would love to have an 8 gauge to play with. Unfortunatly they are illegal to hunt anythig wth in Kentucky.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Over shot cards are always THIN - .027. The .125 cards are for over powder and the other thicker wads are for filling the case to get a good crimp. I've found that too many cushion wads or too thick an over shot card will blow patterns. Try cutting the hull to about 2" to limit the amount of wads needed. Also, it would be easier to read your post if you used capital letters at the begining of each sentence.
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have been trying the 8 ga loads again today. I loaded upseveral rounds.sameloads used as before. WINCHESTER hull 30 grains bluedot powder.1 geliispi wad 1 ounce lead . I cut the 1 /8 inch wad in half. REULTS was same as yesterday only one big hole . THe load is still shooting like a slug load. I shot from distances of 20 40 60 yards still shooting like a slug. I changed the load of lead to differant weights witg no effect. I then changed to a remington wad a SP8. THIS WAD holds2 1/4 ounces of lead. I used 1/8 inch wad split in half for over shot wad. I shot this load 8 times at differant yardage. DISTANCES were 15 20 40 and 60 yards.yall are gonna laugh but there was only 8 big holes in that target likeslug loads. i have come to this conclusion that the small shot iam using is the trouble. I shot loads from 1 ounce to 2 1/4 all with the same results.this has really got me pulzled. THE shot used was 7 1/2 with some 8 and 9 mixed with it . THE shot was given to me mixed up this way. DOES any one else out there think that maybe 8 ga. dont do well with small shot. I have shot lots of no 2. no 4. buckshot and bb loads in this gun with good results. WHAT is the problem any body got any ideas. AND I DONT DRINK OR SMOKE WEED. HA... ANY HELP APPRECIATED ON THIS PROBLEM. THANKS CHARLIE
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

I forgot to mention in my shooting the 8 ga today that Iset up a 5 gallon plastic bucket filled with water. I shot the bucket at 40 yards it put one hole in front and blew the back side out of it.I do not think a wad would do this. i shot the bucket several more times withboth sides penatrated good. I shot this 8 ga a total of 46 times this evening with all loads shooting like slugs. charlie
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Charlie, I tested a RST 10 gauge load of 1 1/4 of 7 1/2's at 40 yards in a .038 choked NH and stuck the wad in the target. This may sound stupid but could it be the wad? Have you recovered any of the fired wads for examination? Just throwing some questions out there.
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,228 Times in 12,374 Posts

Charlie, you should keep it as your deer gun.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have not recovered any of the wads im shooting into a round bale of hay for a backstop.t WADS ARE DRIVING SO DEEP IVE NOTrecovered one yet.the bucket i shot was full of waterand the wad or load blew the backside of bucket out. ive loaded lots of bigger shot withthese same wads and never run into any thing like this before. this surely would make a good deer load. ACCURACY GOOD EVEN AT 60 YARDS.I TRULY BELIEVE ITS THE SMALL SHOT STAYING WADDED TOGETHER. I will load some no 4 shot in acouple days see what happens. i know this is kind of hard to believe but these shot are not spreading out . Any body ever try 8 shot in there ten ga. charlie
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Charlie,

An odd thing that occures with shot size and choke. If you shoot buckshot through a cylinder bore it will not open up and will pattern like a slug, but if you shoot small shot like #8 through a cylinder bore it will throw an open pattern. Now take the same loads and run them through a full choke and buckshot will be an open pattern and small shot will shoot much tighter. I think you have solved your problem and if you shoot much larger shot you will have a more open pattern.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post:
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,862 Times in 4,751 Posts

I'm going to hit the PRINT button just in case this thread somehow gets deleted. I'm not taking any chances. I think I still have an eight gauge around here somewhere and a few shells loaded. I may dig a goose carcass out of the freezer and go out to the club to do some patterning later today. I'm thinking about 95 yards should be about right.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote