Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Paper, Memorabilia and Books

Notices

"That's Ruff" a new grouse hunting book
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

Default "That's Ruff" a new grouse hunting book

A couple of issues ago in "Parker Pages" Art Wheaton introduced us to a book by George King of Pennsylvania entitled "That's Ruff" and I sent for one of the limited editions, numbered of a run of 100 and signed by the author. I received my copy in just a couple of weeks and the first chance I got I sat down and started reading it.
George King is the inspiration behind the "Ancient and Honorable Order of Brush Worn Partridge Hunters" which was an organization of about 3,000 strong of hunters of the Ruffed Grouse from every part of the US and Canada where grouse in huntable numbers could be found. George printed a newsletter "Grouse Cover" and mailed it to each member between the years of 1969 through 1972.
"That's Ruff" is a hardcover of 272 pages, illustrated, and is filled with some of the best grouse hunting stories, Art says "some serious, some whimsical, all "pure grouse!" George lets us read some letters in a chapter titled "Letters From Legends" between himself and "Tap" Tapply, Frank Woolner and Burt Spiller. Between the stories and chapters are what George calls "Feathers in the Wind" which are short anecdotes - thoughts, poems and observations.
I believe "That's Ruff" is destined in time to become a classic among grouse hunting literature - certainly equal to so many of the honored and venerable titles like "Grouse Feathers" and "More Grouse Feathers", "New England Grouse Shooting", "Fun With Game Birds", "Partridge Shortenin'" and "Grouse and Grouse Hunting".
George finishes the book with two chapters that describe, probably better than any other attempt I have ever read, the lore, mystique and culture of grouse hunting and the grouse hunter and I think you will agree.

The Book is $22.95 plus $4.95 shipping and handling, from Concord House Publishing, Box 283, Claridge, PA 15623. A Limited Edition (which is getting very close to being sold out) of 100 copies, with a "Brush Worn" frontispiece is available, signed and numbered by the author at $39.95 plus $4.95 s&h, from George King, 5015 Bushy Run Road, Jeannette, PA 15644. Of course PA residents must pay the 6% sales tax.

You will cherish this book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0033.JPG (257.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0034.JPG (279.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0036.JPG (246.6 KB, 14 views)
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Dean is spot on with his description of this great book! I ordered my limited edition copy back in August and received it about the same time Dean did. I read it and it's taken a place on my book shelf right next to Spiller.

You fellow grouse hunters do not want to miss out on this great read!
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,095 Posts

I just wanted to say ,Thank you Dean for bringing this to my attention ! I must have missed the article in PP's. I spoke with Mr. King this morning and ordered my " Limited Edition " ,also ,This is sort of similar to Grouse hunting in itself ,you never know when some one will point you to a ,LOCAL HOT SPOT ! Mr. King lives less than an hours drive from me and I had never heard of him or of his book ! Thanks again ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Larry Barnhart
Forum Associate

Member Info

could you provide a phone number to order a copy of Thats Ruff please ?
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Sorry, I should have listed it. This is George's number... 724-523-8931
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

This is indeed a fine read. I sat down Christmas day and read it straight through, just could not put it down! Afterwards I wrote George a letter thanking him for the book, and tellng him what I thought of it. A few days later there was a message on my answering machine asking me to give him a call. Later that evening I called and had a delightfull half hour gab with George. He struck me as a fine gentleman and a Grouse hunter through and through! I think I embarrased him when I said his book was on my bookshelf along with Spiller,Evans, Tapply and Woolner.

Like I told George, Sounds silly but "Old Leather boots" made my eyes weepy. "The Ballad of Poke Mountain Pete" was a great tale and we all have a friend like "Joe" who we miss dearly. You won't go wrong adding this one to your shelf!!

Russ, I am envious of you for living so close to George. I would love to sit down and spend an afternoon with this gentleman, the stories he could tell of hunting with Spiller,Woolner and Tapply!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg book.JPG (447.3 KB, 10 views)
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robert Rambler For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

I see you keep the tail feathers of Bonasa Umbellis on the bookshelf too. They make great bookmarks don't they?
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Yes they do Dean !
Forgot to mention that George is a pretty good artist as well, the drawings and artwork that decorate the book are from his own hand!
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Rambler For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Mike McKinney
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I called a little while ago and ordered my copy from Mr. King. What a nice man!! He has really enjoyed his study of Mr./Ms. Grouse. He said he had had three calls as a result of the forum. I told him that was thanks to Dean and the other reviews.
Mr. King said he had also signed up as a forum member, let's look out for him.
Mike McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKinney For Your Post:
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

He's here, his name is showing on the Members List.