Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #21
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

Snowed 6 inch's and 25 degrees here in S.E. Mass. right now. Bless 2020 and kiss the woodcock good bye for this year.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2020, 08:47 PM   #22
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

I am still up in northern minn and not doing well . We see a few birds per day and hear several more but in four days we have bagged one grouse. We did have 14 flushes in one day but the birds are very skittish.

The snow and wind have been difficult. Lots of snow , ice, swamp and downed timber. I look forward to the plains. There are times when I feel that ruffed grouse hunting is better to read about than do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E5318D12-CBA0-4B2D-8007-E8D1035CE4FA.jpg (534.2 KB, 3 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 11-01-2020, 02:59 AM   #23
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Crazy weather! I'm about 120 miles north of the Manitoba/Minnesota border and 40 miles from the Manitoba/Ontario border. The morning of the 31st the wind was blowing hard from the south and the temperature was 39F. By 2 pm it swung around 180 degrees coming from the north west at 25F, snow, wind gusts up to 50mph, with occasional white out conditions. I hope you're not in it's path.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 11-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #24
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Nice Bob! Makes sense considering the track of the Jet Stream lately. You're getting air flow that originated up here in Alaska and the Yukon/BC! This is the kind of weather pattern - wild fluctuations of the jet stream and especially ocean currents - that lead to the Little Ice Age from 1300-1850. I personally think that we're slowly headed into another L.I.Age. Forget what the media tells you; the planet has been in a cooling phase for the past 10,000 yrs.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 11-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #25
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Well, I can say we've had almost every type of weather since we've been here...except good(!). We did have a thawing couple of days, one with sun in the afternoon. We hunted a sharp ridge between a lake and a swamp. The top of the ridge was very narrow in spots, maybe 20 yards, and the drop off on both sides was well over a hundred feet. It was very much like the hunting I remembered from SE Ohio back when the State had birds. On this day we found some, but better than finding them, Aspen pointed them, and he hunted well after so many barren miles earlier in the week.

Yesterday the wind blew so hard in the later afternoon that we came out of the woods for fear of trees falling. I've had this happen once before, and it's not safe to hunt. We'll try to hunt a short while today and pack the truck for our return home tomorrow. As poor and challenging as the hunting has been, I wouldn't trade these days, and I'm already scheming for when to come next year and which guns to bring. The DNR believes the Peak of the Cycle was two or three years ago. I'll be close to 75 at the next one, and I'm hoping to be in the woods with Elaine and some Gordon Setters.

I've enjoyed the replies to this thread. Richard is a better meteorologist than any I've encountered lately. The encouragement from those who know the sting of few birds was meaningful. It was comforting to read that Bruce was finding the same conditions, and that it was not just my poor hunting skills that was the reason for so few flushes. We did have several days with 10-15 flushes, but when you can't see them, you can't shoot them. Oh, well, that's grouse hunting. Our flush rate up to today was about 1.8/hr. It will be interesting to go back and compare that to other years. It's a nice thing about getting old (and there are not many) that you have the years to supply perspective.

Thanks again for the responses. I've got to get Elaine's coffee made so we can hit the woods this morning. Good hunting to all of you!

Photos:
1. You can come up with a lot of stories why the pumpkins were here about three miles back in the woods. The stories get better when it's Halloween.
2. A nice weather day makes you linger, even when the birds don't cooperate.
3. This spine ridge was like being in my old haunts from SE Ohio back in the 1980s and 90s. Unfortunately, the flushes I had chances at were among my toughest shots -- from below me and going down. I saluted a couple with my new CHE 20. Too bad I couldn't blood it on this trip.
4. Two tired friends that have staked out their place in the Cabin. One of the best parts of hunting here is that the dogs can come in and be with us at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4102 2.jpg (508.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4111.jpg (509.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4107.jpg (511.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4116.jpg (505.0 KB, 3 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #26
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,386 Times in 594 Posts

Garry thank you for your comment's and photos. We need times like this to truly appreciate those days when everything falls in place. Grouse hunting is made what it is by the maddening unpredictability of them.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #27
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
Garry thank you for your comment's and photos. We need times like this to truly appreciate those days when everything falls in place. Grouse hunting is made what it is by the maddening unpredictability of them.
Daniel, I forgot to mention that earlier in our hunt we flushed woodcock out of about 6 inches of snow and after the weather had been below freezing for several days. Tough, resilient birds. Too bad they can't overcome the human disturbances to their lives.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #28
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Wow. Look at where the jet stream is today! A very wild fluctuation. Giving Minnesota and Wisconsin a hammering from the NNW then turning at the Ohio border to head NNE across Michigan and the NE; You can see here why Bob reported the rapid change of wind as this system moved east across his location. Note that the upper level winds are in the 150mph range. I'd guess that the woodcock might be hauling axx south at this point. This system sucking air from us here has us at 1degF as nice fresh colder air flows our way from the north.

https://www.wunderground.com/maps/wind/jet-stream
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 11-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #29
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Garry is that a straight stock CHE?