Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Gordon Setters
Unread 09-09-2020, 11:55 PM   #1
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Gordon Setters

My first dog was a Gordon setter, and I have a soft spot in my heart for the breed, although I am a confirmed Labrador/English pointer guy.

Is there much of a gene pool for intense, bird finding Gordons these days?
Steven Groh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Groh For Your Post:
Unread 09-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #2
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Steve Faust owns and operates Stoneybrook Kennel out of North Carolina. Steve is a professional bird hunting guide specializing in grouse and woodcock. He operates a small Gordon kennel and produces a litter every few years. I currently have a two year old from him that I use primarily on woodcock here in Virginia. She is a granddaughter of DC Stetson.

His wait list is long, and when he does have a litter the pups are spoken for before they ever hit the ground. He currently owns an import from Slovakia that is the most stunning Gordon I have ever seen. Big, but gentle and he moves through the woods like a ghost.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post:
Unread 09-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #3
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Here are a couple of images of mine as a pup, another last weekend with one of my granddaughters, and an image of her dam, Sasha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HannahPup.jpg (18.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Hannah2019.jpg (15.9 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg HannahHallie2020.jpg (19.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Sasha.jpg (248.3 KB, 4 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post:
Unread 09-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Google "Field Gordon Setter Breeders" and you'll find some good options. If you check the breeding of American bred Gordons, you'll find Springset in their background (much) more often than not. We've had and hunted over Gordons for nearly 40 years. We've had good luck with the breeders we've researched thoroughly and checked out their sires and dams. You can see something of our Gordons if you search my posts here. Also, Kenny Graft and Ken Hill have Gordons and might offer their advice.

Gordons are unique, and not for everyone. In our experience they generally have better than average noses, adjust their range to the cover, are very "one person/family" oriented, and really like to understand why they are being asked to do the things we ask of them (they are good reasoners).
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 09-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Garry's summary is very accurate. I would add that mine is very affectionate and vocal. She has no problem climbing into my lap for attention. She also howls like a coonhound when it's chow time, or senses that she is going on a training or hunting activity.

This fall will be her first real hunting season. Last year as a pup I kept the trips short. She got some points, but also bumped some birds. I saw her as the proverbial First Round Draft Pick. Lots of talent and potential, but not ready to start.

Now that I'm retired I hope to hunt with her in Maine and Upstate New York for grouse and woodcock, provided the COVID restrictions don't prevent that, and then home here in Virginia for woodcock.
Unread 09-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Houde View Post
Garry's summary is very accurate. I would add that mine is very affectionate and vocal. She has no problem climbing into my lap for attention. She also howls like a coonhound when it's chow time, or senses that she is going on a training or hunting activity.

This fall will be her first real hunting season. Last year as a pup I kept the trips short. She got some points, but also bumped some birds. I saw her as the proverbial First Round Draft Pick. Lots of talent and potential, but not ready to start.

Now that I'm retired I hope to hunt with her in Maine and Upstate New York for grouse and woodcock, provided the COVID restrictions don't prevent that, and then home here in Virginia for woodcock.
Alfred, It's exciting to have a "new" bird dog. It sounds like you'll have fun with your girl this coming season. I hope you'll post pictures from the upcoming season.

Just curious where you are in the Old Dominion. I grew up in York County among the Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg communities. I also lived in Mechanicsville and Richmond (while at college). I just read the latest Virginia Wildlife magazine and was encouraged with the piece about quail hunting. I hope you find woodcock in good numbers in your home coverts.

Remember...pictures of your Gordon when the time comes(!)
Unread 09-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm in Stafford County for now. Yes, we are seeing some quail. Most of us keep pretty tight-lipped about it, lol.

If the number of doves are any indication, it should be a good year for bird hunting. I don't hunt doves, but I did use the opportunity of the one's in my yard to work with her on steadiness.

I'll get some images up as we go along.
Unread 09-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'm from Virginia Beach. Parkers were revered by the hunters I grew up with - that is until steel shot came along
Steven Groh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Groh For Your Post:
Unread 09-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
BS
PGCA Member

Member Info

I got mine from Kournate Kennels in Wisconsin. Cooper has since passed and was a great bird dog and family companion. I miss that dog.
-Brett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2539.jpg (525.2 KB, 0 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brett Souder For Your Post:
Unread 09-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Houde View Post

Alfred, Elaine and I were thinking back on our Gordons and, because of your nice post, which of our Gordons were real "talkers." We've had our share, one in particular that Elaine thinks she could have taught to say some rudimentary words if she'd worked at it more. Alder, one of our current Gordons, is a real talker also, and let's me know when she wants something. It's a pleasure when they talk to you, isn't it?!

I don't envy you trying to find places to hunt near you in Northern VA. But, I do hope you find woodcock as they head south. I can still remember as a kid flushing woodcock on my way to my bow stand in York County, VA. One of the members of the (poor man's) hunt club that my father belonged to had a setter and would hunt them every now and then. I was enthralled then...and still am.