Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 12-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #41
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

I really wish i could just do it now, but i just dont have that money going into collage. Maybe if i sold some things, but even than i might bring 2,000 with all i could think of. Cant sell my truck haha. Trust me i would pull the trigger right away on restoring it, maybe ill find a way.
Stephen Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #42
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Stephen,

Having to wait a few years before restoring your family treasure may well be good fortune. We all have our favorite gunsmiths who we would recommend to restore your historical piece of art. Take your time learning about Parker guns. Get to know the members of the PGCA and they will share information with you. Attend a big SxS shoot or two per year. I go to Hausman's Hidden Hollow in northeast Pennsylvania where there is a large band of Parker guys and gals that readily accept new guys like me. The Southern SxS in North Carolina is a bigger event held in April and would closer to you than Hidden Hollow. Anyway, having face to face conversations with Parker collectors where they can examine your gun will be a great investment in time and money. Plus, if you do not have a great time at these shoots you are not human!

Ask the more experienced collectors of who could restore your Pigeon Gun accurately. For certain your gun needs to be restored accurately to how it looked when it was sold. Also inquire about the cost of such restoration and the time required. A year for this gun would not be unreasonable. Most good gunsmiths are backed up 6 months to years for their restorations. I do however think that most would fit an AAH Pigeon Gun into their schedule because your gun is so rare. As for cost, once again ask the PCGA members. An inaccurate or mediocre restoration would be a waste of money because anyone that could afford a restored Pigeon Gun would want it to be accurately restored so that their peers would marvel at how the gun would look like it had just left the factory at Meridian. Remember the for restoration to consider the factors of Skill, Accuracy, Time, Cost, and to a lesser degree, Market Reputation.

So, take your time. Do not let any gunsmith touch your gun, even for a simple repair, unless the "Parker Guys" approve of their work. Do no damage. By the time you have saved enough to pay for a restoration you should have gained enough knowledge and have a few Parker mentors to guide you toward making the correct decision.

Respectfully,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #43
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

Any of us on here would attest to the fact that there is nothing wrong with leaving something be as is for a while. Even thought it may itch at us. The hard part is over for you, and that is just having possesion of it.

And believe me, to expand on Mark's comment above, a correct restoration will show it's benefits if the gun were ever sold. You would be surprised how easy it will be to get top dollar for it.
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #44
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Brian,

Thanks! As for fine collectables like Parkers, many of us may someday have to thin our heards. At ninety years old I''ll probably be down to a but a few of my favorites. If at that time I needed $XXXXX to pay for my or a family member's medical bills, my most prised Parkers might have to be sold. That is when a perfect restoration will afford me not only the restoration cost but also the appropriate time value of money.

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #45
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

The collective advice you get here is invaluable. It's why I joined PGCA and you should too. There is no other place you could go to get better advice. All of these fellas are extremely helpful. And it's free, except for the $40 it cost to join.
I'm fairly new having only been a member for a couple of years so I dont have the experience others have so the advice I can give you is limited. The best advice you have rec'd here is go slow and only do a correct factory new restoration. The bad news is it's going to cost a lot more then you think but you'll get your money out of it if done correctly.
I have the same concerns as Dean, ie whether anyone will still be around who is qualified when you get around to doing it. The biggest challenge for you seems to be the engraving and barrels. They will probably be the biggest expense too. To insure they are done by someone qualified, maybe you should consider doing it in sections. For example, scrape up the funds to do the barrels. That will take some time to do and give you a chance to save up for the next part of the project. It may take years but so what? You'll have a lifetime to enjoy it along with the satisfaction.
There will always be someone who can, for example, refinish a the stock. But you'll need folks with years of experience to get the engraving and barrels right. That's why you might want to think about getting started.

Good luck! Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray Masciarella For Your Post:
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #46
Ray Masciarella
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good luck! Ray
Ray Masciarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #47
Gill Frye
Forum Associate

Member Info

Several months ago I looked at a BH that all the engraving was worn off, looked alot like yours. The only thing I could figure was somebody let the thing rust up and then tried to get it off by buffing or steel wool, such a shame to see.
Gill Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #48
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

I don't mind taking my time, and appreciate the advice. I'm just worried about them not doing their restorations anymore. Maybe I could write them a letter or e-mail? And Ray i did join the PGCA and am just sending out a research letter too today.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Lyons For Your Post:
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #49
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Holy cow! I'd sure like to have that gun tell it's story on just where it's been! You're a lucky fellow Stephan. I hope you are able to enjoy decades of shooting that beauty. In the end you will never regret spending the money to get it properly restored. A better investment you'll never make....
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #50
Stephen Lyons
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ill be sure too update on the history of the gun. Ill have to ask some other family members who know about about it. And hopefully that and the research letter, however long that may take, and you'll have the history. It seems like you all appreciate both the history and the guns.