Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 08-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Milton, take next month's paycheck and buy 30 RMC eight gauge empties before they go out of business. There won't be any more. I have never loaded mine, but they are in reserve when my paper Winchesters wear out.
I was thinking about that but was wondering how their orders are coming along since they plan on closing but they dont have a date set . Theres a company like RMC thats starting to machine brass in all these obsolete and obscure calibers . They are using a milling machine with cad instead of turning each one by one on a lathe . The owner is a member of a antique firearms group I am on with Facebook . I need to ask him about setting up for milling 8 ga cases for when RMC does close . Though with RST bringing out a lineup for 8 ga , they are working with Tom Armbrust for their 8 ga lineup they told me .

I have about 25 resized 8 ga hulls I got from Mr.Charlie years ago when I planned on buying a Davenport.

As long as we dont get hit with another cat 5 hurricane like last year which pretty much ruined the peanut crop I will probably be able to get a Parkers 8 ga . So im praying we have a good season .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #12
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne goerres View Post
Those two bulges are from the factory. Your are over thinking this to much. The measurements I gave Charlie work fine and any machinist can make the die for a very nominal fee. Do a search of this forum and you will find a print for the die.
Haha I tend to over think everything I try to always plan everything out .
We dont have many machinist in this area but I could probably find one in Tallahassee .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #13
Matthew McFarland
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use the CH4D dies and they work great. Both Winchester and Remington cases are sized easily. I don't remember which brand but one of them can be done in one step with only the second die. The one piece head is actually two pieces it just has the small belt under the case head instead of outside. I got my mec press from Ken Burns and I believe he is still making them and can give info if anyone wants it.

Matthew
Matthew McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a lathe and have made quick and dirty rifle dies. Buying a set from CH4D most times is a better option. Most swaging takes several passes and can cause problems. Each case is different size, shape, temper, thin can be most difficult. Dave at CH knows his stuff and no doubts has worked the bugs out. He’s made several custom rifle dies for me.

Most any machinist can turn out a die few have hardening capability. CH dies are very hard and will last. Quick dies I have made are out of free machining steel and soft. Fine for experiments not a long term solution. Few 8 gage Hulls I would probably make my own. I have a very large Arbor press.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote