Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 03-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I've had two English setters in my life both were hand me downs and in my younger years I didn't know better. I have many friends with them and they all hunt well. They also spend an inordinate amount of time at the end of the day combing burrs and tangles out of them.

I have hunted GSP for over 30 years. I have had more good ones than bad ones and three that were exceptional. I don't buy into the one man dog scenario as all of mine have been friendly and loved people. They are a versatile breed and can hunt any upland game bird you desire.

With either one look for a dependable breeder ask for references and socialize the pup. With love, understanding and patience you won't go wrong with either breed.

Here is a picture of Ike at 15 months hunting quail in Georgia this January. I think he will develop into my fourth exceptional shorthair.

By the way Gunner is the GSP in my avatar. He was the finest companion anyone good ask for. He even got his own Parker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1039.JPG (46.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1052.JPG (131.9 KB, 190 views)
Unread 03-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
Timothy Salgado
PGCA Member

Member Info

Kirk,
When I bought my German Shorthaired Pointer years ago I did a lot of research and went the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association route, ended up joining two local chapters, becoming president of one and becoming a life member. NAVHDA has great website with a lot of resources from local chapter information, to the performance testing scores and dog reports and breeder information that you can research on the site and print out. You're in the heart of NAVHDA country and I know there are a good number of NAVHDA GSP breeders located there. My GSP Belle was a great dog on upland birds and waterfowl and was easy to train, especially with the help a local chapter provides. She was also a great family dog. I know that when looking at GSP's they run the gamut of dogs from field trial stock to the Deutsch Kurzhaar (German GSP's) breeders, both of which are represented in NAVHDA. Good luck in your search and decision
Tim
Timothy Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timothy Salgado For Your Post:
Unread 04-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,125 Posts

We have had GSPs in my family since before I was born, so I'm a little prejudiced.
We have had some extremely good ones.
That said, I have friends who run Setters, and love em. Gotta spend some time around both, and see which one grabs you.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Who knew?
Unread 04-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
Jon Sheets
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Who knew?

Wait, there are pointing dogs other than English Setters?

Why?
Jon Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Sheets For Your Post:
Unread 04-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #15
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
I have a friend with a gsp and like legh mentions, he is more of a "one man dog" my brittany loves everybody, and hunting birds more than anything. He is a snuggler too. I know the guys that have setters that I talk to can't imagine ever owning another kind of dog. My first and only bird dog is my brittany, and I can't imagine ever owning another type of bird dog unless I go look at one of Dean Romigs posts This should confuse you even more, I think no matter what kind of dog you get, he will enrich your life. Kirk if your ever up my way (kalkaska) look me up if the time is right I would be glad to show off my bird dog
I reread my own post, my buddy does have a gsp that is a "one man dog" I should of said while he is hunting. The breeder of my brittany has a young female that is similar, she gets aggressive towards other dogs that go near him while they are out in the woods hunting. Its the strangest thing, she is getting better now, she just did not want to share him with any other dog. I wanted to clarify my "one man dog" statement, that could include any breed, I think most breeds are very loyal, and loving in general. I do not have a lot of experience in bird hunting dogs, I just listen to what my friends say about the breeds they have. Most of them love whatever type of breed they have they just love those dogs and would not trade them for anything. Hope this makes sense
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #16
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

After fifty some years of Irish Setters, English Setters, and English Pointers, I was adopted by a German Wirehair. Eva is gone now, but I'm looking for another Wirehair. I'm not trying to convert anyone, because I don't hunt much any more, but for me the Wirehair has it all.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #17
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

The epitome , to me .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1D310DA2-43DF-4414-A0B2-67D7863F327F.jpg (511.9 KB, 2 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 04-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
George "Scott" Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,315 Times in 352 Posts

I've a owned and hunted over French Brittanies for over 30 years and for my kind of hunting they are perfect. Handle the heat and terrain in Arizona/New Mexico and can hunt big on the plains of Montana, Kansas and South Dakota. 90% of the time I hunt it is with my brother, he used to be a Brittany Man. But 6 years ago I bought him a Braque France and what a DOG! Her and my Brit as a pair are hard to beat!! If something would happen to my Brit I'm not sure the new pup wouldn't be a France.
George Davis is offline   Reply With Quote