Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #11
Jim Thynne
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but I wondered if there might be some new "developments" in what best protects case colors.

I have a Parker VH that has extraordinary original case colors. I'd like to shoot it (some, not a great deal). I was advised that diminishing the case colors would really hurt the value of the gun (since the gun will likely be part of my estate when I kick the bucket, I'm not sure how much I care about "value"). However, I consider myself a caretaker of the gun, so I do care about its future. It's a fine example.

Is there a good product that does not alter the color, protects well...and is removable if desired at some later time?
Destry has the answer: just shoot the damned thing. The value of these guns is what? and what will t be in 20 years?
Jim Thynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Thynne For Your Post:
Unread 11-17-2023, 11:56 AM   #12
Jim Thynne
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
Lacquer thinner should do it quickly. There is no solvent component to case color that should be harmed. Case color is a molecular part of the metal. Try anything on a hidden area first.
Actually I do like True oil. It does a nice job, and when it begins to wear off you take a solvent easily remove it, and do it again. Fingers work good if you are careful!
Jim Thynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Thynne For Your Post:
Unread 11-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #13
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,468 Times in 971 Posts

I noted at the Southern in Sanford last time I was there a great number of the guns displayed by CSMC had outstanding and shiny case coloring. Foxes, Parkers, LCs, Arriettas..it didn't matter, they were all clearly sprayed with something. When I asked Louis if they sprayed all their guns he just walked away (he's quite a guy let me tell you). Maybe I offended him, but DO some dealers spray their guns prior to display? The give away would have been the overspray or over "brush" onto some of the wood and I wondered if they removed this prior to shipping.
Unread 11-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #14
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
I noted at the Southern in Sanford last time I was there a great number of the guns displayed by CSMC had outstanding and shiny case coloring. Foxes, Parkers, LCs, Arriettas..it didn't matter, they were all clearly sprayed with something. When I asked Louis if they sprayed all their guns he just walked away (he's quite a guy let me tell you). Maybe I offended him, but DO some dealers spray their guns prior to display? The give away would have been the overspray or over "brush" onto some of the wood and I wondered if they removed this prior to shipping.
Years ago I purchased some "stuff" from CSMC that was advertised as protecting case colors. It turned the metal yellow.

My CSMC Fox definitely has had something applied to it as I see it wearing off. The colors still look great but are beginning to fade as any often used guns colors will over time.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2023, 08:42 AM   #15
Alfred Houde
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Case colors will fade over time. Some techniques were better than others. Keeping it in a darker corner of your gun cabinet out of direct light helps. Since you use or plan to use the firearm, conservation rather than preservation is key.
Alfred Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Houde For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2023, 09:15 AM   #16
Jerry VanHorn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dr. Gaddy told me years ago that he used Testors ..as in model car..clear lacquer..
Jerry VanHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry VanHorn For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2023, 12:04 PM   #17
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 411 Posts

Don't know the brand or source, but 15-20 years agoi I attended the huge gun show they had in Louisville in January and suddenly it seemed that every gun in the thousand or so displays there was coated in some sort of discussing crap that was as shiny as polished glass and coated the entire gun, metal and wood. It was so intense that it was hard to see detail in the metal or stock grain. Sounds like the same stuff. I haven't seen it anywhere for several years. I suspect everyone was hesitant about buying anything coated like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 11-19-2023, 08:54 AM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer View Post
Don't know the brand or source, but 15-20 years agoi I attended the huge gun show they had in Louisville in January and suddenly it seemed that every gun in the thousand or so displays there was coated in some sort of discussing crap that was as shiny as polished glass and coated the entire gun, metal and wood. It was so intense that it was hard to see detail in the metal or stock grain. Sounds like the same stuff. I haven't seen it anywhere for several years. I suspect everyone was hesitant about buying anything coated like that.
Arthur, I remember that shiny coating also, and I recall talking to a dealer about it at, coincidentally, the Louisville gun show. It was sold as a sort of do-all/cover everything for protecting the gun. I do recall seeing it for sale, but I don't recall the brand-name nor who sold it. It was horrible stuff in my (uneducated) opinion.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 11-19-2023, 02:21 PM   #19
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

Yeah, what is that stuff? They would put it on a rag like oil, but it seemed to be thicker than oil. It defied reason, being ugly and not any more protection than a rub with a silicone rag.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-30-2023, 10:33 PM   #20
LtCol Henderson Marriott
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A good high Carnauba content paste wax has worked for my other Fox and LC Smith shotguns.
It may also be carefully applied to the barrels-avoiding the rib pattern. It may be re-applied.
The advantage is that it is not semi-permanent and usage will remove it.
Lastly, it protects without altering the appearance in any way. I use a British high
quality wax. (A furniture pure wax or similar, not floor wax is recommended.) Test a small portion on a hidden area if you so choose.
{Also insure that any vehicle wax has no rubbing or polishing compound included-use only PURE wax, minimum additives. I avoid auto wax for a number of reasons including purity.}