Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-16-2023, 03:31 AM   #11
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I know I’m probably going against the grain on this forum, but I despise any firearm that is refinished, completely or partially. It’s only original once. And the crack isn’t that bad.
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Civco For Your Post:
Unread 11-16-2023, 06:58 AM   #12
David Champa
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Civco View Post
I know I’m probably going against the grain on this forum, but I despise any firearm that is refinished, completely or partially. It’s only original once. And the crack isn’t that bad.
Appreciate everyone’s input. There was a split on the head of the stock, undetectable with the receiver on, but leaving the receiver quite loose from the stock. I glued it back and have a staple ready for installation as soon as the shipment of acraglas arrives.

Figured once I have the stock apart again might be the time to refinish, if at all.
David Champa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2023, 09:05 AM   #13
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just shoot and enjoy it.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2023, 12:57 PM   #14
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm a shooter/kinda collector. I have several Parkers that I have done work on or had it done if beyond me. As I'm only a custodian of these guns, they'll outlive me, I consider this as maintenance. A proper rust blue re-do on barrels or proper re-case color is simply maintenance and protecting the gun for the generations down the line I hope will enjoy them as much as I do. My labs are gonna shake water on them, I'm gonna get hot and sweaty in the dove field and handle them and no matter how careful I am there will be an occasional scratch on a stock or fore end.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 11-19-2023, 06:51 AM   #15
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

Well said, Keith. In the future, when my grandsons use the guns that I use today, and have refinished years ago, what they will see are the scars from use that I, their grandad, put on them, not some nameless owner(s) of 50-100 years ago.

IMO, the trick is getting the right refinish on metal or wood. How differently the English feel about maintaining their guns, as compared to many Americans.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2023, 11:02 AM   #16
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
I consider this as maintenance. A proper rust blue re-do on barrels or proper re-case color is simply maintenance
I would differentiate having a gun re-case hardened from 'maintenance'.
The attributes of barrel bluing and wood finishes are protective. Barrel bluing is a protective finish on otherwise 'raw' steel, to prevent rust. Stock finish, regardless of type, is a protective finish to prevent moisture damage. The fact that they enhance the appearance is the secondary, the protection is primary.

The primary purpose of the case hardening process is to heat treat the surface (skin, case)of the metal such that hardness and wear resistance are achieved. The resulting colors are simply a byproduct result of the process. These colors come from the transfer of carbon, when the part reaches a certain temperature, from the carbonaceous material it's packed in. The colors are extremely shallow, and wear off with normal handling. When they're gone, the surfaces still retain the hardness and wear resistance. The colors are not like the gas in the tank of a new car; When the gas gauge is on E, we simply refill the tank. We don't need to tear the engine down.
The consistency of the colors on guns that left the factory is pretty good evidence that the process was also consistent. There are loads of examples of guns which were re-case hardened. The colors are often very different from those pretty recognizable as original. The differences can come simply from different materials the part was packed in, but can also be effected by the time the part was held at, once it reached the aim point. Too long at temp, means that the depth, or core of the part is also effected. Why does this matter? It means that the properties that the original heat treatment the raw forging got, are very likely no longer the same. internal harness may have gone up, and ductility may have dropped off the chart
(read brittle).
I personally enjoy guns which impart the signs of years of use. I don't have issues with re-blued barrels, or refinished stocks. I'm always wondering about guns which have been metallurgically messedwith. (Hi, I'm Edgar, and I'm a graduate metallurgist)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2023, 12:15 PM   #17
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Edgar, your knowledge and insights are always appreciated here. I had never really considered the "brittle" possibility. I have only 1 Parker that was re-case hardened (Turnbull I believe) and it matches in appearance very well with the couple of original condition benchmark guns I have been fortunate enough to see and handle. Now, I have no way to know what effect this had on the physical characteristics of the steel.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 11-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,539 Times in 4,621 Posts

There is never any actual functional reason to have to re-case harden a frame. Only if it has to be annealed for engraving or other work.

People normally do it for cosmetic purposes only.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-20-2023, 08:22 AM   #19
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Very much enjoyed this discussion. It's a privilege to watch folks express their opinion with knowledge, grace and dignity. All found right here. Something to be thankful for during a week where it's important to step up our expressions of thanks!
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 11-20-2023, 08:40 AM   #20
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pope View Post
Very much enjoyed this discussion. It's a privilege to watch folks express their opinion with knowledge, grace and dignity. All found right here. Something to be thankful for during a week where it's important to step up our expressions of thanks!
Amen!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: