Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

Congratulations, John. Tell us more about your trap field, brand of trap, controls, etc.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2023, 09:17 AM   #12
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Congratulations Mr. Davis.
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Woods For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2023, 09:22 AM   #13
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

Bill, the trap field was built in an old borrow pit near I-75. Rather than going down with the trap machine, I went up with the shooting posts. Sixteen yard posts are permanent, handicap posts are wooden stools one yard square that can be moved to the appropriate yardage mark. There are actually two trap machines. An Atlas AT-250 on an oscillator for singles and handicap and a Champion Doubles trap machine. Both are triggered with a foot petal. These are some old pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trap Field 1.jpg (515.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Trap Field 2.jpg (508.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trap Machines.jpg (515.4 KB, 0 views)

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2023, 04:23 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

John, I have to think that your scores would go up if you changed the foot pedal for a voice release.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2023, 05:34 PM   #15
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,239 Posts

Bill, you may be right. However, it's all just practice on my field and none of it counts towards my ATA yearly averages. My singles/handicap machine does throw a harder left and right target than ATA dictates. My theory has been that practice should be more difficult than competition and I really haven't felt much of a disadvantage with the foot pedal but who knows.

As an aside, the Parkers finished the 2023 ATA target year with a Singles average of 97.13% out of 2650 registered targets, a Handicap average of 90.29% out of 2100 registered targets and a Doubles average of 91.95% out of 2000 registered targets. This left me at number 3 in the State for the second year in a row. And I owe it all to Parker Brothers of Meriden, Ct. and a little practice.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2023, 05:58 PM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
Bill, you may be right. However, it's all just practice on my field and none of it counts towards my ATA yearly averages. My singles/handicap machine does throw a harder left and right target than ATA dictates. My theory has been that practice should be more difficult than competition and I really haven't felt much of a disadvantage with the foot pedal but who knows.

As an aside, the Parkers finished the 2023 ATA target year with a Singles average of 97.13% out of 2650 registered targets, a Handicap average of 90.29% out of 2100 registered targets and a Doubles average of 91.95% out of 2000 registered targets. This left me at number 3 in the State for the second year in a row. And I owe it all to Parker Brothers of Meriden, Ct. and a little practice.
I go along with practicing at a wider arc then necessary . It also reminds me of stories about the hotdogs of the time when everyone was still using White Flyer traps , seems those guys wouldn’t shoot if the WIN traps were in the hole that allowed movement out to the legal arc so to speak . These guys wanted the arc lessened .
Unread 11-08-2023, 07:34 PM   #17
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

Outstanding John. You humble us mere mortals. Keep up the good shooting.
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2023, 07:59 PM   #18
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,669 Times in 1,861 Posts

Neil Chadwick and or one of his associates from Long Range will make you up a voice controller for a few hundred bucks that you would like. Transmitter would clip on your belt while the microphone can be clipped to your vest or t-shirt. They work, and it would be a lot easier than dragging a foot controller around.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 11-08-2023, 09:34 PM   #19
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Brilliant set up on your range, John!! I have traveled around the country to all sorts of clubs but have NEVER seen a trap range setup like yours. When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense; easier to load and work on the machine. I have seen a few "private" clubs that set up their field just like the "standard", recommended setup; a lot of time and $$ to do it.

I am blown away by the ingenuity! Well done.
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. Scott Hanes For Your Post:
Unread 11-09-2023, 07:36 AM   #20
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,126 Posts

John, while I've never competed in trap at all I did spend a considerable part of my life actively competing in NSCA events, and working hard to improve through "home practice". I was loaned an old Comet brand automatic trap and wireless remote. The machine could be set for a time delayed release. I would clip the remote on my shirt, position myself at the predetermined location, to get the presentation I wanted to work on, then press the button. I had sufficient time to mount my gun with my usual pre-shot routine before the machine threw the bird. I would dearly love to get that machine back from him and make it my own by purchase. It's the only one I've ever seen.

I practice I would set it up in the field somewhere on my place, then begin walking in a big circle, as if "running the bases" on a ballfield, only with many more locations than 1st, 2nd and 3rd. This way I would see all the normal presentations (except vertical and rabbit) ....... L to R crosser, quartering at all angles, incoming, R to L crosser, and going away. I'd shoot four shots at each location. If I ran all four I'd move to the next station. If I missed I'd stay and keep shooting until I ran four straight.

The confidence I'd carry away with me to a big tournament was well worth the trouble, and I punched into Master class at the 2010 U.S. Open by using this practice technique. I no longer pursue the big shoots because of the time away from home, and the desire to spend more time at home with family (read grandkids ). But I can appreciate the effort and time you put into being a winner. Well done!
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: