Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #21
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Ken's post strikes a familiar cord with me. I know this is "old hat," but it's still intriguing to me how the balance of a gun determines as much about its useful accuracy as does its total weight.

The Cogswell & Harrison back action hammer 16 bore I mentioned above has 30 inch barrels and is enough forward weighted that is swings well on birds in open country. The same for my under 6 lbs. Dickson round action 12 bore.

My 20 gauge DHE is 6 lbs. 10 oz., a bit on the heavier side for a 20, but it is balanced between the hands and carries and shoots lighter than its scaled weight. It fits me, as do the others I've mentioned -- hitting where I look/point.

My grouse guns would probably be considered "whippy" by some, but I don't do much gun swinging on grouse in tight cover and their light weight is a help in taking quick shots (not fast, but quick...to me there's a difference).

If the gun is balanced correctly for me--and the cover and game I'm after--a light gun is easier on my aging parts after a very long day afield.

I'm not knocking heavier guns, just describing what works for this one, aging hunter. (I've also gone to lighter weight boots, but that's another thread.)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #22
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

I like big, heavy guns for everything but quail. That said, I took my very light V. Bernardelli 20 ga out for sea ducks on the Chesapeake last year and did quite well. Why that gun? It was new and I really wanted to shoot it. Bismuth #5 out of M/F chokes did just fine. Normally though, I like a heavy gun so a 12 ga Parker on a #2 frame is near perfect. For quail, I have a very light and lively Jules Pierre 16 ga hammer gun with 30 in barrels that is a joy to carry and shoot.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #23
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

My quest to learn to shoot left handed has me taking out all of my guns and trying them. The last two trips out had me shooting my Repro 28, a 28" 1-1/2-frame CHE12 and a 30" 2-frame DH12. I did the best with the heavier D grade, second best with the CHE12 and could hardly hit anything with the Repro 28. I just couldn't get a good mount with the light Repro and found myself searching for the clay. With the DH12 it seemed effortless to powder one clay after another. When I was shooting right-handed I could do that with this Repro. Not a totally definitive test, of course, but it got me to thinking.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #24
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Again, the heaviness of the gun becomes an aid when shooting unaccustomed as a lefty. A lefty who needs to change to being a right-handed shooter would suffer the same consequences initially. But I'll bet if you practice enough with the 28 you'll get pretty good with it.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #25
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

When you talk about hits and misses and how well you shoot. Gun fit is most important, then perceived dynamics and weight is the shooters preference. First you need a gun with proper dimensions that you shoulder the same every time...I have found that a light whippy gun that has a longer length of pull helps me to shoulder the gun correctly and hit more targets than one that has normal or has short pull length. SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #26
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
My quest to learn to shoot left handed has me taking out all of my guns and trying them. The last two trips out had me shooting my Repro 28, a 28" 1-1/2-frame CHE12 and a 30" 2-frame DH12. I did the best with the heavier D grade, second best with the CHE12 and could hardly hit anything with the Repro 28. I just couldn't get a good mount with the light Repro and found myself searching for the clay. With the DH12 it seemed effortless to powder one clay after another. When I was shooting right-handed I could do that with this Repro. Not a totally definitive test, of course, but it got me to thinking.
Intriguing! Is weight the only different variable?
Unread 05-20-2019, 02:20 AM   #27
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Not really. Two of the guns are stocked pretty similar and have a PG; the Repro has a pretty flat DAH and a SG. My perception though was that it was a weight issue; I just had a tough time getting a consistent mount and swinging through. It's not impossible it was the SG though. My left hand is more arthritic and stiff than my right hand and isn't as flexible. In the past I generally shot the Repro just fine right handed. Whatever the issue, it's not impossible that the Repro will have to go if I can't sort it out. The heaviest gun certainly was easier to 'swing through' consistently on rising clays.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2019, 03:18 AM   #28
Joe Graziano
Forum Associate

Member Info

Weight is one reason I shy away from English game guns such as Purdey. The other is, I’m about $100K short. The M21 I bought recently from a PGCA member fits me very well, is a big, heavy gun. I love it and was crushing targets from the first shot. I will increase the LOP to 14 3/4 and it will be perfect. For me, a gun of about 8 lbs, 14 3/4 to 15 in LOP, under 2 1/2 DAH, a touch of cast and dual beads is a winner. It’s only taken me 40 years to figure out.
Joe Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Graziano For Your Post:
GH 16
Unread 05-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #29
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Default GH 16

Picked this one up last week. GH 16 on 1 frame with factory original 26" barrels. Stock has some ugly issues you can see in the photos, but repairs are holding tight. Really great gun and great addition to my quail gun collection. Ought to be good on doves too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (512.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (491.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (511.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (510.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (516.0 KB, 4 views)
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #30
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Your pup seems to approve of your new acquisition. Another 16 is always something to celebrate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: