Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Unread 03-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am not a metal worker or welder so bear with me please. In what we are referring to as sleeving, the old barrels are cut off and the new barrels are welded to the old chambers. In the example I showed in the photo in my earlier post, there is only a very fine line showing that this was done.

The location of that joint, I assume, will be subjected to the full pressure of the load upon firing. It seems to me that the weld is applied to the surface of the joint, but then ground away to achieve aesthetic expectations. How is this joint strong enough to be safe? I trust that it is, I am just hoping to learn why.
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Ted,

The front of the breech section, after the barrels are cut off, is bored to accept the machine-stepped barrel tubes (probably as much as 1/2" in length) and shrink fit and welded or bonded in some manner.

I had a Ruger Red Label (which are monoblocked as are most modern doubles) that would weep oil from both joints with the first couple of shots I took after cleaning and oiling it. I called Ruger about this and they told me in effect, "Don't worry about that, a lot of them do that..." So, it ain't perfect on every gun.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Ahh, I can see how that adds strength. Maybe that's how/why the term "sleeved" came to be used because that stepped barrel "lug" is inserted into the bored-out chamber "sleeve" section. Thanks!
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Hicks For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

I had Bred sleeve a 16ga for me. According to Brad, what he did was remove the ribs and saw off the original barrels in front of the breach chambers. He then bored out the remaining breach material to accept the tubes and turned 16ga barrel tubes to zero tolerance of the size bored "through" what was the original chambers. He put the tubes into liquid nitrogen and slipped the tubes into the breach and when the tubes warmed up they were there to stay. Then laser welded the joint to make it about invisible when blued. He re-chambered the barrels and did whatever magic it took to prove point of aim, obtain proper balance, relay the ribs and fit forend & action back to proper working order.

The only thing he didn't do that I expected was to laser weld the joint in the breach end, I could see the hair thin line under the ejectors on the barrels breach ends. But, needless to say, I was happy with the results. The gun went from a non-shooter to a very nice, serviceable gun.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #15
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,392 Times in 3,073 Posts

Robin, the method Brad used is the same as what is done in England. The bored out chamber is usually to the cartridge rim diameter. Rather than a square shoulder, the barrel tube has a very slight champher from the smaller diameter to the large diameter. This then gives a V groove weld prep.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 06-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
John Walters
Forum Associate

Member Info

Out of the dark at last I have a JP Sour SXS and it is stamped sleeved and I have been looking at the breach end for years to find the sleeve inside the chamber and could not find it. I assumed that the job was so good I just could not see it. Shoot it so well single trigger with ejectors 600.00 dollars I didn't care but was curious not any more.
John Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Walters For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #17
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,245 Posts

Images of the process are here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20580224
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,718 Posts

Drew, thanks for clarifying the truth about sleeving among the many expert opinions of what some of us "think" sleeving is. I believe Dewey Vicknair has some demonstration of sleeving on his website or blog.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #19
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

I purchased a 16 gauge Parker hammer gun that had been sleeved to 20 gauge. I loved the little gun and won the 20 gauge hammer gun event at the Southern with it one year. At the Fall Southern a few years later I found an original 16 gauge Parker with the same type frame that had been lightened. It was so much lighter and well balanced it made me disappointed in my gun.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Right Bill - ‘sleeving’ and ‘lining’ are two completely different methods of addressing unsafe barrels/bores.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote