Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Grouse guns
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default Grouse guns

The opener is less than a month away and I'll be able to leave for the Upper Peninsula a week or so early this year giving me 5-6 weeks of hunting. This year I'll have two companions Ike who will be 2 and Duke who will see his first birthday in the U.P.
The gun selection begins. There will be only one 12 but it's the small bore choices that make these decisions both fun and thought provoking. Changing conditions dictate different guns as in leaves vs no leaves, warmer weather vs colder weather ect. Decisions, decisions, decisions
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Will be going into bird season with a greatly expanded small bore Arsenal. Hope to get them all out
Mills Morrison is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,840 Posts

Ha! Those are the tough decisions we all wish we had my friend.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Among the most promising is a 1 frame 16 with 26 inch original barrels that handles like a wand
Unread 08-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Instead of counting sheep to get to sleep at night, I scheme on which gun to use for the upcoming hunts -- dove, grouse, woodcock, quail, ducks, etc. I hope I never cease to be optimistic for the future at this time of year. I think I'll not check the news any more, and just check the weather. On second thought, I'll pass on checking the weather, too.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

That would keep me up
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

The 16's will be an A grade Fox 26 inch, Purdy with 28 inch barrels this is more for the later season as it's choked IC/F and a GHE 16. Gunner's Gun heads up the 20's but that's as far as I've thought it out
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
Will be going into bird season with a greatly expanded small bore Arsenal. Hope to get them all out
An excellent goal Mills
Unread 08-22-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
Heff
PGCA Member

Member Info

My son will be coming up this year with his 1 year old GSP, my DDH Milo left us this spring. My arsenal this year for my son and I will be a VHE skeet 16, and a Trojan 16 for my son. A GH 0 frame Damascus 16, a PH 1 frame 32” 16, and a VHE 20 for me. I may also bring up a PH 12 that weighs just over 6 1/2 lbs with its 26” barrels. My mind is still on walleye and perch on Lake Erie, but I am starting to daydream...
Unread 08-23-2019, 01:45 AM   #10
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member

Member Info

One of my favorite topics. A Parker that I can envision enriching October is one of my greatest weaknesses! As Rich has mentioned many times before “ the next one is the best one”, isn’t lost on me. I can do some serious mental gymnastics and become very creative with financial determinations if a Parker starts talking grouse to me. Should it be close to fitting me, I am toast! If I did not already have at least 3 go to Parker Bros and Parker backups for each it would be a serious void and necessary emergency steps would be required!

I know I have a problem, but this grouse gun topic is a daily concern and makes me think of one’s I have walked away from or couldn’t buy still haunt me. The AH 16 that gave me night sweats, it has a very good home with someone that appreciates it. “Rita” a no excuses Sexy D with kickers. She is well owned and cared for also. The 00 frame 28ga that after a lengthy dissertation on the vast differences between the 00 frame and 0 frame with the Chairman dead ended with her questioning how many Parker 28 ga guns do you have? Not as many as Dean wasn’t the correct response. I hunt grouse alone so I really do need that 16 hammer gun!

I think this year will be dominated by 20ga. guns. 2 will go for sure and a 28ga has to go also just because. The 16ga guns will just have to wait their turn come November and ditch parrots.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post: