Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Interesting PH12
Unread 08-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #1
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Default Interesting PH12

A friend here calls me last week saying he heard I was a Parker guy. He bought a Parker at a garage sale from a guy who says it was his grandpas and would like me to look at it. The guy had never shot it. I go out there today to see it and it turns out to be a 30" twist #1 frame PH12. Hasn't been shot much - all screws are good and regulated, bores are good, especially for a gun that was last shot at least 40 years ago and put away uncleaned, and the receiver is in excellent condition, albeit with some patina. Stock seems a replacement but superbly done, save for the buttplate, which has been filed on some to make it fit. If the butt plate was right you'd think the stock was original. 15" LOP...?? BBls have pattern but have suffered from poor storage but would clean up ok with one of those magic copper scrubby pads, I think. Something is keeping the locking lug from fully engaging - can't be too serious, but it feels like something metal is blocking it. It actually looks like it's never been apart, but that's unlikely. 1893 vintage, I think he said. He's been in touch with someone online about it and had gathered some info. Perfectly shootable gun once cleaned up and the lever issue is remedied. And... he paid all of $100 for it!! It was hard to drive away without making him an offer!!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Alfred Greeson
PGCA Member

Member Info

No shame in making an offer or at least leaving a card for future reference. I always think of the guy, an undertaker, who turned down widows wanting him to get guns out of the house after someone had passed. One day he mentioned it to a well known smith, who we all know, and he told him to take the guns, they are going to give them to someone. In a few days, the guy comes by with an as new Sterlingworth in a wooden shipping crate with two sets of barrels, given to him to get it out of the house! Since that time, he now has amassed a large collection, one bears that Purdey name, all given to him.
Alfred Greeson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfred Greeson For Your Post:
Unread 08-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Greeson View Post
No shame in making an offer or at least leaving a card for future reference. I always think of the guy, an undertaker, who turned down widows wanting him to get guns out of the house after someone had passed. One day he mentioned it to a well known smith, who we all know, and he told him to take the guns, they are going to give them to someone. In a few days, the guy comes by with an as new Sterlingworth in a wooden shipping crate with two sets of barrels, given to him to get it out of the house! Since that time, he now has amassed a large collection, one bears that Purdey name, all given to him.
I guess every job may have a perk or two!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

Ask him if he wants to double his money.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post: