Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 12-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #11
jeffery c
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gary -- Thanks for the review! I used a Kick-EEZ pitch wedge on a NID 20 that was bruising my son's face. You reduced pitch to correct undershooting, right?

Researcher -- Thanks for the pictures, those are beautiful guns, the middle one has that nice blonde wood that seems uncommon in American walnut.
jefferyconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #12
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Yes, the gun was shooting low. I can never remember which way is positive or negative. I had to shim the top of the butt plate out. I used washers behind the plate one at a time until I got the desired result.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,831 Times in 2,362 Posts

Quote:
Researcher -- Thanks for the pictures, those are beautiful guns, the middle one has that nice blonde wood that seems uncommon in American walnut.
I took the Turkish option that was offered on the 28-gauges.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2020, 11:20 PM   #14
jeffery c
Forum Associate

Member Info

Researcher, well that explains the honey colored wood. Most pictures I've seen of European walnut don't seem to show feather figure, but black stripes. American walnut can be blonde at times, or at least I've owned guns with lighter wood. Nice stock, anyway!
Unread 12-31-2020, 11:24 PM   #15
jeffery c
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
Yes, the gun was shooting low. I can never remember which way is positive or negative. I had to shim the top of the butt plate out. I used washers behind the plate one at a time until I got the desired result.
I could have this wrong, yet I consider more pitch with the barrels further away from the wall when measuring. I kind of think that can make the gun mount higher plus slide up under recoil.
Unread 01-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #16
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,213 Times in 895 Posts

I love my RBL 12 gauge gun. Went to Connecticut Shotgun was measured for it, picked out an exhibition piece of wood, wood finish, fitted it with double triggers, a heel and toe plate checkered in between, and all built on a 16 gauge frame. 6.8 Lbs. 28" barrels with choke tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5912 (002).jpg (497.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5908 (002).jpg (503.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5911 (002).jpg (489.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5914 (002).jpg (491.6 KB, 0 views)
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #17
jeffery c
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow! Thanks, Steve. Really nice gun with the heel and toe plates. That reddish wood with feathered figure is so cool. Is that Claro or American walnut?
The Following User Says Thank You to jefferyconnor For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #18
jeffery c
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
I ordered my Launch Edition 12/28/2005 and got it 10/3/2007. Straight grip, slim forearm, double triggers, case color, 4x walnut. Weighs 6 pounds 3 ounces, exactly the same as my favorite 1913 vintage 28-inch Krupp barrel Ansley H. Fox A-grade 20-gauge. I got into the RBLs to because of the cryogenically treated barrels with the tuf-coat bores so I'd have guns to shoot whatever the government forces on us. I got them all.

Not long after I got my RBL-16 I was hunting out in the Channeled Scablands. I was watching Skitso on point and not my footing and took a tumble. I fell into a big clump of grass, but the RBL wasn't so lucky. Got a couple 25 cent piece size gouges in the wood ahead of the checkering and some scratches in the bluing on the barrels. I'm sure that if I'd have been carrying one of my vintage doubles those would have been dents. So, the RBL-16 has become my go to hunting gun where non-tox is needed. I've also shot a lot of skeet with it. I also love to shoot skeet with my RBL-410. Far and asway the best balanced .410-bore double I've handled at a fraction of an ounce over five pounds. My smaller RBLs --

Attachment 91491

The RBL-16 --

Attachment 91492

The original RBL-12 I got, was exactly as I'd ordered, but it was just way too heavy, eight pounds fifteen ounces. So, I took it with me back to the 2010 Vintage Cup at Pintail Pointe. I talked with Lou at the CSMC booth about it. He said to leave it with him and he'd see what he could do. In early December I was on my way to shoot sporting clays at Double Barrel Ranch when I got a call from CSMC saying my gun had been shipped to the FFL I had on file with them. A few days later I took possession of an RBL-12 built on the smaller RBL-16 frame that weighs a fraction of an ounce over seven pounds with 30-inch barrels.
What is that third gun? Would you mind posting a picture of the stock? I just took a closer look and that wood has incredible figure, as good as it gets for black walnut. Did you make any special requests to get that wood? I'm assuming that's their exhibition level upgrade.
Unread 01-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #19
Kurt Sauers
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
I love my RBL 12 gauge gun. Went to Connecticut Shotgun was measured for it, picked out an exhibition piece of wood, wood finish, fitted it with double triggers, a heel and toe plate checkered in between, and all built on a 16 gauge frame. 6.8 Lbs. 28" barrels with choke tubes.
I asked for the same thing andthey said they can't get it under 7.
Kurt Sauers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #20
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,213 Times in 895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Sauers View Post
I asked for the same thing andthey said they can't get it under 7.
Wow, prices have gone up a bit in four years. Mine was not cheap but not that much.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote