Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
One of them I remember was stepping out of my truck and Lucy flushing two pheasants, a hen and rooster, and me doubling on them. Stocked birds no doubt from that morning. Not too sporting, no watercolor painting here folks with colors ablaze and a dog on point. She was an old grey Lab who was my first good dog. She retrieved one, then the other, to hand. We were out five minutes. I lifted her into the truck and we went home. Her life was complete and she was gone a few weeks later. That was one I remember because it wasn't about me, but about her.
Andy, that is indeed a day to remember, and more of a "watercolor painting" than I could imagine.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,389 Times in 595 Posts

Looking back on the last 10 years my red letter days involve the success of my sons and grand children. My granddaughters first woodcock that i had flushed and marked and she walked in and made the shot. I think that was the high point of my hunting life until my grandsons first grouse the next year. I seem to get more satisfaction out of their success than my own. Fishing is the same, when i put someone on to a fish it is better than my catching it myself.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

With close to 40 years of being owned by bird dogs i could write a book on Red Letter days. Two come to mind one recently (last year) and one from long ago.

I've been going to Georgia Quail hunting each January for the last 6-7 years and last year was the first time I took my dogs along. Ike was just 2 and Duke was a year. There within a couple of weeks of each other both born in September.

Ike and Duke AKA The Boys had never hunted together until then. They worked together as if they had been doing it for years instead of hours. The short story version is while out looking for a single Ike pointed a covey that had been overlooked by the guides dog. We had let Ike out to stretch his legs and he found the covey in minuets of being out of the box. We let Duke out as well after that just to see how they might due together. Previously they had been hunting separately. Either myself or my hunting partner dropped a bird in a Palmetto grove and for the love of God couldn't find it. Duke was on point and we searched and kicked the cover with no results. I ran my foot litterly under Dukes nose and he never budged. We thought the bird must of run off and broadened our search that is all of us (two hunters a guide and his dogs) except Duke. I glanced back and Duke took a half a step and picked up the bird. The guide didn't believe he was just past a year old and that Ike was just over two. For three days he tried to buy them.
The Boys are retuning to Georgia next month.

Long ago before I had a Parker I had a GSP named Sturm. We were walking a fence row when he pointed. Expecting a Pheasant I was shocked when a grouse flushed and even more surprised when he flew straight away. I was in my M12 phase then and was using a 28ga skeet gun. My next bewilderment was that after two shots the bird was still flying heading for a wood lot. Sturm and I followed the flight path and along the way saw a drop of blood on a leaf. Shortly Sturm locked up on point along a dead fall. I kicked and busted branches but there was no flush. The bird was dead under a fallen log. When I cleaned it there was on pellet hole in the breast that must have gotten a lung.

While I have lots of pictures of The Boys, Daisy, Ilsa, and Gunner on either my computer or phone the one of Sturm on that day is only etched in my memory but it's still bright and vivid even after all these years.
Unread 12-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I wish I knew how to get pics from my phone to the computer It's NOT a red letter day when your phone is smarter than the operator
Unread 12-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
I wish I knew how to get pics from my phone to the computer It's NOT a red letter day when your phone is smarter than the operator
Rich, email some pictures to me at g.g2@aol.com and I'll try to post them for you. I would like to see the boys in action.
Unread 12-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #16
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Here are Rich's Boys...apparently enjoying themselves:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG9533151.jpg (99.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG9532591.jpg (41.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3242.jpeg (33.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG9533131.jpg (52.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3259.jpeg (30.0 KB, 51 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #17
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

I chose grouse hunting over shooting clays today. Just got done pulling 50 quills from my Otis’s face lips and gums. NOT A RED LETTER DAY. Gotta love Labs. This was his FIFTH porcupine. Remember the good days when these days strike!
Unread 12-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
I chose grouse hunting over shooting clays today. Just got done pulling 50 quills from my Otis’s face lips and gums. NOT A RED LETTER DAY. Gotta love Labs. This was his FIFTH porcupine. Remember the good days when these days strike!
Gosh, Andy, I hope you got them all out. Those vile quills can travel unseen and cause lots of issues. But, if this is Otis' 5th time, you are probably a pro at extracting them. I hate porkies! I don't hate much, but they are on my list for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #19
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Gosh, Andy, I hope you got them all out. Those vile quills can travel unseen and cause lots of issues. But, if this is Otis' 5th time, you are probably a pro at extracting them. I hate porkies! I don't hate much, but they are on my list for sure.
I got them all. I know they can be a real problem. I hog tied him with duct tape and then jammed a 2" stick in the back of his mouth while sitting on him. He bled like a stuck pig. After the first two times that cost me $400 each time with a vet trip, I learned to do this. That's why I hog tie and get that mouth open. Being a Lab his memory is about two seconds. He still loves me.
Unread 12-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #20
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
I got them all. I know they can be a real problem. I hog tied him with duct tape and then jammed a 2" stick in the back of his mouth while sitting on him. He bled like a stuck pig. After the first two times that cost me $400 each time with a vet trip, I learned to do this. That's why I hog tie and get that mouth open. Being a Lab his memory is about two seconds. He still loves me.
It all makes me cringe. I had a male Gordon that could not leave porkies alone. The last time he tangled with one we had to take him to the vet to have the few we could not get in his mouth removed. While he was under anesthesia, his heart stopped. They revived him, but three days later he dropped over dead after beginning to retrieve a grouse he'd pointed. We are still not sure what happened, and it haunts me to this day, but I shoot porkies on sight now when I come across them.

I hope Otis is okay.