Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

New to me Parker VH
Unread 01-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
Fishrising (Ben)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default New to me Parker VH

New member here. Acquired my first Parker. Want to make this a safe, huntable, gun. Not a prize winning show queen. I have very little money into it as it was part of a trade deal where I wanted to get another gun but this sweetened the pot as I wanted a vintage American SxS eventually. To me, it needs to be put back on face, so it probably needs some hinge pin work. And it needs the stock fixed. Has two old pins in it and the stock has loosened and the original crack has likely expanded. No clue what it would cost to accomplish those two things, but if I could get both successfully down for under $1000 total I think I’d be happy. I’d clean and re-oil the stock on my own. Not worried about a worn grip medallion or a cracked butt plate (but that I might replace depending on cost). Anyway, here are some pics, clickable for larger versions and a few more pics at the linked gallery. What do you think?

https://fishrising.smugmug.com/Category/n-jxzHf/Parker/

Last edited by Ben Safryn; 01-16-2021 at 09:40 PM..
Ben Safryn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben Safryn For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 05:26 AM   #2
hugh rather
PGCA Member

Member Info

Nice old V.If it could talk,I`ll bet it has some stories.Looks like a good action cleaning and evaluation of the gun should be first.Enjoy it,post some pics of your progress.This forum and its members are some of the most knowledgable and helpful on the internet in my experience.Welcome!
hugh rather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hugh rather For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #3
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,235 Times in 441 Posts

It would be a good thing to have the barrels checked by a gunsmith, bore condition, minimum barrel wall thickness, etc. Then decide on what is needed in terms of putting it back in shootable condition.
Unread 01-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Welcome to the fold Ben. Whether you know it or not, you have just started a slide down a slippery slope, enjoy it!
Good advice from Keavin. Clean the *#%$ out of it and then have someone knowledgeable on vintage SxS guns inspect the barrels particularly and the gun overall. Post your pics and questions here as I don't think there is anywhere else that has the pool of knowledge and willingness to share it. Many of members are fine craftsmen and can guide you around the potholes. I would start with the inspection and getting a research letter for your gun.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,006 Posts

Someone with the serial # book would be able to look up your gun to see how it is listed. Pictures of the muzzle of the gun and at the end of the top rib would help. How are the bores, much pitting?
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
Fishrising (Ben)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks all, I’ll become a member and get a letter, plus get the barrels checked: And go from there. A fellow CT, life, member has reached out to me and offered to mic my barrels and give the gun a look over. Think I’ll take them up on their offer, just need to find time to catch up with them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben Safryn For Your Post:
Unread 01-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #7
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,772 Times in 2,006 Posts

Definitely, take him up on the offer
Unread 01-19-2021, 09:00 AM   #8
Fishrising (Ben)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks all, I’m going to take it to someone local to mic the barrels, talk to me about getting the action tighter and options for tightening/replacing*the stock. *Once I have someone more knowledgeable than give their opinion after seeing the gun I’ll make my decision. *Maybe I’ll tackle the stock. *Something I’ve been wanting to try. *Maybe this is the gun to “try” on. *Maybe this turns into a duck gun, one I don’t have to worry about. *Or maybe I do end up parting it out. *Here is the gap on the action: .012” / .305mm, the .014” / .356mm wouldn’t fit.

Unread 01-19-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
Cameron Thraen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Appears to be a great gun for a 'project'. Take it apart, learn as much as you are able about the Parker receiver and functions. Excellent opportunity to work on the wood. Should the barrels turn out to be sound and if you like to work on a project with a gun like this you can do about everything yourself except put it back on face and reblack the barrels. I looked in my serialization book and did not find this serial number listed. Have fun.
Cameron Thraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2021, 01:25 PM   #10
Eric Estes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Shim stock under the hook works well for some who don't want to spend the $ to have it put back on face. A bit of searching you will find several posts here on doing that. As long as the barrels are in safe usable condition there is always a way forward.
Eric Estes is offline   Reply With Quote