Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Inherited Parker
Unread 12-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
Joseph Castle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Inherited Parker

Just inherited a Parker that belonged to my father in law, I collect firearms but not antique so I'm new to all this. Interested in potentially having it professionally restored but not for use, I'd like to hand it down to my step son at a later date since it belonged to his grandfather. It's rough, honestly not sure if restoration would damage it further,and by restoration I'm just referring to cleaning the barrels to show the damascus steel pattern and possibly the stock if I can find someone competent in my area. It's a Grade 2 (code G) damascus steel double barrel, serial 62930 which is returning a manufacture date of 1890. Hopefully the photos attach correctly. Anyway, just an intro, already found a ton of info here and am very appreciative of that. Hope everyone is having a great night!..........-Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201213_151340433_HDR.jpg (491.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201213_151407540_HDR.jpg (497.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201213_151235618_HDR.jpg (505.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201213_151217487_HDR.jpg (503.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201213_150926910 (1).jpg (484.4 KB, 2 views)
Joseph Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Castle For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

I like to see worn butt plates like that but not the rust on the screws .
Steve Huffman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
Joseph Castle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yeah, I haven't done anything to this gun past breaking it down to get photos since I know nothing about it in general or Parkers specifically. No one even knew he had these, he passed away 3 years ago and my mother in law just got to the point where she was comfortable with going through/disposing of some of his belongings. Also had another old double barrel in there in worst shape than this one, stock almost identical but barrel is stamped Wilsons Welded Steel, found a serial but so far haven't been able to find any useful info online about it. Considering my lack of knowledge about these I won't attempting anything myself. If anyone knows of a gunsmith in KY (Louisville area) that has experience with these let me know. Thanks!
Unread 12-13-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,407 Times in 3,075 Posts

From what I can see, there doesn't appear to be anything seriously wrong with the gun. It appears on face. but you can confirm that by holding it up to the light and see if you can see light through the joint of breech face and breech end of the barrels. If it has no wiggle when you shake it, closed, it almost surely could see the field again.
Unlike lots of lesser guns, Parkers are a strong gun. That notwithstanding, I'd suggest some light loads like RST 2 1/2" Lights. That would is older than Zip's ass, so you don't want to be pounding it.
I guess I'd put a replacement butt plate on it, and put that one away.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

I wonder about the barrels being original to the gun, or not. The doll's head, lacking engraving that certainly should be present, appears to have been smoothed or filed off in an attempt to lower it's height to better fit the frame.

Just a thought, not attempting to disparage the gun at all.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Joseph Castle
Forum Associate

Member Info

No issues, before this afternoon I'd never heard of Parker before, my interests have always lain elsewhere. Any information I can get helps, feel like there's going to be a steep learning curve and deep rabbit hole to go down with this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Castle For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,347 Times in 372 Posts

Joe, since this is a family gun and you’re planning on passing it down, order a letter. Factory records might answer some questions.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
Joseph Castle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Gustafson View Post
Joe, since this is a family gun and you’re planning on passing it down, order a letter. Factory records might answer some questions.
Thanks Garth! I've ordered a research paper on it, plan on building a velvet lined walnut box for it at our shop and storing it with dessicant packs to try and protect it for my son. Been looking for a local gun smith but may end up having to ship it. Found a little more on the other DBBL, it's a colton's firearms, c.1900-1901. Sold by Sears Roebuck, manufactured in Toledo, OH. Doesn't seem to be a registry on these so that's likely as much as I'm going to find. As a side note on the Parker, I did find a serial on the side of the barrel lug that matches the serial on the water table, not sure if this is normal as the only place I've seen the serial being spoken of is on the water table but if this is standard it looks like the stock/barrel are original to each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Castle For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

There should also be one on the forend iron, under the trigger guard, and on the stock under the trigger guard. There could also be one under the forearm tip. If you want to unscrew all these pieces to check be sure to use a screwdriver that fits snuggly in the screws so you do not damage the screw heads.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #10
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,347 Times in 372 Posts

Joe, yours is an early hammerless Parker. 55,295 was the first, probably made late 1888. Like yours, that gun was a 12ga GH with Damascus barrels.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Parker Hammerless Double.pdf (676.2 KB, 12 views)
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garth Gustafson For Your Post: