Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

At it again - 16 gauge grouse gun restoration
Unread 08-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default At it again - 16 gauge grouse gun restoration

Parker VH.jpg

I just purchased this with the idea of restoring it for an upcoming grouse hunt at Pineridge Grouse Camp this fall.

It should arrive this week, and I hope it is worth doing a restoration on.

The purpose of the restoration is to end up with a humble, but well made and lovingly cared for Parker. It is 93 years old, and it deserves a little face-lift, without destroying its soul: it is a plain gun, which should exhibit quality, absent the adornments of a higher grade gun.

I am hoping to make it the ideal north woods grouse gun, not too fancy, because it will take the punishment of the "popples," but a Parker through and through.

Here is what I am thinking about:
  • Mechanical checkup/repairs if necessary
  • Barrels reblued
  • Chokes relieved
  • Lengthen and bend stock to specs, if possible, or butt transplant, if necessary
  • Blend/refinish as necessary
  • Case color, if appropriate
  • Discuss the merits and demerits of lengthening forcing cones and/or chambers

I have paid for the gun, but I have the right to reject it upon inspection, so please free to provide caveats and/or suggestions.

There is so much knowledge here, I would be a fool not to solicit opinions.

Cheers,

SCG

Left side.jpg
Right side.jpg
Under.jpg
Stock left.jpg
Steven Groh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Steven Groh For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Loooks great as is, of course dont know the LOP, or what you need in length. As for chokes, well I certainly like them open for grouse--cyl/cyl works great for me. What are they currently? Doubtful you could have all that work done and back in your hands by October. Honestly, I hate taking nice guns thru rough territory. My grouse gun is a little beat up VHE20, I have an identical VH 20 that was reblued, recased, wood refinished, but rarely carry that one in the woods. Great find and good luck this fall.
Unread 08-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

That list looks close to a full out restoration to me. Not the “refreshing it and not destroying soul” That you talk about.

And all that by fall? You sure are running out of time for nearly anyone that may be worth a darn. Maybe next fall.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 08-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

There is no reason to lengthen chambers or cones and unless it is F/F there is probably no reason to alter the chokes, just shooting spreaders will accomplish about the same thing.

Hunt with it this fall as it is and take it to the Skeet range or SC course and practice with it.
If you need more length you can use a slip-on pad with spacers in it if necessary.

Just out of curiosity and not intending to be insulting or flippant.... why did you buy a gun you knew you wouldn't be happy with?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
That list looks close to a full out restoration to me. Not the “refreshing it and not destroying soul” That you talk about.

And all that by fall? You sure are running out of time for nearly anyone that may be worth a darn. Maybe next fall.
Agreed. The timetable is inauspicious, but there it is.

If it won't work, I'll just slap a temporary pad on it, and call it good until next fall.

And I guess you are right, I am talking about a full out restoration. But if done properly, it will make the gun last another hundred years. And that would not be a bad thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Groh For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default 16

I have been where you are many years ago....have it cleaned period..it will last a hundred more years without restoration....it looks like a good honest gun..... don't do it.....I think you'll be sorry if you do....I was.....
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Marty Kohler For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,565 Times in 378 Posts

Leave it as is, looks like a nice gun from what I see. As others have said what your talking about is a full restoration, why ? As to chokes just use a spreaders ,RST and Polywad makes them. Plus you have no time for that work to be done.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
There is no reason to lengthen chambers or cones and unless it is F/F there is probably no reason to alter the chokes, just shooting spreaders will accomplish about the same thing.

Hunt with it this fall as it is and take it to the Skeet range or SC course and practice with it.
If you need more length you can use a slip-on pad with spacers in it if necessary.

Just out of curiosity and not intending to be insulting or flippant.... why did you buy a gun you knew you wouldn't be happy with?.
Chokes are M and F. I like the idea of seeing what spreaders look like on paper. Thanks.

I also like the idea of hunting it with it with temporary solutions to accommodate a 13 3/4" LOP.

As far as buying a gun that I knew I wouldn't be happy with, I would have been more than willing to pay more for a gun that suited me better, but I found nothing that fit the bill.

This gun looks to be relatively unmolested, and it wouldn't take that much to make it suit me perfectly, just a little time and money.

A cheap way out would be to bend the stock a bit, install a proper pad, and call it good, which might be exactly what I do for now.

But if the gun is nice and tidy, wouldn't a restoration be worth it? And I don't mean in terms of dollars and cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven Groh For Your Post:
Unread 08-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #9
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Kohler View Post
I have been where you are many years ago....have it cleaned period..it will last a hundred more years without restoration....it looks like a good honest gun..... don't do it.....I think you'll be sorry if you do....I was.....
Taken under advisement.

But I have to do something about the stock. I am not 5'2."
Unread 08-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

You guys are a practical bunch!

Where are the dissenting opinions?