Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 02-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #21
David Rios
Forum Associate

Member Info

I will check under the trigger guard thanks for the info your awesome.
David Rios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #22
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

If you carefully remove the screw securing the trigger guard to the stock and carefully lift the trigger guard strap from its recess in the wood and rotate it in a counter-clockwise motion you will see the gun's serial number stamped into the wood.

But keep in mind that a few savvy restockers knew enough to stamp the serial number there to make it look original. If there is no serial number stamped in the wood there you will know it is a restock.
If the number is stamped there the question of originality still remains.

I wonder why you came to us asking for answers if you're not willing to accept them?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #23
David Rios
Forum Associate

Member Info

I definitely accept all the input and I’m not undermining anyone just with everything we all learn something new everyday no one can be 100% when it comes to firearms. That’s why I am going to take your advise and check that. I’m absorbing all you wonderful people’s input even the firearm expert that I paid for to do the research for me. I’m just going to get the the info from Parker and that will answer a bunch of questions also. Like I said I’m just learning about this particular firearm so I appreciate all the information.
Unread 02-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #24
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Astounded Brian has not commented. But as he recently commented on a gun of mine, the chekereing borders are not mullered. And , I have a gun from around the same era, with the metal in similar condition to this gun, but my wood is markedly more worn. Although not an expert, if the wood Is original, it is significantly refinished, and re checkered. It does not look correct. And again, there should be a shield (aka medallion) on the top wrist of the stock. it is important to know, that it is no disgrace to own a gun that has been re stocked, because, as one member already said, that is far better than had the gun suffered a broken stock, and the owner disposed of the gun. Photos of the entire gun will provide you with a plethora of info from this group.
Unread 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #25
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

I hope the advice you are getting from the "expert" is free. That is about what it is worth. He is not an expert on Parker shotguns.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #26
David Rios
Forum Associate

Member Info

Good morning I wanted to add some pics to the post so everyone can take a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Rios For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #27
David Rios
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for that pic of the forend I see the serial number I didn’t notice before here are the pics and I placed upaside the stock to show the color of them both. Wow great info. I noticed in the pic of all the shotguns not all shotguns had the shield.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93EE4080-C77D-4030-BBBC-1F343BA944BF.jpg (500.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg E987216D-4272-4D53-B5BD-F84DC0A71B06.jpg (509.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg B0D94863-3C71-4A7A-A5E5-77F96E724BC2.jpg (494.6 KB, 1 views)
Unread 02-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #28
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,411 Posts

David, please accept the opinions of the real "experts" on this site. The buttstock is not original or if it is, it's been so highly modified so as to not look like anything Parker made. The forend is probably original judging by the age of the wood on the underside. A grade 0 gun would not have had checkering. Also, most of these guns in that serial number range had straight stocks. One last picture of the trigger guard tang with the serial number may help to find out if it was a pistol grip originally.

If you order a research letter, it will not answer any of your questions. All you will find out is the gauge, barrel steel, barrel length, and weight. You know most of these things already.

Most here don't like to place a value on guns but your gun isn't worth much. If it were mine and it's a heirloom handed down from my great grandfather, I'd want to keep it in honor of his memory.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 02-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #29
David Rios
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you so much for the info again I am learning. I will check for the serial number on the stock is this difficult to do I don’t want to get into something not knowing should I take to a local gunsmith for verification? The pic that TX provided I see that a couple look very similar the pic is not clear. Would anyone happen to know a member in the Orlando area that I can get a hands on look at the firearm. I know sometimes pictures don’t do justice. Or is there a place I can ship to for a evaluation. I may just keep it is a beautiful firearm and shoots well. Thanks for the info your awesome.
Unread 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #30
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,149 Times in 622 Posts

Hello David,

I am glad you are excited about your Parker and are shooting it! I attached pictures of one of my Parkers with a serial# in the 9000's. It is a grade 0, 10 gauge with Stub Twist barrels. The stocks are not checkered, though there is a medallion. This is what your gun probably looked like when new back in 1875. If yours did originally have a pistol grip stock(which may be possible) it would likely not be checkered and have a different shape.

There should be a medallion behind the hammers/tang regardless of stock configuration. I have Parker# 1219 and it has the medallion. By the way the bottom picture you mentioned by TXhuntermn(Mark) without the medallions on the tang are not all Parkers. He just has alot of awesome hammer guns

At some point someone cared enough to fix your gun or replace the stock so they could keep on using it. It might take away from the value, but not the character. I would buy another firing pin and keep on enjoying it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short10.jpg (62.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Short10-4.jpg (111.0 KB, 89 views)
Jay Oliver is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: